Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old February 25th, 2010, 03:49 AM

Thorgrim has disabled reputation
What to teach?

I just got a whole bunch newbies interested in heroscape, and in the past i have seen newbies leave because they don't like losing all the time amount other things. Most of the time they lose because they don't understand the intricate parts of the game. So what I have decided to do is read articles off Heroscapers.com for 15 or so minutes before games so people learn more than just how to build armies. What would be the best pages on heroscapers.com to teach someone just starting out?
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:55 AM

hobosock is surprisingly tart
Re: What to teach?

I've found that most threads on this site are for tournament gamers (although you might try this one). For noobs I'd recommend just going over the basics and letting them choose the strong units. that way you're challenged and they aren't guaranteed to lose. Emphasize things like height advantage.

EDIT: For the person who docked my rep for posting my opion, most of the posts on this site ARE about tournament play, tournament armies, in-depth unit strategies, etc, which aren't very helpful to new players.

Last edited by hobosock; February 25th, 2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:48 AM

Thorgrim has disabled reputation

I have most of what has been released, so strong units is still kind of vague. None the less, I am looking for articles about order markers, counter drafting, stuff like that where i can quickly go over the basics of that. It's hard to just go off the top of my head.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:06 AM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

You could teach them some semi-advanced tactics, like engagement dance, using it, and avoiding it. Maybe try using some excerpts from the strategy articles. What I do is play the game with them, then explain what they did well, show how they could improve, and teach them a strategy to help them get better.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ooh, ooh, do I get to be Onacara?? Yes I do! Use the search feature, dude. There are a lot of threads out there on this. The basic advice seems to be avoid most of the complications at first, so:
1) Pre-selected armies
2) Small Armies
3) Limited bonding and other powers that newbies get wrong the first hundred times.

That way they get to have the fun without the difficulties. After they're hooked you can introduce complications like draft, etceteras. Most of my friends still want me to pre-select armies.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The most important thing that I would ingrain in their baby scaping minds is how movement works, and how different terrain will effect them. Throw scatterings of it about the map, so they don't feel so focused about the terrain, but make sure it is there so they can learn it. That will be the biggest strategy teacher to the noobs.
One more thing. Just let them play against equally matched players, not you. They will go into a match more confident, and you won't get in that sticky situation where you really have to flub up to keep them playing. That is not a fun position, I have been there. I still won. But the point is, if they go in confident, they will probaly play better in their game.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I wouldn't read to them for 15 minutes. If they are interested in playing the game, play the game. Teach the game by playing the game. Rather than read some article, print out some of the rules reference cards that other scapers have made.

You could have some simple preselected armies ready to go. Make them simple ones, maybe featuring a straight forward unique hero. Start with small point values and get them playing. If you are afraid of someone getting frustrated over losing, have them play each other. Everyone playing is new to the game that way.
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:11 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

What I do when teaching a new person how to play scape is I just let them win. That way, they seem to like the game better right away.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:14 AM

TnT2 knows what's in an order marker TnT2 knows what's in an order marker TnT2 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
I wouldn't read to them for 15 minutes. If they are interested in playing the game, play the game. Teach the game by playing the game...
Yup, that is the way to go.

Well, I've taught a number of newcomers. First I explain how movement works. Then I explain the card (and here is how attack works, and here is how defence works). But, the special part of the game is the special abilities. I let them read a few.

The hardest part is usually the order markers.

But, make sure you have pre-set armies with some nice synergies - that really helps reinforce the OMs

2x Knights of Weston + Viking Champion(s)

3 x Arrow Gruts + beasts

This makes OM placement easy, and helps reinforce the synergies aspect.

Don't spend a lot of time teaching. Get into the game, it explains itself. Strategies/etc will come later

Good luck recruiting.
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
Ooh, ooh, do I get to be Onacara?? Yes I do! Use the search feature, dude. There are a lot of threads out there on this. The basic advice seems to be avoid most of the complications at first, so:
1) Pre-selected armies
2) Small Armies
3) Limited bonding and other powers that newbies get wrong the first hundred times.

That way they get to have the fun without the difficulties. After they're hooked you can introduce complications like draft, etceteras. Most of my friends still want me to pre-select armies.
My dad still asks me to make his armies. lol. And we've been playing for 6 years now.

,and I have actually done this and it works well.

Heroscape is back! WOOOOO!
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Ignore this post I thought I had pressed edit when I had pressed quote.

Heroscape is back! WOOOOO!
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:00 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Thorgrim: Kudos for teaching newbies. Give them a hero and a squad, but no common/uncommon heroes. Keep the terrain simple. No glyphs. Give them Q9, Krav Maga, Kaemon Awa, Sgt, Drake, Agent Carr and other strong but simple units.

Kroc: If you really want to be Onacara, you should seek professional help...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion