Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old January 26th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: To Restrict or Not To Restrict? That Is The Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubobj View Post
Is there another glyph that you think that would cut down on commons?
Although someone might cry if you suggest it, Thorian is almost explicitly anti-ranged squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Although someone might cry if you suggest it, Thorian is almost explicitly anti-ranged squad.
Glyphs themselves encourage cheap squad use. That said, the healer is a bad one for squads. They can never step on it so they can't burn it or move through it, and it obviously encourages hero use.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Kelda (heal) and Ulvana (unique attack) are two less controversial options.

EDIT: 'ed
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have not read through the six pages of this thread, so I hope this comment is still relevant. I like the idea of mixing things up, but I'd be a little worried about things becoming a little bland given the 2X common restriction. To me, it seems that the best army build would be 2X Rats and then something with solid ranged figures. Maybe this:

2X Rats 80
Raelin 160
Major Q10 310
Krav 410
Laglor 520
Marcu 540

Or maybe some sort of hodge-podge type army with 2X Rats.

2X Rats 80
Raelin 160
Krav 260
Kaemon Awa 380
Airborne Elite 490
Marro Warriors 540

An alternative to this would be to swap out Raelin and Kaemon for Cyprien and Sonya.

In no way am I saying I think the army restriction is bad, I'm just questioning whether or not you would achieve the desired results. In other words, would you actually mix up the army choices or would you just see the already elite armies that don't require mass commons? I'm not really sure.
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:24 AM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_poison View Post
I have not read through the six pages of this thread, so I hope this comment is still relevant. I like the idea of mixing things up, but I'd be a little worried about things becoming a little bland given the 2X common restriction. To me, it seems that the best army build would be 2X Rats and then something with solid ranged figures. Maybe this:

2X Rats 80
Raelin 160
Major Q10 310
Krav 410
Laglor 520
Marcu 540

Or maybe some sort of hodge-podge type army with 2X Rats.

2X Rats 80
Raelin 160
Krav 260
Kaemon Awa 380
Airborne Elite 490
Marro Warriors 540

An alternative to this would be to swap out Raelin and Kaemon for Cyprien and Sonya.

In no way am I saying I think the army restriction is bad, I'm just questioning whether or not you would achieve the desired results. In other words, would you actually mix up the army choices or would you just see the already elite armies that don't require mass commons? I'm not really sure.
I think something you may have missed is the tournament that started this big to do about restrictions has two resrictions. No more than 2x commons total, and no more than 200 pts. of ranged units. That would nix both armies you listed. You are right that there will always be a way to get around restrictions and find the best army. I think that the restrictions could create a new set of Tier 1 armies for each event. Finding those armies are just up to the participants, as there will be no "list" of past successful armies in the point value necessary. I have truly enjoyed the past couple weeks of putting together lists and look for to the restricted event this weekend.
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

The "best" army under this format is possibly:

2xRats
Q9
Raelin RotV
Cyprien
Sonya

Certainly Cyprien's value is huge with the prevalence of heroes and absence of range.

~Aldin, who has Glads or X17 in most of the army builds he's contemplating

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion