Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old August 4th, 2022, 01:25 PM

the1whoknoxx is surprisingly tart
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy266 View Post
I'll echo my thoughts that unpainted minis is extremely disappointing. I've gotten deep into Heroscape again the last 18 months, active in the community the last year. I have also painted several hundred of the official units that I missed because I was a kid. And yet, I really, really do not want these minis to be unpainted. Terrain is still speculation, so despite being overjoyed yesterday, I suddenly have no desire to purchase this master set. If the big draw is new units (that I have to put hours of work into to make them not look like every other tabletop game mini) then I'd rather just wait for the next C3V release and get my 6 new, playable heroes for 20 bucks. I'm sure the lore and the units will be cool, and the terrain might be interesting, which will be the big draw for me. I know a lot of hard work went into this by dedicated people, and I'm sure I'll splurge at some point. But buying this game won't feel like Heroscape to me. It will feel like any other generic mini game that the VC made cards for so I can use them with Heroscape. I hope this was not too cutting, and I am probably overreacting. We don't even know for sure if they are or aren't. But I just want to add to the feedback here and hope that it is taken for its intent, which is constructive criticism.
We have confirmation that the minis won't be painted because of cost constraints. Terrain will be two toned like the old sets. While I hear your concerns and echo them, I have wanted Scape back in an official capacity since it was discontinued. The positives that come with active support by the company that makes it are far too numerous to be off it because the minis are unpainted. I will be putting my money where my mouth is and supporting Craig and the team bringing back the game that I love and have been hoping would return for a decade plus. I hope everyone else is understanding of why the minis are unpainted and does the same
Old August 4th, 2022, 01:29 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I suppose this is the ultimate proof of Vasel's law now haha.
Old August 4th, 2022, 01:31 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama View Post
Somebody tell Ry to post the pics I texted him
Thanks..... yeah, I'm working; cant do that while working. (shouldn't even be doing this)

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; August 4th, 2022 at 02:11 PM. Reason: I said YOU were a site supporter so YOU can upload pics
Old August 4th, 2022, 02:02 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1whoknoxx View Post
Quote:
I'll echo my thoughts that unpainted minis is extremely disappointing. I've gotten deep into Heroscape again the last 18 months, active in the community the last year. I have also painted several hundred of the official units that I missed because I was a kid. And yet, I really, really do not want these minis to be unpainted. Terrain is still speculation, so despite being overjoyed yesterday, I suddenly have no desire to purchase this master set. If the big draw is new units (that I have to put hours of work into to make them not look like every other tabletop game mini) then I'd rather just wait for the next C3V release and get my 6 new, playable heroes for 20 bucks. I'm sure the lore and the units will be cool, and the terrain might be interesting, which will be the big draw for me. I know a lot of hard work went into this by dedicated people, and I'm sure I'll splurge at some point. But buying this game won't feel like Heroscape to me. It will feel like any other generic mini game that the VC made cards for so I can use them with Heroscape. I hope this was not too cutting, and I am probably overreacting. We don't even know for sure if they are or aren't. But I just want to add to the feedback here and hope that it is taken for its intent, which is constructive criticism.
We have confirmation that the minis won't be painted because of cost constraints. Terrain will be two toned like the old sets. While I hear your concerns and echo them, I have wanted Scape back in an official capacity since it was discontinued. The positives that come with active support by the company that makes it are far too numerous to be off it because the minis are unpainted. I will be putting my money where my mouth is and supporting Craig and the team bringing back the game that I love and have been hoping would return for a decade plus. I hope everyone else is understanding of why the minis are unpainted and does the same
I think an important question is whether or not a new player should buy this, or buy a used version of ROTV. The benefit with the new content is that you will get fresh terrain that won't break as easy; however the downside is that you get less figures plus they're unpainted.

I will be buying this set because I already have the old content, but one of my friends has shown interest in the game and as of now I'm still leaning towards recommending ROTV as his first purchase. Then after that, it's still uncertain because it would depend on what his preferences are for character models and abilities. I could see him not getting this due to the unpainted minis because he could instead get some used older content that doesn't require the work

From a new players perspective, I can see this being the superior purchase over older content only if this new set is cheaper to a meaningful degree, but as of yet we don't know the pricing
Old August 4th, 2022, 02:09 PM

Tritzix Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi View Post
I think an important question is whether or not a new player should buy this, or buy a used version of ROTV. The benefit with the new content is that you will get fresh terrain that won't break as easy; however the downside is that you get less figures plus they're unpainted.

I will be buying this set because I already have the old content, but one of my friends has shown interest in the game and as of now I'm still leaning towards recommending ROTV as his first purchase. Then after that, it's still uncertain because it would depend on what his preferences are for character models and abilities. I could see him not getting this due to the unpainted minis because he could instead get some used older content that doesn't require the work

From a new players perspective, I can see this being the superior purchase over older content only if this new set is cheaper to a meaningful degree, but as of yet we don't know the pricing
To be fair, we do not know that the new Master Set will only have the figures shown. There could be more figures than what is on display.
Old August 4th, 2022, 02:20 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritzix View Post
Quote:

To be fair, we do not know that the new Master Set will only have the figures shown. There could be more figures than what is on display.
True, there could be more and we're only the second day into the announcement so it makes sense that we would be missing information
I'm just wondering why they wouldn't reveal the whole set in that display, specifically to ensure people don't come to incorrect conclusions
Old August 4th, 2022, 02:26 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1whoknoxx View Post
Quote:
Hasbro's support is certainly appreciated. But it seems like "accessibility" only means "lower costs" here. How many of us played this as kids and fell in love with the game. And how many kids will be playing with this new master set? It seems like the accessibility is just referring to the current community. I'm not turned off from Heroscape in any way, but I think like many others when the news broke I had the highest hopes for the game to "feel" like Heroscape. This won't capture that magic for me personally.
Old August 4th, 2022, 02:32 PM

Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby!

If the minis are unpainted, the set better not be anywhere near $100.Hasbro has been getting cheaper and cheaper across all of their lines, while pushing prices up and up. I hope this isnt another example of that. To me, the prepainted minis was one of the things that made Heroscape unique from most DND games.

Old August 4th, 2022, 02:34 PM

Tritzix Woo who?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritzix View Post
Quote:

True, there could be more and we're only the second day into the announcement so it makes sense that we would be missing information
I'm just wondering why they wouldn't reveal the whole set in that display, specifically to ensure people don't come to incorrect conclusions
They probably did it to ensure they can drum up some interest or appeal. Avalon Hill is opening a discord on 8/8, which at that point will open a lot more information.

Either way, I'm excited. The second hand market is crazy and I'd love to see Scape thrive. Plus, painting minis could become a new fun hobby and we could see players with unique styles to their units
Old August 4th, 2022, 02:44 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I think people asking for painted minis are (no offense) asking for something completely out of the question in the current market.
Old August 4th, 2022, 02:59 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

As someone who still has all his old collection, and lots of it, I'd be more interested in the figures and any new terrain, rules, etc. than in more of the old terrain. It would be great if they offer figures only sets for us.

I wouldn't mind painting a few figures, especially if we have color card to guide us. But if you don't paint, you can get people to paint for you, especially of you pay them. Of course, if you don't play competitively, you can always use proxy figures, which usually do come painted. We've been doing that for years for some of the C3Vs. After my Cyprien went AWOL and stayed away, the only figure I'm missing of a huge collection, rather than obsess over him, I just use another figure.
Old August 4th, 2022, 03:00 PM

foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby!

Wow scape is back! On the whole I’m very excited and optimistic about it.

I do have concerns that figures will be unpainted. I started Heroscape when I was pretty young, and although I have since become familiar with the more intense miniature hobbies that require painting and assembling I am worried that Heroscape is losing that ease of use quality that made it possible for kids like myself and my friends to pick up and play back then.

I understand that painting the models would be expensive and that having prepainted sets might be just too expensive to be feasible. I just want it out there that my friends and I wouldn’t of picked up Heroscape if it wasn’t for it being so easy to play out of the box. I’m an adult now and I’ve painted miniatures so it’s not personally a deal breaker for me, but I just want it out there that Heroscape really appealed to a younger demographic that didn’t have the skill or patience for traditional miniatures.

I’ve been on this site long enough to know that everyone working on this has the best intent and is making the best decisions that they can, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I look forward to how this reboot/remake/sequel develops with great interest.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion