Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Zogross Hardscale

Being someone who favors melee armies, I love a big ole brawl with Zogross in the middle stabbing the enemy in the back while his minions do the work.

-insert signature here-
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I *think* dok and Xotli both answered all the specific questions this formulation caused, but if there are more, please keep them coming (or repeat them, if one was missed).
One more word on the subject: I received a PM asking about TW's answers and perceived differences with what Xotli and dok wrote.

I shouldn't have left out TW's name in this post; what he said is the *same* as what dok and Xotli wrote. No targeting of Zogross means no triggering of Tribal Protection.

Keep the questions coming, this is the place for 'em.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:57 AM

The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
Also, Atlaga the Kyrie Warrior is a Warrior and should be listed under Tribal Protection.
Ace of Spades mentioned this back in the second reply to this thread. Someone should add Atlaga to the OP.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CEE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
Also, Atlaga the Kyrie Warrior is a Warrior and should be listed under Tribal Protection.
Ace of Spades mentioned this back in the second reply to this thread. Someone should add Atlaga to the OP.
Fixed.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:49 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Quote:
I always understood "target" to mean that you check for clear sight on the hitzone of a figure you're attacking from the target point of your attacking figure ... in which case it's only something you do for ranged attacks. This has always been my understanding, at least.
Targeting also is performed when using melee based attacks/effects as well. Although you'd be right about the process to see if you can target, that is not targeting. Targeting just means choosing in Heroscape. Does that make sense?
Choosing is usually a specific term used in special powers (like Jotun's throw or Ne-Gok-Sa's Mind Shackle). I understand what you're saying Targeting is here, but it doesn't match my impression of how the term has always been used. Of course, the only time I can recall targeting being referenced on an official card is on the Nakita Agents, and they also specify non-adjacent. So, I really don't know. Is this something official folks have ruled on?
The word "target" definitely applies to melee attacks. Examples: Arkmer, Eltahale, Gurei-Oni, Moriko, Zombies, and even Nakitas (look at Engagement Strike, not Smoke Powder ). Also, the word "target" (and variations) is used on 16 official cards, not counting when it's only used in a power's name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Quote:
I always understood "target" to mean that you check for clear sight on the hitzone of a figure you're attacking from the target point of your attacking figure ... in which case it's only something you do for ranged attacks. This has always been my understanding, at least.
Targeting also is performed when using melee based attacks/effects as well. Although you'd be right about the process to see if you can target, that is not targeting. Targeting just means choosing in Heroscape. Does that make sense?
Choosing is usually a specific term used in special powers (like Jotun's throw or Ne-Gok-Sa's Mind Shackle). I understand what you're saying Targeting is here, but it doesn't match my impression of how the term has always been used. Of course, the only time I can recall targeting being referenced on an official card is on the Nakita Agents, and they also specify non-adjacent. So, I really don't know. Is this something official folks have ruled on?
The word "target" definitely applies to melee attacks. Examples: Arkmer, Eltahale, Gurei-Oni, Moriko, Zombies, and even Nakitas (look at Engagement Strike, not Smoke Powder ). Also, the word "target" (and variations) is used on 16 official cards, not counting when it's only used in a power's name.
Arkmer - special power that causes wounds, not an attack
Eltahale - good call, that's what I get for not being up on DnDscape
Gurei-Oni - another excellent call. Very strange to me that they didn't use "chosen" there
Moriko - excellent call, exactly the type of usage relevant to this discussion
Zombies - another one that seems almost interchangeable with "chosen" in the usage, but it definitely bolsters your point
Nakitas - see Arkmer

So, well played, sir. I learned something today.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 4th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
:
:
Zombies - another one that seems almost interchangeable with "chosen" in the usage, but it definitely bolsters your point
I don't think there's much difference between "choose" and "target," to be honest. If you look at the language in Gurei-Oni's Tetsubo, Moltenclaw's Burning Breath, Moriko's Saber Storm, Othkurik's Acid Spray, Zelrig's Majestic Fires, etc, they all have the "choose a figure" and then refer to that chosen figure as the "targeted figure." I've always thought of "targeting" as the process of choosing a figure to attack: literally, the part where you say "and now I'm going to attack this dude"--that's the targeting.

Quote:
So, well played, sir. I learned something today.
We exist to serve, sirrah.

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

We tried to avoid target because it is weakly supported in the rulebook. It is supported though, and we did use it.

Choose is different than target because it does not necessarily require the targeting procedure unless specified like when you choose a figure to be the target.. You could be told to choose anything no LOS required. Choose a figure you control. choose an opponent etc.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:51 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I guess what gets me is that once you have an adjacency requirement, choose would seem like the better word than target, because you don't really have a need to check LOS against adjacent figures.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 6th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
We tried to avoid target because it is weakly supported in the rulebook. It is supported though, and we did use it.

Choose is different than target because it does not necessarily require the targeting procedure unless specified like when you choose a figure to be the target.. You could be told to choose anything no LOS required. Choose a figure you control. choose an opponent etc.
Ah, okay, that makes sense.

Quote:
I guess what gets me is that once you have an adjacency requirement, choose would seem like the better word than target, because you don't really have a need to check LOS against adjacent figures.
Yes, but targeting doesn't have anything to do with LOS. It's just the act of picking who you're going to attack.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:15 AM

According to GBob's last post, though, targeting requires the "targeting procedure" aka determining LOS, whereas choosing is basically targeting without needing to worry about LOS ... so LOS seems to be the key difference between the two terms here. Unless I'm reading his post wrong?
Anyway, nothing to do with this card, which absolutely is 100% consistent with how terms are used on cards, but more my trying to understand what exactly the terms mean and finding the usage on some official cards a bit ... odd. Not incorrect, just odd.

Old September 6th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
According to GBob's last post, though, targeting requires the "targeting procedure" aka determining LOS, whereas choosing is basically targeting without needing to worry about LOS ... so LOS seems to be the key difference between the two terms here. Unless I'm reading his post wrong?
Well, I won't go so far as to say you're wrong, but you're reading of his post definitely doesn't accord with my reading of his post.

Gbob sayeth:

Quote:
Choose is different than target because it does not necessarily require the targeting procedure unless specified like when you choose a figure to be the target..
Nothing about LOS there. In fact, if targeting required LOS, it wouldn't make any sense for those cards that use the term on range 1 powers. Take zombies, for example. "All Zombies of Morindan in the attack must be engaged to the targeted figure." Engagement very specifically doesn't require LOS. And yet the figure being attacked is a "targeted figure."

Now, granted, Gbob does go on to say:

Quote:
You could be told to choose anything no LOS required.
But I don't read that as implying that targeting does require LOS.

I think the correlation in people's minds between "target" and "ranged" is basically just a red herring due to the terms "targeting icon" and "target point." But IMHO those things tell how to target a figure when making a ranged attack, which does not in any way mean that you don't also target a figure when making a melee attack. Figures with range 1 and no ranged SA's still have target points, right?

Note that the official FAQ also includes some uses of the term "target" to refer to adjacent attacks (or to refer to classes of attacks which include some adjacent attacks), such as: Destructible Objects, and Tandros.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs