Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old November 18th, 2016, 07:15 PM

misterdoctor Woo who?
Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

Dear All -- thanks so much for helping out a newbie with these cool suggestions. Those links are *really* helpful -- I can't wait to try out some of the maps. Thank you all, again.

Dad-Scaper, I went and looked at the tournament post and read the rules you suggested. They make good sense to me. I really like the idea of "General Wars," too, because it I can see how it will cut down on the length of time it takes players unfamiliar with the game to chose armies.

The problem is that right now I only have the minis from the first two master sets (well, I have the Marvel set, too, but based on comments I've seen here I don't plan on mixing the Marvel characters in), plus Maliddon's Prophecy and Orm's Return. This means that while I have a good number of Utgar and Jandar minis, it's slim pickings from the others.

I need more expansions! (Also would like to get some duplicates of common squads -- particularly the Marro figures, because my niece loves playing with the Marro and I like the look of R˙chean's "Desolation Mine" map for a future game ...)

But I've spent a fair amount on Heroscape stuff in the last couple of months and am tapped out at least until after Xmas. Soo ... in a few minutes I'm going to head over to the trade threads and see if any 'Scapers are interested in trading their spare or no-longer-wanted terrain. I have a large collection of comic books and GNs and some rare signed prints, and I've already noted several comic book fans on this forum, so maybe someone will be interested in helping feed my latest addiction!

Meanwhile, here's a picture of my first original map from a different angle, so you can see the height and levels a bit more clearly. I made it a mix of combat and quest: two 500 point armies obliged to fight one another from North to South while simultaneously making their way East to West to "Mimring's Cave" -- in order to capture a magic item and bring it back across the board to the Fortress. I had Mimring set up to function "automatically," so to speak -- killing everyone in his path once he was "woken" by a player stealing the magic item from his cave.

Yes, it *was* a bit over elaborate -- but it played pretty well, considering! I'll make my next group player scenario simpler, and will probably try the "kill-the-player-to-the-left" idea first!

Old November 18th, 2016, 07:24 PM

misterdoctor Woo who?

Ah -- just read the "read this first" post on the trade forum and it says trade lists must be Heroscape stuff only. Guess that means I should not post a list of comics/trades there. If you are interested, PM me ...?
Old November 19th, 2016, 02:01 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

You can still post there as long as either your wants or haves are heroscape. Plenty of people would take trade instead of $. They just don't want you selling non heroscape stuff for $ or othef games there.
Old November 19th, 2016, 05:14 PM

misterdoctor Woo who?

Ah! Thanks for clarifying.
I just picked up a beat-up RotF set (no box) for $25 at a yard sale! So some of my terrain supplies have increased, at least, and that puts a whole bunch more maps within my range ...
Old November 19th, 2016, 07:57 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

I found a thread a few days ago that listed how much of each set would be ideal for a collection and now I can't find... any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Old November 20th, 2016, 12:31 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Collection Guide 2: Quantities (Fully Updated) for a break down of optimal number of every unit for maximum playability in "tournament" level pre-made army matches, not necessarily home games with drafting. As far as "grouping" I highly suggest looking at Heroscape Factions: Thematic Unit Groupings and Factions of Fanscape!

The only real reason to buy more then a couple of an unit is for the "gotta catch-em-all" feel or if you have really stuck-up people you play with who would not accept proxies; and in my opinion those are not the people you should be playing with anyway.
Old November 20th, 2016, 10:40 AM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Collection Guide 2: Quantities (Fully Updated) for a break down of optimal number of every unit for maximum playability in "tournament" level pre-made army matches, not necessarily home games with drafting. As far as "grouping" I highly suggest looking at Heroscape Factions: Thematic Unit Groupings and Factions of Fanscape!

The only real reason to buy more then a couple of an unit is for the "gotta catch-em-all" feel or if you have really stuck-up people you play with who would not accept proxies; and in my opinion those are not the people you should be playing with anyway.
I wanted it for the terrain count.

As far as figures, I'm not against proxies (I love them in fact), but over time (like a long time ), I would love to get the real deals.

Thanks for the link, anyways! That's what I was looking for.
Old November 21st, 2016, 12:14 AM

DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby!

So I was messing around with army builds and a question came up.

Do abilities Stack? For example if I use the marrow Hive and use Hive mind to activate Marrden Nagrubs can I then use hive lord bonding to activate Su-Bak-Na?
Old November 21st, 2016, 12:16 AM

Good question!

The Nagrubs species is Nagrub so they do not receive bonding from the Marro Hive.
Old November 21st, 2016, 12:32 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBlizz View Post

Do abilities Stack? For example if I use the marrow Hive and use Hive mind to activate Marrden Nagrubs can I then use hive lord bonding to activate Su-Bak-Na?
To further extend off of this. There is no way to get more than one bonding type (gruts bonding with Grimnak, Wyrmling bonding, Kato bonding with Ashigaru, as examples) per turn (the release of Ulginesh closed off the last possible loop this could've created as under rules prior to Ulginesh, Ulginesh and mindshackled Ulginesh could've created an infinite loop of turns). Now, certain abilities do stack. Sir Gilbert adjacent to a knight in Taelord's aura gets 2 attack dice.

~Dysole, hoping that answers your question
Old November 21st, 2016, 07:20 AM

DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby!
Re: FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Good question!

The Nagrubs species is Nagrub so they do not receive bonding from the Marro Hive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBlizz View Post

To further extend off of this. There is no way to get more than one bonding type (gruts bonding with Grimnak, Wyrmling bonding, Kato bonding with Ashigaru, as examples) per turn (the release of Ulginesh closed off the last possible loop this could've created as under rules prior to Ulginesh, Ulginesh and mindshackled Ulginesh could've created an infinite loop of turns). Now, certain abilities do stack. Sir Gilbert adjacent to a knight in Taelord's aura gets 2 attack dice.

~Dysole, hoping that answers your question
Awesome! thanks for the quick answers!
Old November 21st, 2016, 06:58 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdoctor View Post
Ok, I'm visiting the dump with my first question.

Can anyone recommend some good custom four-player scenarios -- ideally using some combination of RotV, SotM, RttFF, FotA and/or TT? (Or even all of them if such battlefield exists??!!) I have one set each, as well about 60 loose terrain hexes (some extra sparkly water, grass, and rock).

I like the bigger maps, love the ones with a couple of distinct height levels (AliasQTips Secret bases has been a favorite so far), and don't mind taking a bit of time over the building process -- it's at least half the fun for me.

I ask because I finally got to play with a couple of adults yesterday (up to now I have been playing with my daughter and my niece). They were new to the game, and we were playing on a big map/scenario of my own design (my first attempt at such a thing), and I think I made a beginner's error in creating a slightly over-elaborate scenario -- but my friends still loved the game, and my wife -- a skeptic up till now -- enjoyed watching so much she said she wanted to play the next time we all get together. I've been downloading maps over the last week or so but most seem to be for two players ... we could of course just play in two teams of two but I think we'd all enjoy it more if we had our own armies ...

So I need a good four-hander for some relative newbies ...

All suggestions welcome, and thanks in advance ...
Dignan's multiplayer map thread is pretty good for 4 player games. He has a lot of maps that are good for 2v2, and several that work for 2v2 or 4-way.

Even some of Dignan's 1v1 maps work well for multiplayer games. For instance, I have used Grutsbane Pass, Blaze, Trident, Just Passing Through, and Flash Fire, for team games (with extra tiles tacked onto the start zones).

2v2 and 3v3 are my personal favorite game modes for playing Heroscape, and there is no format I have played more than team multiplayer.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's