Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old March 4th, 2008, 10:34 PM

massivenewbage has disabled reputation
The world lost its Dungeon Master today. I wish I could have met him. His creation, and its children, has kept my imagination churning for nearly 2 decades now. The world needs men like Gary to remind us that we can all be hero's, not just in a game but in real life as well. RIP.

mmmmm victory burrito.... know why its good phil? cause your dead!
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Truly a sad day. Man, to think I went years without appreciating DD. What a great legacy. We should all game on in his memory.

I do wonder which plane he's gone to?

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:10 AM

jaques has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by naps420
Does this mean he missed his Fortitude save? Just kidding. He will be missed. If it wasn't for him, I would have spent my weekends drinking instead of playing D&D with all my friends back in High School.
No, it means he was a purist who stuck to the old AD&D 1st edition aging tables and refused to fudge his rolls.

For all that D&D has advanced since Gygax, and despite the fact that I'll never play 1E again, I still keep those books for their wonderful writing style and genuine spirit of adventure. The new editions are beautiful and artfully designed from a rules perspective, but they'll never match Gygax's work in terms of being truly compelling and groundbreaking.

In some ways, navigating through the arcane organizational structure of the 1E books was like being in a dungeon yourself. There were all kinds of hidden corners where you could find unexpected treasures of rules, but you really had to explore to get to them all.

RIP, Gary.

Also, lol to everthing Fezzik said.
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:33 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara
I am truly saddened by this news....I was hoping to meet him at GenCon...just to actually shake his hand and thank him for many great childhood memories.
I did exactly this at Gencon last year, it makes me kind of happy that I could say thank you to him before he passed.

Old March 5th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
We'll miss him, that is for sure.

requiescat in pace
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Ted has disabled reputation
Tis a sad day indeed, He will be missed.

Where would many of us have been without this legend.
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun
To honor him, I will post the fruits of his creation...graphically

I recall many nights (and subsequent days) getting lost in his world

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby!
wow he didnt live far from me and i never knew it. Rest in peace Gary.

Old March 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Re: TSR/Wizards link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharles
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome&dcmp=ILC-TSRURL
Thanks for posting this--having left the DnD world over a decade ago, I would have missed this. A touching gesture. And while my gaming there ended with the first edition, I will never forget those memories. My name here is in tribute to the imaginative world of DnD. My gaming may have changed, but the fact that I game is b/c of GG. RIP.
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara
I am truly saddened by this news....I was hoping to meet him at GenCon...just to actually shake his hand and thank him for many great childhood memories.
I did exactly this at Gencon last year, it makes me kind of happy that I could say thank you to him before he passed.

Never knew he had such great taste in shirts too.
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:04 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAROCEAN980
I never heard of him but I'll say a prayer.

How can someone who plays Heroscape not hear about Gary Gygax!
That's like saying I've never heard of George Washington and live in the US.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAROCEAN980
I never heard of him but I'll say a prayer.

How can someone who plays Heroscape not hear about Gary Gygax!
That's like saying I've never heard of George Washington and live in the US.
Careful--I'll bet there are more of the latter than the former...

It is hard to believe that Gygax is not a legend in all gaming circles, but sadly we are (generally) a people with little respect or interest in our own history...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General