Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Rhode Island Rampage - Army Thread

So last night while hanging out with TomCollins2000 at the local watering hole, I thought about these armies...and we came to some decisions about it...

1) Playing Braxis would be suicide. First, she falls easily and is mainly good to take out units. You should be playing mostly heroes in a tournament such as this, and if someone runs an Iron Golem she will fall very quickly.

2) Those expensive units no one really plays (Quasquatch anyone?) might actually be worth it given the point/army size limitations.

3) Nilfheim will be the dragon to beat, and is definitely worth it for a tournament such as this.

4) Protectors of Ullar anyone?

5) In the same vein as Braxis, Ornak isn't worth it either. If he falls, your army is done and forces you to have too complex order marker management.

6) New Raelin might be more worth it than old Raelin.

7) There is no good reason to NOT play an Iron Golem (well...except not having one...)

So, here are some armies for consideration...

Nilfheim (185 points)
2x Greenscales (120 points)
Sgt. Drake (170 points)
Raelin (80 points)
555 points, 10 spaces

2x Ogre Warhulk (300 points)
2x Iron Golem (200 points)
Marro Warriors (50 points)
550 points, 12 spaces

Charros (210 points)
Nilfheim (185 points)
2x Greenscales (120 points)
Air Elemental (30 points)
Isamu (10 points)
555 points, 12 spaces

Q10 (180 points)
Q9 (140 points)
3x Phantom Knights (210 points)
Isamu (10 points)
Otonashi (10 points)
550 points, 14 spaces

And this might end up being the army I play, if I end up showing up for the last hour or two...

4x Warforged Soldiers (320 points)
1x Iron Golem (100 points)
New Raelin (120 points)
540 points, 15 spaces

And this one was TomCollins2000's armies...

5x Iron Golem (500 points)
Marro Warriors (50 points)
550 points, 14 spaces

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Braxas may fall somewhat quickly, but if she's backed by Raelin, or is in an army with a bunch of stingers, she can do her part. Send the Singers out first then the big beastie is there for mop-up.

An expensive squad like the Quasatch or the EI is a really good reason to bring her since points need to be eaten up with the figure limitation..

-insert signature here-
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:02 PM

Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby!

The kind of tourny ya'll are running are the kinds I get excited about because they change (at least a little) who the best figures are, and some less playable units become much more playable, while other elite units (like 4th Mass for example) become much harder to field.

I hope ya'll have fun!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:10 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

200 2x Deathstalkers
220 2x Protectors
120 Torin
010 Isamu
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:12 PM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Yeah, just coming up with armies for this one is really getting the juices flowing. Funny how such a 'small' change to the standard changes everything.

Lots of figures will be good no matter the limitations, but others become much more useful when things change a bit.

-insert signature here-
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:12 PM

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Braxas may fall somewhat quickly, but if she's backed by Raelin, or is in an army with a bunch of stingers, she can do her part. Send the Singers out first then the big beastie is there for mop-up.

An expensive squad like the Quasatch or the EI is a really good reason to bring her since points need to be eaten up with the figure limitation..
But in a format such as this, I really don't think something like that will be viable. Stingers are good, yes. Braxis is equally, if not better. BUT, there will be mostly heroes being played at this tournament. I just don't see the point in playing Braxis to counter the 2-3 units that might see play in an army. It just doesn't justify the points. If the point in having her is to take care of those few units, I would much rather play Nilfheim and utilize his cheaper point cost, and much stronger staying power.

The cake is a lie.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:16 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon Awasome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex worker View Post
Hmm... I would play-

210 Axegrinders x3
110 Migol
210 Braxas
20 Marcu
550 Points, 16 spaces, 15 figures.

Or, if you want, you can swap out Marcu for a Dumeteff or a Sahuagin or a Chainfighter.
I took third last year at NHSD in Little Rock with this exact army, except with the two little ninjas instead of Marcu (in hindsight I would actually have preferred Marcu, but I wanted Isamu to try and assassinate Raelin's). And large/huge characters weren't even required!
So did I in the Ohio NHSD, but I dropped Marcu. It was my first tournament though, and I didn't do very well.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombo101 View Post
Quote:

But in a format such as this, I really don't think something like that will be viable. Stingers are good, yes. Braxis is equally, if not better. BUT, there will be mostly heroes being played at this tournament. I just don't see the point in playing Braxis to counter the 2-3 units that might see play in an army. It just doesn't justify the points. If the point in having her is to take care of those few units, I would much rather play Nilfheim and utilize his cheaper point cost, and much stronger staying power.

I'm not convinced it's going to be mostly heroes (for everyone). 15 hexes, though limiting, still allows for some decent squad based armies. (as enticing as all the treasure glyphs will be).

There definitely will be some (maybe mostly) hero based armies, but I think a decent amount of folks will use this opportunity to play some expensive squads like you mentioned before (IE, Protectors, Quasatch, ect...).

Nilfheim will definitely be a good pick for this format, I agree, probably a better pick that big blackie, but I think she (Braxas) still works in this format.

-insert signature here-
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not convinced it's going to be mostly heroes (for everyone). 15 hexes, though limiting, still allows for some decent squad based armies. (as enticing as all the treasure glyphs will be).

There definitely will be some (maybe mostly) hero based armies, but I think a decent amount of folks will use this opportunity to play some expensive squads like you mentioned before (IE, Protectors, Quasatch, ect...).

Nilfheim will definitely be a good pick for this format, I agree, probably a better pick that big blackie, but I think she (Braxas) still works in this format.
I wonder if Frank (Kato Katsura) will be viable in this tournament if he's paired with a bunch of samurai, Kaeman Awa and a Iron Golem?

The cake is a lie.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I wonder if Frank (Kato Katsura) will be viable in this tournament if he's paired with a bunch of samurai, Kaeman Awa and a Iron Golem?
I actually played a Kato/Ashigaru army last night at Pilgrim's. Played on Swamp Thing, but it was jungle-ized like crazy, I actually had to use 4 OMs to move Kato so I could see all my figures hidden in the jungle canopy. It was awesome.

-insert signature here-
Old July 4th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Will Never Legitimately Beat Bistro At Anything

TehFattestNinja knows what's in an order marker TehFattestNinja knows what's in an order marker

Fen Hydra
360+-
3 × 120
Kelda the Kyrie Warrior
80+-
Raelin the Kyrie Warrior
80+-
Sahuagin Raider
Old July 4th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Here's what I've churned out into my now-customary army file that I keep on the go in the background while I'm at my computer:

Code:
Blade Gruts x2: 80
Marcu: 20
Ornak: 100
Tornak: 100
Kee-Mo-Shi: 130
Torin: 120
Total: 550pts, 13 figs, 15 hexes.
Score: 7

Ulginesh: 150
Chardris: 100
Jorhdawn: 90
Emirroon: 80
Arkmer: 50
Raelin (RotV): 80
Total: 550pts, 6 figs, 7 hexes.
Score: 5

Greenscales x2: 120
Nilfheim: 185
Kumiko: 80
Brandis: 90
Total: 555pts, 10 figs, 11 hexes.
Score: 4

Major Q10: 150
Laglor: 110
Agent Skahen: 120
Nakita Agents: 120
Sahuagin Raider x2: 50
Total: 550pts, 8 figs, 9 hexes.
Score: 3

Spiders x3: 120
Sujoah: 185
Wyvern x2: 200
Marro Warriors: 50
Total: 555pts, 16 figs, 20 hexes (drop a spider).

Atlaga: 90
Protectors x3: 330
Greater Ice Elemental: 130
Total: 550pts, 11 figs, 12 hexes.

Tor-Kul-Na: 220
Nagrubs x2: 60
Sudema: 140
Marro Warriors: 50
Total: 550pts, 13 figs, 14 hexes.

Zelrig: 185
Sonlen: 160
Shiori: 60
Deadeye Dan: 60
Total: 555pts, 5 figs, 6 hexes.
Score: 5

Gurei-Oni: 100
Kozuke Samurai: 100
Kumiko: 80
Krav Maga Agents: 100
Total: 550pts, 10 figs, 11 hexes.
Score: 4

Jotun: 225
Sonlen: 160
Rats x2: 80
Total: 555pts, 11 figs, 12 hexes.

MacDirks x3: 240
Alastair: 110
Sir Hawthorne: 90
Brunak: 110
Total: 550pts, 15 figs, 16 hexes.

Shades x2: 200
Total: 555pts, 9 figs, 10 hexes.
Score: 2

Isamu: 10
Otonashi:10
Marcu: 20
Guilty McCreech: 30
Theracus: 40
Me-Burq-Sa: 50
Feral Troll: 90
Erevan: 80
Iskra + Rechets: 100
Total: 550pts, 14 figs, 17 hexes.
Score: 7

Theracus: 40
Iskra and Rechets: 100
Feral Troll: 90
Moriko: 110
Total: 550pts, 10 figs, 12 hexes.
Score: 8

Omnicron Snipers x2: 200
Omnicron Repulsors x2: 80
Zetacron: 60
Eldgrim: 30
Total: 555pts, 15 figs, 17 hexes.
There are quite a few there that I'm keen to play. I need to start work on whittling it down rather than adding more to it, I think.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion