Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old March 25th, 2009, 08:47 AM

demon_llama has disabled reputation
RPG-Suggestions/Recommendations

Hay

In my quest to step into the 21st Century in gaming, I知 looking to get into a new RPG or two. I already do the D&D thing (been DM段ng for 25 odd years) and the occasional SW Saga, so I知 not looking for WOTC. I知 really not looking for anything fantasy, and I知 not much of a Zombie/Vampire/Werewolf guy. Just not my gig. I知 looking for some games that are current, available (and likely to be available for a while) and well written.

If you could please give me your suggestions (and review/opinions-pro痴 & con痴) I would be grateful.

Thanks and have a funny day...

...the rich
(My HEX Game Files @ http://www.scribd.com/_the_rich)
Lawton/Fort Sill Heroscape (monthly?) Tournament:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...506#post951506
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:06 AM

Germund is surprisingly tart
Re: RPG-Suggestions/Recommendations

My gaming group is just getting into Savage Worlds It is very versatile, and appears to be able to handle any kind of setting. There are numerous official settings, and many unofficial converted settings The slogan on the books is "Fast, Furious, Fun" and it lives up to it too! In many ways it is not as detailed as D&D, and it allows for faster, looser play - especially in combat.

The basic rule book (Explorer Edition) is only 10.00, however official settings are up there with other RPG books. From the number of conversions around, however it seems that coming up with your own stuff shouldn't be that hard.

It is definitley a change from some of the rules heavy games out there.

Here is a review from RPGnet

"We have arrived at an intellectual chaos."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Great trades with: Gypsy, Archiver, Just-A-Bill

Last edited by Germund; May 1st, 2009 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Added a link to a review of the game.
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM

demon_llama has disabled reputation

Germund
Thanks for the advice, I will check it out. I actually settled down on Hollow Earth Expeditionis by Exile. Downloaded their Fast Play game and was impressed, so I purchased the Core Book. Good Rules. Good Setting. I give it a B+ (high marks for someone who's been gaming as long as I have). Getting ready to start running a campaign at my local FLAGS next month. Players seem excited too.

Still, I will have to check out Savage Worlds (that's by Shane and the old Peg.Inc gang isn't it?). Thanks again...

...the rich
(My HEX Game Files @ http://www.scribd.com/_the_rich)
Lawton/Fort Sill Heroscape (monthly?) Tournament:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...506#post951506
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:56 AM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Though this isn't a DnD type style RP game, I've still gotta advertise here.

On this site, alot of us play a game called "Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa". We role play as a certain figure from Heroscape in an intriguing game of deception, mystery, and skill. Highly addicting, and it will most likely test your wit more than any board game RPG. Click here to learn how to get access to this part of the forums.

However, if you're looking for the "start a character from scratch, and build him up through killing monsters, going to pubs, and buying potions and weapons" kind of RP, or anything that resembles something like DnD, then I can't really help you. Still, I recommend that you join us CoNners on this site at least once. It should be an experience that you soon shouldn't forget.

-scorp

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:41 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I don't know how healthy the game is today, or if the system is even the same, but we had a lot of fun with Shadowrun back in the day (read: when it first came out). It's near future cyberpunk plus magic. Our DM liked the system so much that he started to tweak D&D spells so that they would more closely follow the Shadowrun system for magic. Don't ask me how it worked, that was right around when I stopped playing.

Palladium RPGs are ones that can be just about anything. I never really dug the system that much, but it's a possibility.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:43 PM

kboleen is surprisingly tart

I have to Second AgentMinivan's vote for Shadowrun though I too haven't played since it's 1st edition (1989). I've flipped through the 4th edition and it seems similiar to 1st ed. Also, there is a new edition to Traveller. Once again I haven't played for years, since 1983. Then there's always GURPS. Never played it though it seems very open to anything.

"Be of good courage..."
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am looking into Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
If it doesn't use 20+ sets, you're not doing it right!

Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

World of Weirdscaper.

http://worldofweirdscaper.freeforums.org/
Old July 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM

wbdhoc knows what's in an order marker wbdhoc knows what's in an order marker

I'll second Warhammer Fantasy; its combat system is intricate enough to make every skirmish a life or death suspense fest but elegant enough to not eat up an entire evening. The mythology is bar none but its constituent rulebooks offer enough elbow room so as not to over-determine a GM's every decision. Character generation and advancement begins simple but develops more complexity (some even argue it served as "blueprint" for DnD 3.5). In short, Warhammer is the "porridge that goldilocks chose" for the gamer who wants more "teeth" than DnD but less fangs than WoD.

BANJO WILL GET YOU THROUGH THE TIMES WITH NO MONEY. MONEY CAN'T GET YOU THROUGH THE TIMES WITH NO BANJO.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_llama View Post
Hay

In my quest to step into the 21st Century in gaming, I知 looking to get into a new RPG or two. I already do the D&D thing (been DM段ng for 25 odd years) and the occasional SW Saga, so I知 not looking for WOTC. I知 really not looking for anything fantasy, and I知 not much of a Zombie/Vampire/Werewolf guy. Just not my gig. I知 looking for some games that are current, available (and likely to be available for a while) and well written.

If you could please give me your suggestions (and review/opinions-pro痴 & con痴) I would be grateful.

Thanks and have a funny day...
I started looking for the same thing soon after you. I looked up the other options that were discussed early in this thread. I went out and bought up GURPS 4th Ed. There is a learning curve. But the adaptability to any genre is nice. To never really have to buy another RPG to run any kind of story I want to run is appealing.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:31 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

I used to play Palladium, it's easy, can use miniatures or not, and is a ton of fun.

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/Mercha...gory_Code=F450

And the Rifters is interesting, but it's been a while. There's always Shadowrun...

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM

turkeylegs5212 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Thumbs up Re: RPG-Suggestions/Recommendations

ADVENTURE Quest

It has nothing to do with starwars or pankake bunnys.

alex pomering

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games