Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old November 10th, 2014, 01:04 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings: Complete?

Here is a list of 72 armies that were made using this list that were ranked B or lower (530 points, 20 figures):

Spoiler Alert!

These armies were made for a tournament that was reverse the whip, although I do not know how much each player took that into account when creating their armies. The list is pretty cool though. You can see that spiders, drones, arrow gruts, anubians, harqs and elves are really considered top tier in a B only format. Next month I will post the figure by figure W/L standings as well as I think that could lead to some interesting discussion.
Old November 20th, 2014, 06:29 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Fun list. As you say, interesting to see what becomes popular with the A units knocked out....
Old November 20th, 2014, 06:32 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Yes, when creating armies, I quickly found out my favorite figures are almost all in the A- ranking. They are good enough to perform well, but not good enough that I feel bad for playing them.

Just enough cheese is the trick.

If you're not rolling for Stinger Drain, you're not living.

Last edited by mtl1998; November 20th, 2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Cheesiness.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 07:37 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Fun list. As you say, interesting to see what becomes popular with the A units knocked out....
I find the meta way less interesting in B or minus format.
As you see in KD's armies it's almost alwaysthe same stuff which goes out.

Old November 22nd, 2014, 09:10 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Must resist temptation to mention Delta pricing. Resisting.... Resisting....
Old November 22nd, 2014, 05:12 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Yeah, it's great that Delta allowed you to take the often-forgotten 4th Mass to a tournament.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 05:45 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post

You make 2 separate statement here. I'm not sure if you are saying they are 2 different problems, or you are saying the meta is way less interesting because it's always the same stuff.

To your second sentence, I do not think it is any different with a full list of options. I do not have data nor could I find any list of armies from a 4x400 tournament, but my understanding from those that have gone to those kind of tournaments (most notably Gencon), is that those armies have a very limited core army set. You say the armies for the B format are always the same. I would argue that the variety seen here is no less than the variety seen at a standard 4 x ? tournament where different armies dominate but not a greater variety of armies. (Knights, Gruts, Vydar Range, Rat podges, Borgs, etc....)

My understanding of the main event at Gencon before the institution of reverse the whip was that army variety was fairly limited. Or at least no less limited than the army variety seen in my list.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:04 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Breakdown of units used in the 2010 main event, courtesy of lonewolf, can be found HERE.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:16 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

4x400 is very different from main event 2010 when one army have to do all the work and have to be very versatile, of course in such a format armies are very limited.
Example Dwarves, not good enough to go in straight up cheese format but perfect for 4x4, or other tier 2 squads like Arrows Gruts.

If you do the same format but with B or minus you would have also a very limited set of good armies, basically only few B commons squads have a chance and Arrows Gruts seems way better than the rest in this format.
As all the good anti-squads heroes are banned you have to fight squads with squads.
WoA aren't viable due to lots of ranged squads present, snipers and microcorps are bad due to squadscape, blade gruts are bad because they lose Grimnak and Nerak.
So basically all his left is Arrows Gruts, Aubriens, Marrden Hounds, Marro Drones and TSA .
In this meta Arrows Gruts dominate really hard.

If you compare 4x4 with B or minus and normal 4x4 I think normal have a higher number of squads to work with.
I don't like the format which just straight up bans some figures.
I would prefer a format where you have to take a certain amount of B or minus or with a multiplication factor.
F, D = x0
C- = x1
C = x2
C+ = x3
B- = x4
B = x5
B+ = x6
A- = x7
A = x8
A+ = x10

And let's say for a 500 points army, in addition of standart points limit you have another point limit where you multiply the point you take from each letter by the factor and it cannot exceeds 2500 points.

It deny cheese, it can bring back on the battlefield some figures deep in the rankings and without banning any unit.

Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:12 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Breakdown of units used in the 2010 main event, courtesy of lonewolf, can be found HERE.
Haha! As many Shades of Bleakewoode as 4th Mass.

I've always been against bans based on these rankings, but if people have fun with it, I won't try to stop them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:27 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Haha! As many Shades of Bleakewoode as 4th Mass.
Yeah, it's a little misleading; two of those shades armies are 1x (and terrible armies). Same for one of the 4th. So really all it was was two 4th armies (pickle's 4thx4 Braxas, and Rev's 4thx4 Sentinels x2) and one shade army (gulp's PK/Shade/Krav).

2010 was really the last year we saw a large number of obviously uncompetitive builds out there, which I guess isn't surprising since it was the last main event before the discontinuation was announced. Here is 2011's armies; the top armies are not quite as nasty thanks to RtW, but the bottom half of the armies are definitely stronger. (Still 72 players so this is close to apples to apples.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I've always been against bans based on these rankings, but if people have fun with it, I won't try to stop them.
Yeah, it's something that people do as a variant and it hasn't come close to taking over, so I wouldn't worry about it. This thread has done more good than harm for the competitive Heroscape community, and it's not close.

I'm on record saying that I'd lean towards banning the triple A+ combo in a double blind format, but nowadays I'm all-in on "take 2" or other drafting formats that make such a ban irrelevant anyway.
Old November 26th, 2014, 04:17 PM

El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If there is a tournament where cheese is banned I would suggest calling it the Lactose Intolerant Classic.

Louisville Monthly Tournament
"I am a much better player than my record would indicate."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion