Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:39 AM

ForeverWar is surprisingly tart
Value of Figs Missing Cards

My first post on this site!

So, I am pretty new to Heroscape and have been buying some now and then off of ebay. I'm trying to keep costs down, so I am considering buying some figs that are missing their cards. My questions are:

1) What kind of price discount would you expect for a squad or hero if it doesn't have a card? For instance, if a squad of 10th foot with its card usually sells for $11 on ebay, would you expect to pay $10 if it was missing its card? $5?

2) Are computer printouts of cards usually accepted as substitutes for the official cards for hobby shop play? Tournaments?

Thanks
Old January 8th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Christmas Custom Contest Champion

sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Value of Figs Missing Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverWar View Post
My first post on this site!

So, I am pretty new to Heroscape and have been buying some now and then off of ebay. I'm trying to keep costs down, so I am considering buying some figs that are missing their cards. My questions are:

1) What kind of price discount would you expect for a squad or hero if it doesn't have a card? For instance, if a squad of 10th foot with its card usually sells for $11 on ebay, would you expect to pay $10 if it was missing its card? $5?

2) Are computer printouts of cards usually accepted as substitutes for the official cards for hobby shop play? Tournaments?

Thanks
First, welcome to the site!

1. Pretty steep discount. But I wouldn't go with Ebay though. I think you should look at Auggies. The owner is a member of this site, and generally has lower prices. And a plus is that his units come with the official cards.

2. Yes, yes.

2 time winner of the Gencon Team Tournament
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Special Attacks are severely modified by death.
Trade Thread Selling most of my collection!
Old January 8th, 2012, 01:34 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I've always been a huge fan of Auggies. I used to get most of my Star Wars miniatures there. Unfortunately I haven't seen any Weston or 4th and a few others I'm looking for on that site, but I intend to keep checking now and then.

I've been able to score a few good deals on squaddies off ebay, most notably some ashigaru.
Old January 8th, 2012, 01:48 AM

XDVincent knows what's in an order marker XDVincent knows what's in an order marker XDVincent knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverWar View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I've always been a huge fan of Auggies. I used to get most of my Star Wars miniatures there. Unfortunately I haven't seen any Weston or 4th and a few others I'm looking for on that site, but I intend to keep checking now and then.

I've been able to score a few good deals on squaddies off ebay, most notably some ashigaru.
well the KoW and 4th aren't gonna be cheap there anyway. Cause they are crazy rare, and if you found 4th for $11 on ebay take it, that a great price.

and ebay can be good, but beware of insane markups on some of the less rare sets or figures.
Old January 8th, 2012, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDVincent View Post

well the KoW and 4th aren't gonna be cheap there anyway. Cause they are crazy rare, and if you found 4th for $11 on ebay take it, that a great price.

and ebay can be good, but beware of insane markups on some of the less rare sets or figures.
I scored 1 squad of the 4th for $11.50 but I despair of creating a full "valiant" army army of 4th and KoW at the usual higher prices. That's why I'm considering trying to get orphaned figures that lack cards and may be cheaper.

Incidentally, I might choose to build Romans + 10th + Marcus as a less $expensive$ alternative to 4th+Kow.
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:50 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

First off... a warm welcome to Heroscapers.

I really wouldn't say eBay is something to avoid but rather be diligent when shopping there. I personally had a number of great deals there, scoring several squads or figures at almost 50-60% cheaper than what I would pay with Auggies or Miniature Markets. I remember I got all the Marvel figures plus dice, glyphs and markers (OM, wound and round) and a couple other figures for a $1 and added $5 for international shipping. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy from Auggies or MM. And, I've also my fair share of over-priced figures from eBay.

With regards to the no cards, I've seen auctions of same figures with different starting bid due to wear and tear or no card factors. And these varies a lot, sometimes the difference is significant sometimes it's negligible. If you can save by purchasing those without cards, then go for it. You can either do these...

1. Print your own card... I've seen some tournament videos in Youtube where some folks even use custom cards (the rectangular ones). So that answers your 2nd question. But I also think this is the discretion of tournament directors.

2. Check out the trade list thread, lots of folks have extra cards that they trade, sell or even willing to give away for free.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion