Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 18th, 2008, 09:45 PM

kookoobah Woo who?
Balanced Asymmetric Maps

Somehow, I feel that this is more suited to be posted here rather than in the Maps and Scenarios section of the forum, seeing as how all of the threads there have maps on them.

I'm not particularly keen on symmetric maps, I feel that they take away the personality and the uniqueness of the battle, for the sake of playability. Are there any balanced asymmetric maps out there? If anybody knows of any, I would greatly appreciate it, since I don't have the time to play out all the battlefields. In the BoV thread, I saw Turret Rocks as almost fitting my needs, but otherwise, nada.
Old October 18th, 2008, 10:21 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Balanced Asymmetric Maps

Due to the chiral nature of the large 21 hex tiles it can be very hard to make a truly symmetric map. Add the "offsetting" hex structure of the castle door and it gets even harder. Every time I try to bend my brain around symmetry problems I get frustrated.

I think the best function for asymmetric maps is with scenarios. It's hard to have a balanced even match on an unbalanced map. Even though it's no good for tournaments and requires more playtesting, I think objective-based games are the best use for Heroscape terrain. I think they look better, too!

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:13 PM

Kobu knows what's in an order marker Kobu knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie View Post
Due to the chiral nature of the large 21 hex tiles it can be very hard to make a truly symmetric map. Add the "offsetting" hex structure of the castle door and it gets even harder. Every time I try to bend my brain around symmetry problems I get frustrated.

I know what you are trying to convey, but it's simplicity itself to make rotationally symmetrical maps. I believe you are thinking only in terms of reflective symmetry, which is very limiting.

Asymmetrical yet balanced maps are far harder to produce.

BTW, the large pieces have 24 hexes.
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I think Myrkr Spring by Kahrma is a great map like that.
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobu View Post
Quote:

I know what you are trying to convey, but it's simplicity itself to make rotationally symmetrical maps. I believe you are thinking only in terms of reflective symmetry, which is very limiting.

You think its mindless drivel now? You should have seen it five minutes ago.
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Take a look at my "Valley Of Death" and check it out. ALMOST symmetrical, yet very entertaining.

See the link to my maps in my sig line below.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:33 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I don't have build instructions for this one but it is a very fun map to play on and you can actually play with the start zones on either side of the map.

and its playable during the winter too

Old October 19th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Dualahorn knows what's in an order marker Dualahorn knows what's in an order marker

What about during the summer?
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualahorn View Post
What about during the summer?
Um...that would be the version of the map NOT covered in snow.

(What is this world coming to?)
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:20 PM

greenless is surprisingly tart

i have yet to build a map by anyone elses guidelines(pc with the net is in the dining room and we play in the attic). i just build what comes to me. they are never symetrical but generally close to fair. we typically play multiple games from each map so we all get the ups and downs.

I totally agree with you symetrical is boring and takes away one of the best parts of a great game. just build a map who cares if its playtested or 100% fair.

if you build it they will play
Old October 19th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Kobu knows what's in an order marker Kobu knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenless View Post
i have yet to build a map by anyone elses guidelines(pc with the net is in the dining room and we play in the attic). i just build what comes to me. they are never symetrical but generally close to fair. we typically play multiple games from each map so we all get the ups and downs.

I totally agree with you symetrical is boring and takes away one of the best parts of a great game. just build a map who cares if its playtested or 100% fair.

if you build it they will play
It can matter quite a lot in tournament play. Your first roll for position can be the most important in the game and a lot of people don't think that it's right for a roll outside the actual game to have that kind of bearing.
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOMINATION View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobu View Post
Quote:

You think its mindless drivel now? You should have seen it five minutes ago.
Touche FWIW, I was tired and only partially coherent.

I think my biggest obstacle is having a small space to work with and a small number of tiles. Making a symmetric map with only 1 RTTFF set is problematic, to say the least. With only a couple Master Sets to work with I'm always wishing there was a "right-handed" 24 hex tile.

As for the Castle door, I'm always wishing there was a way to have it in a flat section of wall instead of always on a corner.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion