Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old May 30th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Watched Wolverine last night. Enjoyable.

It was one of a stack of DVDs I picked up in a big sale the video store was having. I also got Watchmen, Incredible Hulk, Death at a Funeral, Choke, Cashback, Golden Compass and Quantum of Solace. What should we watch next? Any I should just skip?
My favorite of those would be Watchmen. I'm not a comic book fan and I barely knew the story beforehand, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Bond movies are always fun, including QoS.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:33 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majora's Incarnation View Post
National Treasure 2:The Book of Secrets
Made me realize there is going to be a 3(2011) and a 4(20??). It's so cool when I realize these things months after it has already been announced. National Treasure is the stuff though, makes history so much cooler
I like the movies a lot, but history? Not so much . . .
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:38 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:

It was one of a stack of DVDs I picked up in a big sale the video store was having. I also got Watchmen, Incredible Hulk, Death at a Funeral, Choke, Cashback, Golden Compass and Quantum of Solace. What should we watch next? Any I should just skip?
I did not read the source books on this, but from what I've heard from those who did, this was a terrible adaptation. From the perspective of someone with no prior knowledge, I thought it was a bit of a clunky mess. I'd skip it.

And I agree with Gulp, Watchmen is amazing, but gritty, so be prepared to cringe.

Old May 30th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
Golden Compass
I did not read the source books on this, but from what I've heard from those who did, this was a terrible adaptation. From the perspective of someone with no prior knowledge, I thought it was a bit of a clunky mess. I'd skip it.
[/QUOTE]

I did read the source material, which was a fun and interesting read. The movie reminded me of eating cold chili.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I watched Wolfhound last night, it's almost enjoyable (as a bad movie) until about five minutes from the end when it just craps all over what little integrity it had.

Spoiler Alert!

The dubbing in this movie is terrible and it takes quite a while to get over that. If you do decide to watch this see if it has an option to watch it in the original language with subtitles, if you can't understand what these guys are saying it may cancel out the fact that they sound ridiculous.

This movie does have some pretty good fight choreography though; especially the ones that aren't mucked up with sub-par CG stuff.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

After reading And then there were
none, I've been wanting to read and watch a lot of mysteries lately.

After watching The Mirror Cracked from Side-to-Side (A Miss Marple mystery) by Agatha Christie I can't wait to see/read more.

Agatha Christie is now probably my favorite author.
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:55 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
After reading And then there were
none, I've been wanting to read and watch a lot of mysteries lately.

After watching The Mirror Cracked from Side-to-Side (A Miss Marple mystery) by Agatha Christie I can't wait to see/read more.

Agatha Christie is now probably my favorite author.
Check out Crooked House. It's one of her lesser known novels, but it was reportedly her personal favorite (I love it too, for whatever that's worth). As far as I know, no one has made a movie adaptation yet.
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:08 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Mystery Team. It was made by the Derrick Comedy guys. It was okay. It had its moments though.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:41 AM

Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby!

Shrek forever after. Not bad, not good, better than the god awful 3rd one.

"People of Gotham! Take control.... take control of your city! THIS.... this is the instrument, of your liberation...."
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:10 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Saw Robin Hood, after watching the History (Channel) special "The Real Robin Hood," which was mostly about medieval politics and culture, although Gwynith Paltrow knows about the ancient pagan Green Man tradition (although they didn't cover it).

The flic was fun and worth discussing--see it with a pal--although the specific history as such was almost nonexistant. Good relationship between mature leads for a change! Good battle scenes (although they never happened except for the first one; History MA here). But they caught the spirit of the historically evolving long term fight for human rights.

Also, nice period costuming and acting. Very different from other "swashbuckling" Robin Hoods, which was refreshing. And a great 'final' role for the aging Max Von Sydow!
Old June 1st, 2010, 02:51 AM

Aquaryan is surprisingly tart

I was playing World of Warcraft, last night, but I am currently going to watch Terminator Salvation. I do not know about you, but I like stories where characters redeem themselves. Sam Worthington's character is a prime example. Azrael in the DC universe is another example.

Old June 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
Quote:

And I agree with Gulp, Watchmen is amazing, but gritty, so be prepared to cringe.
We watched Golden Compass last night (and Hulk the night before).

Clunky mess for sure. I really dislike movies that are just retreads of the book---I like them to stand on their own merits and mess with the plot and characters if need be. This one started out as an edited highlights sequence of the book but made some braver decisions about changes later.

I suspect that mixing both approaches didn't do enough to satisfy either those who like their book-based movies to be a moving picture version of what's in their heads already or those that like their movies to be, well, good movies.

The Hulk was just tedious.

My wife isn't too keen to see Watchmen so that'll either sit on the shelf for a while or I'll watch it by myself at some point. We'll probably watch Death at a Funeral tonight.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies