Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: 520 General Wars Thread: critique my builds, post yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
The Elusive Aquilla Ranged Build:
Brave arrow: 50
4 x Mohicans: 330
2 X Spiders: 410
1 X Wyvern: 510
This looks like a fun build to play, but I've found that the spiders play a lot more competitively when Estivara is thrown into the mix (even if it is a little more OM intensive).

Howzabout...
Brave Arrow 50
3x Mohicans 260
2x Spiders 340
1x Wyvern 440
Estivara 520

A very minor tweak, but I've never found the spiders to last long as a screen. Buffing them for combat with a range 6 aura might be just what the doctor ordered.

EDIT: Nevermind...Estivara isn't exactly working for Aquilla!
I know! I wish we could get a by on the Vipers too. The moheicans with 7 move are dangerous. I think a 3x Moheican, 3x viper with Mittens and BA is my favorite army. All you need is a weighted D20 and you are on a roll.

Actually come to think of it:
4 x Mohicans: 280
1 X Spiders: 320
2 X Wyvern: 520

Use the spiders for om management and the Moheicans for everything else. With the right maps you might just have a shot at winning, thought you would not have room for error.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:57 AM

RattyZ is surprisingly tart

Quote:

Use the spiders for om management and the Moheicans for everything else. With the right maps you might just have a shot at winning, thought you would not have room for error.
Not bad, but I'd be VERY wary of those spiders, 1 set of spiders with 2 defense each just wouldn't cut it.

If you're doing an Aquilla Ranged build, why not something like

Mohicans x5 350
Brave Arrow 400
Water Elemental x4 520 / 20

Super easy OM management.
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattyZ View Post
Quote:

Not bad, but I'd be VERY wary of those spiders, 1 set of spiders with 2 defense each just wouldn't cut it.

If you're doing an Aquilla Ranged build, why not something like

Mohicans x5 350
Brave Arrow 400
Water Elemental x4 520 / 20

Super easy OM management.
I dinno,

4 x common just doesn't seem competive, and considering you will face Raelin and Q9 a couple of heavy hitters like the Wyverns will be required. Even most of the Einar builts feature a key figure like Marcus or Kato.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM

grunttactics Woo who?

How about this Jandar army:

Omnicron Snipers X 3
Omnicron Repulsors X 4
Zetacron

That is 520 points and 23 spaces of Soulborg.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM

mikelizzio knows what's in an order marker mikelizzio knows what's in an order marker

I've never really figured out how to use the repulsors. Are they just Soulborg counters themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunttactics View Post
How about this Jandar army:

Omnicron Snipers X 3
Omnicron Repulsors X 4
Zetacron

That is 520 points and 23 spaces of Soulborg.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

The only Aquilla ranged build that makes sense to me is this one:

Mogrimm 120
Brave Arrow 50
5xMohicans 350
520/17

Mogrimm helps with initiative and high defense figures. Mohicans are actually pretty good against the fairly common "range with a melee screen" armies.

Grist for the mill:

3xGlads 240
2xBlasts 120
Q10 150
Otonashi 10
520/23

Gives Glad/Blast a special attack without making the Glads any less scary.

I've been appreciating the Aubriens a lot lately:

6xAA 420
2xWoA 100
500/24

I've been noticing that frenzy changes a lot of the risks my opponent is willing to take as well as offering opportunites that don't exist for any other figure when it hits. If the AA can kill anything with range or a special attack, the WoA become amazing clean up figures.

~Aldin, contemplatively

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:41 PM

mikelizzio knows what's in an order marker mikelizzio knows what's in an order marker

I love these two:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
The only Aquilla ranged build that makes sense to me is this one:

Mogrimm 120
Brave Arrow 50
5xMohicans 350
520/17

Mogrimm helps with initiative and high defense figures. Mohicans are actually pretty good against the fairly common "range with a melee screen" armies.

6xAA 420
2xWoA 100
500/24

I've been noticing that frenzy changes a lot of the risks my opponent is willing to take as well as offering opportunites that don't exist for any other figure when it hits. If the AA can kill anything with range or a special attack, the WoA become amazing clean up figures.
Unfortunately I don't have any AA, so I won't be fielding that one any time soon. But I finally got to play against them recently, and I agree: frenzy definitely makes you reconsider your strategy.

--Mike
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:43 PM

Update: this army is incredibly vulnerable to orcs. Disengage neutralizes this build's strengths almost completely.

Quote:
The Haunted Fen
Fen Hydra x2 240
Phantom Knights x4 280
520, 16 hexes

-- I'm really looking forward to playing this one. I love the Hydra, but never seem to keep it at full strength for long. The PKs should tie up the ranged threats. What weaknesses should I be aware of in this build?
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hydra x2 240
Krug 360
Arrow Gruts x2 440
Swog x3 515 or Rats x2 520

Cheerleaders or screen?

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Oh, if only I were playing...

Venoc Vipers x6 - 240
Venoc Warlord - 360
Sonlen / Syvarris + Deadeye Dan - 520

Probably can't beat the Mass army, but not a lot can in this format.

Actually, I might like Vipers x7+Syv/Kyntela better.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:55 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizzio View Post
Update: this army is incredibly vulnerable to orcs. Disengage neutralizes this build's strengths almost completely.

Quote:
The Haunted Fen
Fen Hydra x2 240
Phantom Knights x4 280
520, 16 hexes

-- I'm really looking forward to playing this one. I love the Hydra, but never seem to keep it at full strength for long. The PKs should tie up the ranged threats. What weaknesses should I be aware of in this build?
You shouldn't worry too much about one specific match-up, except maybe 4th Mass or Knights in General Wars- it seemed like there were a ton of people playing Jandar last year. If there are lots of armies that neutralize it, then yeah, that's a problem.

Having said that... one of my two losses in General Wars last year was to Tiny Timmy playing Heavy Gruts.

Even after their success last year, I still sometimes wonder if the Gruts are a little underrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post

6xAA 420
2xWoA 100
500/24
Momo the monkey* played 6x AA, 2x VV last year to win Ullar's champion in General Wars [4-1 record overall]. He was my other loss. I made a bonehead move in not keeping Nilfheim close enough to the Kelda glyph, and lost him to some timely VV Frenzy rolls. I might even just grab Kyntela Gwyn and put her in the starting zone instead of the WoA. Depends on how much melee you expect I guess.

*AKA spider's younger brother

It might be a little different with Greenscales, but it almost feels like you're playing for 7th place if you run Ullar, imo. But you can win the General then...

Hmm what would the best Heavy Grut army be?

5x Heavy Gruts 350
Grimnak 470
Nerak 520 (24) ?

Certainly seems pretty solid. 4th, 10th, and 'trons would be your problem matchups, most likely, but winnable on the right map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; May 21st, 2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Note: I played Nlifheim, 3x KoW, and Sir Gilbert, like everyone else.
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:17 AM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I dinno,

4 x common just doesn't seem competive, and considering you will face Raelin and Q9 a couple of heavy hitters like the Wyverns will be required.
I agree that x4 common hero isn't very competetive, but don't forget that this is General Wars, so while you face Raelin and Q9 they will never be in the same army

I never lay awake at night wondering how to design an army that will help me win 40% of my games. -- Jexik

Do NOT click this link.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion