Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old February 28th, 2018, 03:36 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Scytale's customs - Vydar kyrie highlighted (7/17/17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
The Yellow Ooze is up there too, as a design that plays amazing.
This one would have my vote for your greatest accomplishment. A perfect showcase of the creativity and innovation in your designs.

Wish someday we would see more added to this thread!
Old February 28th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Scytale's customs - Vydar kyrie highlighted (7/17/17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmon View Post
Wish someday we would see more added to this thread!
Thanks for saying so! Who knows when inspiration will strike.

Actually, I did make an entry into the December Custom Contest. I have been meaning to make a Unique version and post it here. That's just an exception, though.
Old May 21st, 2018, 09:41 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Scytale's customs - Belial (new!) (5/21/18)

I've been a fan of Dr.Goomonkey's custom contests for a while. Always great to see lively events like these on the site. I've just been a spectator for the most part, though, as the sculpts used either have been stuff I've already done or stuff that just didn't interest me. The 2017 December competition was an exception. I hadn't done a manticore before and I felt inspired.

The figure I chose to use is a D&D figure, so I went with a direct port from the D&D version of the unit. I see porting D&D units as different than the usual freeform design, as it needs to honor the spirit of the original version yet fit into the Heroscape ruleset and strive for all the usual goals of balance, theme, creativity, and playability. It's a different sort of challenge.

D&D manticores aren't too complicated. Their defining feature is their poisonous tail spikes which they can shoot at targets. Of course I needed to incorporate that, but I wanted it to be more interesting than just a ranged attack on a flier. Heroes generally need either a powerful single attack or multi-attack/target potential to be viable. While the 5 Attack is pretty potent, I put a conditional multi-attack on the special attack. This creates tension in how the unit plays, rewarding bold moves that come with risk. It's straightforward but unique and fun. I also adding bonding potential by making him a Predator, though I don't think the unit requires it to be valuable.

The version I submitted is Uncommon, which I think is a better fit, but I don't want to buy multiples of this now rare figure. So I changed him to be Unique. Unfortunately it didn't score highly in the voting, probably because of the unit's simplicity. I feel the unit is a solid, fun design, but it isn't very flashy.

Manticore Sniper (D&D Desert of Desolation)
Old May 21st, 2018, 11:25 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice design. The twist in the special attack is clever and really gives it uniqueness. A simple design, perhaps, but one that should present interesting game play decisions.

Why the choice of Einar? Aquilla feels almost obvious.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmon View Post
Why the choice of Einar? Aquilla feels almost obvious.
D&D manticores are evil, so it doesn't really fit Aquilla. Einar sometimes dabbles in evil, and the earthtone fits Einar's color scheme fits pretty well.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 06:40 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

I think of Manticores as Einar due to the mythological context - they're a mythological beast originating from the Persian Empire (arguably Earth's first 'super-power'). The mythological context means that, IMO, they fit into Einar the same way Gurei Oni and Aristeos do. I did the same for my entry.

Fun card.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old May 22nd, 2018, 08:28 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Simply awesome. Nice card.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 02:12 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Scytale! I am so glad to see you share another design. This one is an especially fine example of the iron triangle of mechanics, theme, and mini. The power is an excellent implementation of the theme, without needless ornamentation.

Why not word Tail Spikes with a simple "After attacking normally"? Would that language imply that there must be a normal attack first, before Tail Spikes may be used?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 22nd, 2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
This one is an especially fine example of the iron triangle of mechanics, theme, and mini. The power is an excellent implementation of the theme, without needless ornamentation.
Thanks!

And thanks to everyone else who has chimed in. Your support is appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Why not word Tail Spikes with a simple "After attacking normally"? Would that language imply that there must be a normal attack first, before Tail Spikes may be used?
It's a tough call, as there's no precedent. "After attacking normally" could be interpreted to mean a normal attack is required. Even though the normal heroscape interpretation is the opposite ("after moving," for example), I felt that clarity was better option. Especially since this was a contest entry.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 03:21 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by scytale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper
It's a tough call, as there's no precedent. "After attacking normally" could be interpreted to mean a normal attack is required. Even though the normal heroscape interpretation is the opposite ("after moving," for example), I felt that clarity was better option. Especially since this was a contest entry.
Right, you put your finger on why I was curious. There's no harm in the language, though if it's not necessary I would prefer (if it were mine) to leave it off. Brevity and all that.

I didn't realize this was a contest entry. Well, I'm glad something inspired you to take out your custom-making magic markers again.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 11th, 2018, 12:50 PM

Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby!

This custom seems fun to play, but does Belial special powers fit a manticore of his stature. His Tail Spikes Special Attack be like Indomitable but for how many figures you can attack. You can make it 2 additional targets if Belial is unengaged and after he attacks normally, he may attack 1 additional non-adjacent figure with Tail Spikes Special Attack.
Old September 11th, 2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper 101 View Post
This custom seems fun to play, but does Belial special powers fit a manticore of his stature. His Tail Spikes Special Attack be like Indomitable but for how many figures you can attack. You can make it 2 additional targets if Belial is unengaged and after he attacks normally, he may attack 1 additional non-adjacent figure with Tail Spikes Special Attack.
Thanks for commenting!

It's easy to overdesign. We all love to attach loads of bells and whistles to our customs. The reality, though, is that doing so does not make it better. In fact, the longer you are in the customs world, the more you come to appreciate effective simplicity.

In this case, the design is meant to be a mid-level attacker. I focused on making the unit effective and interesting to play for the cost. Note that Belial has useful multi-attack potential, but it requires some risky play to get it. That creates decision points for both the attacker and defender, as well as some tension. All of this with very little complexity.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards