Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old December 19th, 2014, 09:39 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Top Ten most Efficient Common Squads

Since everyone seems to disagree (mostly) I'll add my honorable mentions.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:50 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
You mention the Ashigaru at number 7 and fault them for not living very long. Now if they had 3 defense they would be much better, totally worth a 10 points more.

Well then draft the 4th Mass! So efficient a flow chart can play them. Enemey not in range, don't have height, Special attacker, out ranged? Move. Anything else? WTF.
Again, the Ash do the EXACT same trick the 4th and 10th. do. For LESS.

If you're a fan of the 4th, cool, I'm just giving my opinion that the Ash are the best/most cost effective points wise.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Your opinion is interesting, and you're right in most of the things.

The thing is your anlysis doesn't take in account a tournament setup.

For example Ashigarus, yes they're cheaper, but you don't care about this because in a 4th Mass army, Ashigaru army, or 10th reg army, the limiting factor is not the price (all 3 are insane for their cost) but the 24 hexes startzone (now it's even more 16hexes or 20hexes).

You'll be able to take the same amount of 4th Mass or Ashigarus, so you take the +2 defense with a big smile.

Also it looks like you missread Kato's card, you can't play 8 Ashigarus in one turn, you can play 4 Yaris and 4 Harquebus. Therefore Kato is useless in a full-Harquebus army.

Now on the Shades, they're not good, because if you take only 3 of them, your opponent just have to kill one or two and they become irrevelant.
If you take more squads then your army is too bad against common squads.
I didn't forget about the 24 Hex rule. I personally never use the rule whenever I get a chance to play with my buddies or sister, because we're not into playing super uber-competitive, 24 hex type games.

We play to have fun, so who cares, right? Also, about Kato, that's partially incorrect. I can have as many squads as I want, but yes, I can only take a turn with up to 1 squad of Harq. and/or 1 squad of Yari.

Old December 19th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
I left out several squads that I felt were more expensive. The Ash. Harq. basically do what the 4th Mass. and 10th Reg. do, only for less points. Yes they have slightly less defense, but hey, in my play experience, a 2 defense rarely (if ever) helps.
You're certainly entitled to that point of view. It seems though, that your implication is that a 3 defense does help, something the 4th can achieve simply be being in an all Valiant army and that the 10th can achieve by being in melee and that either of them can achieve with height. My experience with the Harqs is that they're okay with Raelin and can be really good in a Harq/Yari/Kato army that can engage with the Yari making the Harqs difficult to target.

~Aldin, defensively

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 19th, 2014, 01:38 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Heh

Quote:
Quote:
You mention the Ashigaru at number 7 and fault them for not living very long. Now if they had 3 defense they would be much better, totally worth a 10 points more.

Well then draft the 4th Mass! So efficient a flow chart can play them. Enemey not in range, don't have height, Special attacker, out ranged? Move. Anything else? WTF.

If you're a fan of the 4th, cool, I'm just giving my opinion that the Ash are the best/most cost effective points wise.
I love the Ashgiaru Harqs probably more than most people on these boards. I still think 4th kick the ever loving crap out of them. Yes they are the cheapest 4 man ranged squad in the game but the jump from 1 to 3 defense is HUGE and well worth the jump. Just curious, how are you defining efficiency?

~Dysole, finding that definitions lead to clarity
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I didn't forget about the 24 Hex rule. I personally never use the rule whenever I get a chance to play with my buddies or sister, because we're not into playing super uber-competitive, 24 hex type games.

Rule? Where did you get the idea it's a rule? Yes, it's the most common start zone limit, but now start zone limits vary between hexes and figures, and can range from 16-24.
Old December 20th, 2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:

Rule? Where did you get the idea it's a rule? Yes, it's the most common start zone limit, but now start zone limits vary between hexes and figures, and can range from 16-24.
I haven't read up on the rules in a while.

A start zone severely limits play experience, IMO. Just Not a fan of it.

Old December 20th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Re: Heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I love the Ashgiaru Harqs probably more than most people on these boards. I still think 4th kick the ever loving crap out of them. Yes they are the cheapest 4 man ranged squad in the game but the jump from 1 to 3 defense is HUGE and well worth the jump. Just curious, how are you defining efficiency?

~Dysole, finding that definitions lead to clarity
I'm defining the Ash efficiency by their offensive ability for the points. We all know they suck in the defensive department. I didn't think I had to state the obvious, here...

~Owlman, wondering why people can't just let it go that the 4th didn't make my list.

Old December 20th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Most likely because the Mass are the most used and not fun squad to play against IMO, right after rats.
Zombies rule! Not really but they are my favorite, though they have been slaughtered every time I bring them to Gen Con.
They did do well in a local 'random, reverse the whip' event. They went undefeated, I lost to them twice.
That tournament featured maps with a lot of road and the the ones without, had the Move Glyph. High speed Zombies are brutal.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 20th, 2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Most likely because the Mass are the most used and not fun squad to play against IMO, right after rats.
Zombies rule! Not really but they are my favorite, though they have been slaughtered every time I bring them to Gen Con.
They did do well in a local 'random, reverse the whip' event. They went undefeated, I lost to them twice.
That tournament featured maps with a lot of road and the the ones without, had the Move Glyph. High speed Zombies are brutal.
Amen to the Zombies!

And I honestly never have had to go up against multiple squads of 4th Mass, but I still don't get why they're super un-fun. They have 2 defense, and I always draft Isuma, so...

Seriously, this one game, Isuma took down a full squad of Knights of Weston, put 4 wounds on Sir Denrick, took out a Minion of Utgar, and one Tarn Viking Warrior...!

Old December 20th, 2014, 02:00 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
~Owlman, wondering why people can't just let it go that the 4th didn't make my list.
It is because of the title of your list. You are inviting a high level of scrutiny based on that title. Those that know, know and to look at your list and see them not even on it, discounts the whole thing.

Deathreavers and 4th mass are two of the most effective, efficient common squads in the game. Years and years of competive tournament play has proven this over and over again. If your list was titled something like owlman's favorites or owlman's often overlooked or undervalued list or something like that, then maybe other posters wouldn't pick it apart.

Besides, what did you think was going to happen? Did you expect no replies at all? Or perhaps just a bunch of "cool" and "your list is awesome!" replies?

I appreciate your enthusiasm and passion for the game. But please understand, if you are going to post up top 10 lists with such absolute titles, the list will be highly scrutinized and picked apart.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by Rÿchean; February 1st, 2015 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Corrected security to scrutiny
Old December 20th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

pshht monks should be higher.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion