Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Dungeons and Dragons Scenarios
Dungeons and Dragons Scenarios This is the place to put all of our D&D adventure type scenarios. Come here when you want to browse user submitted adventures.

Old January 25th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
D&D scenarios without a D&D master set: TheAverageFan's D&D

I'll get straight to the point with this scenario me and my pals have been going with for awhile:
First, build a stage. Doesn't have to be big, but either seperate rooms or a twisting hallway style stage works best (if you want, seperate floors work too). Also, to make this even more complex than it needs to be, you might want to build a little stage off to the side, not connected in any way to the main area (a few 24-hex tiles work fine, and maybe a tree in the center wouldn't hurt either). I find different types of rooms to be effective for most fun during gameplay; I had a jungle/plains as the entrence to the dungeon, then a sand area, followed by a hallway made of rock tiles (or road tiles, whichever works), then a snow area, then another rock hallway, leading to a lava area, finishing up with a rock/water/road area.
< if this is you right now, leave. It's only going to get worse...
So, after making your stage, place glyphs. There are three different ways to place glyphs. Have them placed randomly (bad idea), have the DM place them (worse idea if he wants to win), or, my favorite, have one very responsible player place the glyphs. If the player DOES place the glyphs, however, than he cannot pick up any glyphs himself, nor can he drop any hints about what the glyphs are or where (unless the team is about be eaten alive when they haven't even gotten that far at all. All glyphs are face down, except for maybe an occasional defense +1 glyph early on. Speaking of glyphs...
Treasure glyphs work great and all, but if your like me and you don't happen to have a master set 3 (nor want one), regular glyphs work just fine. A hero in your party may carry up to 6 glyphs with him, cannot give glyphs to other players, and if they so wish to, may swap out glyphs they posses with ones on the ground (only if their "bag" is full). When said hero dies, he/she drops all their glyphs. A character can only carry one type of glyph at a time (for instance, that dirty Major Q9 cannot carry 4 defense +2s with him, only one. If a hero has a defense plus 2 glyph (or any other glyph for that matter) and flips over a face-down glyph only to find that it is also a defense plus two, it remains face up for another player to obtain. In addition, attack +1, defense +1/2, range +4, and unique attack +1 can olny be used 3 times (placing wound markers on the glyph is a good way to keep track) and then it is destroyed. Some glyphs are traps.
Seems complex, eh? Well, the match hasn't started yet, and I still have alot of ground to cover, so hold on a minute...

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old January 25th, 2010, 01:59 PM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: D&D scenarios without a D&D master set: TheAverageFan's

Ahem...
Remember that little stage I told you to put off to the side? Yeah, the one with the tree. That is what I like to call "the shop" Here you can recieve and spend "coins" to get goods. Now, you must understand that these coins aren't like points one would spend on a squad or on a hero prior to the battle. One coin is roughly worth 10 of those points (or a 10-point ninja). Keep track of your coins on a scrap peice of paper or a calculator (I use an index card). There are three ways to get coins.
1. Find them. If you want, glyphs of Brandar might contain coins, or the responsible player might place them on the stage somewhere. I occasionally put a few negation markers (since I have quite a few) in a well covered spot.
2. Sell stuff. In the shop, you can sell your glyphs for easy money, or if you're running out of room. Prices vary.
3. Kill guys. You'll be fighting alot of squads, and a few heroes as well. When you kill a full enemy squad (such as 4 blade gruts), roll your 20d. If you get a 16-19, you'll get one coin. If you get a 20, you get 2 coins. Sounds pretty crappy? It is. When you kill an enemy hero, however, and roll a 16-19, you get their point value, divided by 10, then divided by 2 (round up if the last digit isn't a 0) in coins. If you roll a 20, you get the point value of that figure divided by 10. That's 21 coins from charos!
In a sec, I'll go into what you do with coins...

Old January 25th, 2010, 02:10 PM

A note about coins, the whole team shares them, so it doesn't matter who gets the coins or spends the coins, or whatever.
Anyways, There's lotsa stuff you can do here. Actually, there's 4 things. I'll go into them now.
1. Gamble: to gamble, you have to put in any amount of coins in your possession (1-whatever). The DM will then show you 4 order markers, 1 three order marker and 3 "X" order markers. Then he will flip them to the other side and mix them up. You then pick one. If it's an X, you lose the money you put in. If its a three, you get your money back, along with three times what you put in. Sounds risky? You can make up your own ways if you want.
2. Buy squad: Like most D&D scenarios, your army shoud consist of unique heroes only. Here, you can buy ONE squad to assist you. I use, and suggest, the 10th regiment of foot (don't ask why). They should generally cost their point value divided by 10, -1 coins (thus, a squad of blade gruts would cost 3 coins to hire). In addition, if at least one member of your squad is still alive, you can buy the rest back here for 2 coins (1 if the squad costs 4 coins or less to hire). This could save you some money. This squad goes after your turn and before the DM's turn (an extra turn?? Niiiiice.)If the entire squad dies, they go back here and can be repurchased. Remember, squads cannot pick up or use glyphs in this scenario.

Old January 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM

3. Glyph selling, buyback, and fusing. Far most important and interesting. First off, you can sell glyphs. Prices vary, and I'll tell you them later. You can also buy the glyphs you've sold or used back here, for roughly twice their selling price. Most interesting of all is glyph fusing. For a small amount of money (usually 1 coin, or 2 for more powerful glyphs), you can fuse glyphs with other glyphs or disarmed traps. I'll tell you how to obtain disarmed traps later. For instance, if you fuse a defense +1 glyph with a massive curse glyph for one coin, it creates a new glyph. It does the same thing as a normal defense plus 1, but when the holder succesfully blocks an attack with it, he rolls the 20d. If he gets a 20, the attacker is destroyed. I'll also tell you what each fused glyph does later. This can prove to be a powerful skill, as you can even fuse things together to end up with a Defense +5, healer, wound, summoning, pitfall trap glyph, all only taking up one space on the holder's army card. Glyphs can alos be repaired here. Remember how I said certain glyphs like range +4 can only be used three times? Rather than having to constantly repurchase these, you can simply repair it for a low price (of which you can decide, but I suggest it'd cost more to repair fused glyphs).
Lastly, the shop: Here you can buy glyphs. Glyph prices vary, but tend to be 1 or 2 coins more than what you'd sell 'em for. Disarmed trap glyphs can also be purchased here. I suggest you set aside a few glyphs for here. Changing the stores wares as you proceed further toward the game's end is also a good idea.

Old January 25th, 2010, 02:30 PM

How to get to the shop: Place some sort of marker next to where your party of heroes will be starting. Place another marker inside the shop. A hero that moves onto theis space warps to the shop and vice versa. No entering the shop if there are enemy forces anywhere within 8 spaces of the marker. If you are going by the whole "room" thing as far as your stage goes, you might want to move the marker with you as you continue on your way, to avoid complications.

Old January 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM

I should probably put down stuff about glyphs now. Here's the list, their effect, how long they last, how much they sell for, and how much you can sell them for. I'll also put down fusion details.
Good glyphs:
Attack +1: Attack dice plus one for 3 attacks only for the hero carrying the glyph. Sells for 3 coins. Buyback for 5 coins. General price from shop: 4 coins. Fuse with disarmed traps or other attack +1 type glyphs. Fusion effect works only when user inflicts at least 1 wound.
Unique attack +1: All unique heroes in your army get +1 attack to all their attacks that turn for 3 turns after activation. Sells for 4-5 coins. Buyback for 8-9 coins. Purchase for 5-7 coins. Fuse with disarmed traps or other attack +1 type glyphs. Fusion effect works only when user inflicts at least 1 wound.
Defense +1: One with glyph gets plus 1 defense roll. Destroyed after used 3 times.Sells: 3 coins. Buyback: 5 coins. Purchase for 4 coins. Fuse with disarmed traps or other defesnse type glyphs. Fusion effect works only after succesful block.
Defense +2: One with glyph gets plus 2 defense dice. Destroyed after used 3 times. Sells: 5 coins. Buyback: 7-9 coins. Purchase for 6-7 coins. Fuse with disarmed traps or other defense type glyphs. Fusion effect works only after succesful block.
Move +2: One with glyph gets +2 move. Sells: 3-4 coins. Buyback: 5-7 coins. Purchase: 4 coins. Cannot be fused... yet
Range +4: One with glyph gets +4 range if their range is 4 or more. Destroyed after 3 ranged attacks. Sells: 3 coins. Buyback: 5 coins. Purchase: 4 coins. So far can't be fused, but, if you get any ideas, then...
Healer: Instead of attacking, you may destroy this glyph and heal either the user or an adjacent friendly figure. Sells: 4-5 coins. Buyback: 7-8 coins. Purchase for: 5 coins. Fuse with Attack or defense type glyphs as if it were a disarmed trap. Effect: after succesful attack/block, roll 20d. If 15 or higher is rolled, user heals 1 wound.
Revive: instead of attacking, destroy revive to ... well... revive a friendly destroyed figure (destroyed heroes you control are laid on their side when they die rather than being moved to their army card, for this purpose) back to full life. Activates on user automatically if user is destroyed while in possession of this glyph. Sells: 5-6 coins. Buyback: 10 coins. Purchase: 6 coins.
Intercept order (non trap version): Activates when stepped on. All face-down glyphs within 10 spaces are turned face up. Sells: 2 coins. Buyback: 4 coins. Purchase: 2-3 coins.
Summoning (non-trap version): Activates when stepped on. Summons friendly squad to assist you. Functions just like the squad for hire in the shop, only you can't buy them back...
Thorian: Grants one with glyph thorian speed. Sells: 10-12 coins. Buyback: 20-24 coins (ouch). Purchase for: 12 coins. Cannot be fused.
Lucky-twenty-sider: Affects everyone. When rolling 20d, user may up the outcome by 1. Sells: 4 coins. Buyback: 6-7 coins. Purchase: 5-6 coins. Fuse with other fused glyphs to roll again after rolling for special effect.
...I can't think of any more right now. I'll talk about traps next.

Old January 25th, 2010, 06:18 PM

*yawn*. So, anyway. Trap glyphs. When a player steps upon one of these, he rolls the 20d. If he rolls a 18-20, the trap fails and becomes disarmed, thus now ready for fusing/selling. Certain disarmed traps can also be purchased at the shop. Lastly, upon stepping on a face down glyph, rather than picking it up, the player may try to disarm it. When the player announces that he is disarming the glyph, it is flipped face-up. If it is a trap glyph, it is disarmed automatically. If it is a treasure glyph, it is destroyed. Here's the list of trap Glyphs:
Wind: Affects your whole team. No flying for rest of game. Sells: 1 coin. Buyback: 2 coins. Purchase: 1-2 coins. Fusion: When successful block/attack is made, if the target can fly, the power is negated.
Summoning: Summons a nearby enemy squad. Squad varies by scenario. Sells: 1. Buyback: 2 coins. Purchase: 2 coins. Fusion: Successful attack/block results in 20d roll. If a 20 is rolled, summons a nearby squad to assist you.
Intercept Order: Ends your turn upon being activated. Sells: 1 Buyback: 2 Purchase: 2 coins. Fusion: Successful block/attack results in 20d roll. If a 3 or higher is rolled, any glyphs on or adjactent to the enemy space are flipped face-up.
Massive curse: All of your figures roll 20d. Any figure rolling a 1 is destroyed. Die roll cannot be affected in any way. Sells: 1 Buyback: 2 Price: 2. Fusion: (these are all upon successful block/attack, just so you know...) roll 20d. 20 = enemy figure is destroyed.
Negation: Whoever steps on this glyph has his powers negated. For certain synarios, glyph of kelda can heal this rather than wounds. Sells: 2 Buyback: 3-4. Purchase: 3-4 coins. Fusion: Roll 20d, if a 16 or higher is rolled, negates enemy powers.
Wound: Whoever activates this takes 2 wounds. S:2. B:3-4. P: 3-4 coins. Fusion: Roll 20d, if a 16 or higher is rolled, inflicts wound to enemy.
Initiative +8: Whoever steps on this becomes unable to move or attack for 2 turns. S:1 B:2 P: 1-2. Fusion: Roll 20d. 16 or higher causes enemy to be unable to move or attack for 1 turn.
Common attack+1: Causes all enemy common squads to gain +1 attack for the next 3 turns. S:1 B:1 P:1. Fusion: Roll 20d. Rolling a 12 or higher results in all friendly common squads going after you to get +1 attack, until the end of the turn.
you, know. feel free to comment, 'cause I feel like I'm talking to nothing here (I probably am...)

Old January 26th, 2010, 02:24 PM

Lastly, the pitfall trap. It does the exact same thing as in the regular game. S:1. B:2. P:1 coin. Fusion: Roll 20d. If 12 or higher is rolled, enemy becomes trapped as if they activated the trap themselves. Only works for adjacent enemies.
Note: if this seems super overly complex, remember that until recently for my D&D scenarios, there wasn't a shop of any sort, and that you can still play the game without one.
If that covers everything, we'll get to the fun part now. Your party can consist only of unique heroes (non-Utgar, if you wish). Point values typically range from 600-1000 points of guys. Enemy army should consist mostly of common squads, but several strong enemy heroes should also be included. Enemy army should be AT LEAST 1,400 points (trust me, the DM needs that many to stand a chance). Highly suggest Sonlen or Kelda for the player's party of heroes, as the only other way to heal is by Healer glyphs or other stuff you might put in to help. The party of adventurers (now called the PoA) goes first, and get to take three turns, followed by any assissting squads summoned or hired. Then, the enemy takes three turns. Enemy figures shouldn't press forward into a different room, but the DM may pull some of his army further back into another room to salvage them. Once a room is cleared, the PoA may enter the next room whenever they so please (allowing for all their figures to heal their wounds if Kelda or Sonlen is present). Entering the next room may be restricted to specific rules, such as finding certain "switches" in a room or defeating all the enemies. I wouldn't put any specific scenarios in here, because I've done this about 6 times now, each one being a completely different scenario. So far, the PoA has only lost once (to "Gold Braxas", a painted Braxas custom: Life, 9. Move, 5. Range, 1. Attack, 8. Defense, 9. Flying and range 9 poisonous acid breath before attacking. 1,210 points. Almost lost to Kelda and Major Q9 with height advantage. -.-)

Old January 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM

So, please enjoy and modify these rules how you see fit and have fun (it certainly beats having to come up with new rules every game, like Calvinball.) If you want, you can post any scenarios you've come up with from this so I can try 'em out for myself. Thanks for reading this far and have fun! (I know I am!)

Old January 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM

The End.

Old February 4th, 2010, 06:21 PM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

Wow. That must have taken a while to come up with. I might modify it a tiny bit but that looks awesome! Great idea coming up with this, I don't have Master Set 3 either but I've been dying to try out a scenario like this for a while!
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM

Thank you. Yes, this scenario took... let's see... hm... well, I believe seven playthroughs (each with a completely different scenario and armies). The whole "shop" idea became introduced by game 4, however. I hop you have as much fun as I have playing this . Feel free to edit the rules in any way you like, I mean it's meant for that sort of thing.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Dungeons and Dragons Scenarios