Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old September 30th, 2013, 11:33 PM

C$$ knows what's in an order marker C$$ knows what's in an order marker
Situational Strategy: Gut Check

So, you're Heroscape instincts are pretty good huh? Would you say... sharper than a razor? Keener than a hawk's eye? More refined than granulated table sugar, even? Well, why don't we put them to the test?

*Disclaimers:
1. Consider these quizzes like you're sitting at a tournament table: you don't have time to run the calculations. Take a moment, consider the scenario, then listen to your gut.

2. Obviously there are lots of strategic concerns (map positioning, order marker placement, etc etc). For simplicity, ignore all considerations but what's given in the scenario.

So... without further ado:

SCENARIO 1:

You have a Cather Spearman against a Krav Magna Agent. You can either:

1. Move adjacent to the Krav and attack, negating his stealth dodge, but giving him height and losing your extra attack die from impale (2 attack on 4 defense).

-OR-

2. Stay one space away from the Krav and attack at level height. This gives your spearman an extra attack die with impale and one less defense die for the Krav, but it brings stealth dodge into play (3 attack on 3 defense with stealth dodge).

Which choice has a higher chance of killing that pesky Krav?

The answer is....
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by C$$; October 1st, 2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:38 PM

Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Situational Strategy: Gut Check

Move in and attack melee.
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:48 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

I appreciate the assumptions and external variables we are supposed to ignore, but the relevant figures' other inherent stats lead me to conclude that I would take the 2v4 engaged options with reduced emphasis on the actual probability kill values.

On any given map, the 6 move and 7 range of the Kravs gives them the ability to easily escape the 4 move, 2 range Cathar leading me to say if I can engage them now, I had better do so, because I may never get to attack them again.

Although my official answer would be to engage 3 Kravs with 3 Spearmen, and let a 4th attack from range (Letting his attack be the first and upon a kill attempt a 2nd ranged attack and so on...)
Old October 1st, 2013, 12:12 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by C$$ View Post
So, you're Heroscape instincts are pretty good huh? Would you say... sharper than a razor? Keener than a hawk's eye? More refined than granulated table sugar, even? Well, why don't we put them to the test?

*Disclaimers:
1. Consider these quizzes like you're sitting at a tournament table: you don't have time to run the calculations. Take a moment, consider the scenario, then listen to your gut.

2. Obviously there are lots of strategic concerns (map positioning, order marker placement, etc etc). For simplicity, ignore all considerations but what's given in the scenario.

So... without further ado:

SCENARIO 1:

You have a Cather Spearman against a Krav Magna Agent. You can either:

1. Move adjacent to the Krav and attack, negating his stealth dodge, but giving him height and losing your extra attack die from impale (2 attack on 4 defense).

-OR-

2. Stay one space away from the Krav and attack at level height. This gives your spearman an extra attack die with impale and one less defense die for the Krav, but it brings stealth dodge into play (3 attack on 3 defense with stealth dodge).

Which choice has a higher chance of killing that pesky Krav?

The answer is....
Spoiler Alert!
Option 1, definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
I appreciate the assumptions and external variables we are supposed to ignore, but the relevant figures' other inherent stats lead me to conclude that I would take the 2v4 engaged options with reduced emphasis on the actual probability kill values.

On any given map, the 6 move and 7 range of the Kravs gives them the ability to easily escape the 4 move, 2 range Cathar leading me to say if I can engage them now, I had better do so, because I may never get to attack them again.

Although my official answer would be to engage 3 Kravs with 3 Spearmen, and let a 4th attack from range (Letting his attack be the first and upon a kill attempt a 2nd ranged attack and so on...)
kevindola's answer is the most persuasive, imo.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; October 1st, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old October 1st, 2013, 02:46 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

That is a tough call. I'd probably go with range because I have a higher probability of getting a skull and my opponent would have a better chance of getting 0 shields. Going engaged is almost more about can my opponent roll 2 shields every time I get that .25 chance of 2 skulls.

It is interesting that the probabilities are that close.
Old October 1st, 2013, 02:56 AM

Quote:

Haha, that's probably my biggest gripe with the Cathar. Even if you brave the spear and engage one, it doesn't mean you've taken away his impale. One of his buddies is just going to run up, poke you at range (more often than not THROUGH the spearman you just engaged), and kill your guy. At which point the tied up spearman is now free to poke someone else, and so on...

In short, with braced spear they are very good at denying your melee squaddies attacks, but reach makes it very easy for them to get most of their attacks at full force. But I digress...

Definitely feel free to explain your choice, but the answer I give is going to be very limited in scope. Please consider these quizzes more as puzzles with some interesting, possibly unintuitive, underlying statistics than anything even remotely resembling a strategy guide or tactical advice.

Last edited by C$$; October 1st, 2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old October 1st, 2013, 06:45 AM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

Unless the Cathar has MDG and/or Count Raymond. This give them a threat range of 7 or 8 (depending on how many move boosts you have) which is enough to catch the Krav who has a normal range of 7.

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:36 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Love this thread, good stuff all around.

The most important point I haven't seen considered yet is the probability of the spearman getting killed on the next turn if you miss. This makes the question even more map-dependent, of course. But, ceritus paribus, if you can deny the Krav height in the event of a miss on your attack, that's pretty important.

If the Krav has places where it can run to where you won't be able to attack on the next OM, then that does trump other considerations most of the time. Gotta tie 'em down.

Another important point is where the Krav army's next OM is. As soon as a spearman engages, he loses braced spear, so he becomes a prime target for melee figures. If I thought the next OM was on the Krav, I might engage to hold the agent in place, but if I thought the next OM was on a melee figure, I might stay unengaged, on level ground, and keep braced spear in play.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:24 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

#2. Better odds I think. Rather face the one-shield-block than him throwing extra dice.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old October 10th, 2013, 11:18 AM

Who's up for round 2? This information MAY come in handy if you're playing in Online Season 10 *wink* *wink*

*Disclaimers:

S2: The Archers that Cried Wolf

You have the Wolves of Badru. You're playing against the Tagawa Samurai Archers. Do you

1. Use your normal attack against the archers and risk the dreaded Samurai Counterstrike? (4A vs 3D down, 3A vs 3D level, 3A vs 4D up)

-OR-

2. Go with the wolves special attack and gamble on Pounce Implosion? (5A vs 3D down, 5A vs 3D level, 5A vs 4D up)

The answer is....
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by C$$; October 10th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old October 10th, 2013, 11:24 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Hm... if I have height, it's definitely 1. If they have height, it's definitely 2. If we're on level ground it's tough to decide without knowing the rest of the situation... maybe attack some with Pounce and some with a Normal Attack.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 10th, 2013, 12:46 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Live by the Pounce; Die by the Pounce!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles