Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old January 1st, 2016, 01:34 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: X-Wing

Yes and no. With that ability you could be more aggressive about alternating between greens and reds every round, making more dramatic maneuvers to get away from your foe and end up in a better position next round.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 1st, 2016, 08:29 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

One of the best, if not the best, reason to use Corran's ability it to overwhelm an enemy's defensive tokens. Even a high agility opponent will likely have no more than one Focus or Evade, and if they spend it against the first attack they're ripe for damaging with a second. If you were to spread that second attack out to a second turn, like most ships have to, the enemy can grab another token.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 1st, 2016, 09:01 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
I decided to go with only two ships, because I had lost against this build several times during a recent six week league event at Nerdvana. They were:
Corran Horn in his E-Wing with R2D2, Push-The-Limits, Fire-Control-System, Proton Torpedoes and Auto-Thusters modification and Poe Dameron in his T-70 X-Wing with R5P9, Push The Limits, Engine Upgrade, Proton Torpedoes, and Weapons-Guidance. I won 2 out of the 3 games and came in 8th out of 18 participants. It was a very fun evening.
I see you did fairly well, but I'm curious - and I guess this question could be posed to anyone that flies Corran Horn - how often do you use his actual pilot ability? I profess not to flying him too much, but I'm not sure I even know how to truly utilize him to the best of his ability. Does the extra attack at the end of the attack phase (or where ever it actually occurs) truly mitigate losing your attack the next round? Logically, I'd say no, because I can't see giving up the attack, but maybe Corran's better than I realize?

I'm just really curious how you flew him, and how you knew when to activate his ability. Thanks.
I would use it in two scenarios (and their variants):
* when in a one-on-one dogfight where the enemy will be maneuvering out of reach in the next round and
* when in a one-on-one dogfight where Horn will be attempting to maneuver out of the enemy's firing arc the next round in such a way that he will also not have an angle on them, perhaps by boosting straight past them.
Ninja'd by Capsocrates (~~lol~~)

Even though I have been playing this game for several years and have amassed a sizeable collection (100+ ships) ... I'm don't consider myself very good and have pretty much stayed away from the local competitive scene of tournaments. Only recently when a new FLGS opened up 20 miles from my house did I start playing 3 -5 times a week in a league, instead of maybe 2 -3 times a month.

In fact during the recent league event I purposely went with all A-Wing builds for the first two weeks, all B-Wings for the next three weeks (because of the Thanksgiving interruption to our schedule), and then all E-Wings for the last two weeks before Christmas. It was my friend Christian who used the Poe & Corn combo very effectively for the entire seven weeks with only minor adjustment tweaks to the upgrades. It was fresh in my mind and easy to pull together, so last Monday was the first time I had ever flown it myself.

I have to admit that I used Corran Horn's "Double Shot" ability very sparingly - maybe twice in each of the three games, because the aspect of *NOT* having any shots during the next round is frightening when you can't anticipate where your opponent's Lower Pilot Skill ships are going to end up. But I found it very effective during crucial moments of the game, such as finally being in a perfect range 1 position with an extra attack die and Target Lock, only to whiff or have your shots evaded, or maybe he/she survived multiple damages with only one Hull remaining. THEN (especially if you're not going to have a more perfect shot at a better target next round) ... being able to shoot again is an ideal way to permanently eliminate that one enemy vessel.

What I failed to use - perhaps it was just a case of 'you-snooze-you-loose' forgetfulness - was the Auto Thrusters. The Aces here at Nerdvana swear by them, but they didn't do me any good. Another problem was utilizing Poe properly, since he died half way through all three games. I had to remember to not spend the Focus during combat in order to regenerate a Shield with R5P9. What really seems to be "broken" is the R2D2 instant Shield regen on a green maneuver. It was probably intended to thematically give Luke a better chance against the two Ties in the orig Starter Set. But what the heck, I'll keep using it until it's errata's by FFG.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old January 1st, 2016, 09:48 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
Quote:
My cousin was working on a collection but most of his ships were broken and subsequently trashed. He has offered to give me his box of upgrade cards, tokens, dials, etc. I think it will also include the Millennium Falcon, an X-Wing, and a B-Wing.
<~snip/snip~>
As I mentioned previously I already have the Force Awakens core set.
Down the road I plan to pick up a couple of Z-95s and maybe another Y-Wing. Even if I don't, this should get me a nice variety of ships for Rebel v. Imperial matches and set me up to have decent Scum squadrons when I lay my hands on Most Wanted.
That sounds like a great start and should give you plenty of options to try out as you discover what kinds of ships and tactics you prefer and enjoy. I find it similar to Heroscape in that when I find a ship I enjoy flying, I want to pick up a second or third and try flying a full build with mulitiples, just like I prefer themed, multiple squad with complementary unit(s) builds in scape. But just like scape, a build with single, complementary ships can be effective too, and at this point in the game there is a lot to experiment with.

I just found a Most Wanted set at Barnes & Noble last night. It was $40 but with my wife's educator discount it came in at $32, and since we don't know when it will restock and it was the last one on the shelf, I snagged it.
@Caps - that's an awesome way to get starter. It's a shame that your cousin's ships got 'trashed.' Maybe he shouldn't "Run With Scissors" or "Play So Rough" in the sandbox [with them] ... hehehe ; - ) Honestly, if you have the storage space for them, I'd say take the whole box, everything! I know a couple of guys here in NJ that are already custom painting and custom 'kit-bashing' their ships, so you might unload some spare parts on ebay or eventually use them yourself. No one but The Shadow knows where this game is headed in the next year or three with additional movies being anticipated and an evolving 'Meta' taking shape.

And regarding what to buy to accumulate "a nice variety" - consider whom you are primarily going to be playing this game with. If your buddy, brother, or cousin loves playing Imperials, THEN concentrate on only getting a bunch of the Rebel ships; and vice versa. If you want to dominate the regional tournaments to hopefully make it to nationals, then follow the on-line meta discussions and chase those certain Upgrade and Modification cards to enhance certain specific pilots. The big joke is that FFG will give you a FREE spaceship model (that you may never use) for spending $15 - $30 to get a certain 41 x 61 mm piece of paper... ha ha : - ( I gave my grandsons a Starter Set 2 years ago and knew that they couldn't afford any more ships, and since 'Scaping opportunities have been fading, I let my OCD collecting gene take control and I got carried away.

@ Rudy - Regarding: "I find it similar to Heroscape in that when I find a ship I enjoy flying, I want to pick up a second or third and try flying a full build with mulitiples, just like I prefer themed, multiple squad with complementary unit(s) builds in scape" ... WOW! I totally agree. Great minds like ours do think alike ; - ) I am looking forward to planning and running some multi-player ( 6 - 8 ) Epic Events for X-Wings this new year, now that I've established myself within the local community as a "good guy" and worthy opponent. I'm also considering demo's for other (non-mini's) gaming groups to generate interest in the hobby. I painted a 4'x8' piece of paneling black and splashed some white dots on it for stars just for such occasions.

P.S. That was a very lucky to find a Scum & Villainy at a B&N. I know a lot of people (including myself) who are looking for one. @ Caps - don't hold your breath for this one. We're hoping that its popularity will get it re-published sooner than later.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old January 1st, 2016, 11:14 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Got 3rd in a 12 man tourney today with:

Red squad vet, stress droid, wired, integrated astormech
Miranda, tlt, tact
Eaden Vrill, Jan ors

Played against 3 poes...
Found that red ace with comm relay and r2d2 just makes me cry... Pretty sure between him and Poe there's gonna be t70s everywhere.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old January 1st, 2016, 11:35 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post

Miranda, tlt, tact
Eaden Vrill, Jan ors

Played against 3 poes...
Found that red ace with comm relay and r2d2 just makes me cry... Pretty sure between him and Poe there's gonna be t70s everywhere.
Omega Leader with Juke and Comm Relay is just as evil.
Old January 1st, 2016, 11:54 PM

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:

Miranda, tlt, tact
Eaden Vrill, Jan ors

Played against 3 poes...
Omega Leader with Juke and Comm Relay is just as evil.
Tycho with juke and ptl and Vader with juke is dirty as well.

Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:31 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the advice johngee. I'm mostly in it for the theme and fun. I am a competitive guy so I will probably play some tourneys, but I'll probably try to ignore the meta and just do what looks fun.

Unfortunately, for the foreseeable future, my brother is not in a position to collect and so I will be collecting ships for both of us--thus my desire to go well-rounded, and also to have Scum & Villainy ships. My brother is not particularly a fan of the Empire, and neither am I, so I want us both to have an alternative option. He does love that imperial shuttle though...

Are you saying most places won't have Most Wanted in stock for the foreseeable future, and if I see it available somewhere I should just buy it, even at MSRP? My FLGS should have it in stock right now, but it's *so* much cheaper at coolstuff, and I'm on a budget.

--
--
--

--
Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:33 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Are you saying most places won't have Most Wanted in stock for the foreseeable future, and if I see it available somewhere I should just buy it, even at MSRP? My FLGS should have it in stock right now, but it's *so* much cheaper at coolstuff, and I'm on a budget.
It's in the middle of the restock process, so yeah if you see it at a good price buy it.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 04:50 PM

If it's in the restock process won't it be in stock at affordable prices again soon?

--
--
--

--
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:02 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Youngster - PtL

I've seen a lot of people get this wrong, so you know this isn't a combo, right?
Ah, yes... Apparently nobody else I've played with has noticed either...
@NecroBlade thanks for the heads up. Gotta mini tourney Friday...
Question: why is this not viable?

Maybe I'm answering my own question, but is it because that particular upgrade doesn't have an "Action" header on it? The assumption being, the upgrade needs to have that header on it? For example, would Youngster's ability work with Marksmanship?

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Youngster - PtL

I've seen a lot of people get this wrong, so you know this isn't a combo, right?
Ah, yes... Apparently nobody else I've played with has noticed either...
@NecroBlade thanks for the heads up. Gotta mini tourney Friday...
Question: why is this not viable?

Maybe I'm answering my own question, but is it because that particular upgrade doesn't have an "Action" header on it? The assumption being, the upgrade needs to have that header on it? For example, would Youngster's ability work with Marksmanship?
Yes. It's not near as good as it looks upon first inspection.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures