Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 13th, 2013, 10:34 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Got in three games of Summoner Wars today. Wishing I had time to keep working at/getting familiar with Mage Wars, but mid-basketball season and finals are slowing me down. Hopefully our long weekend next week will see it hit the table.

Also looking at picking up X-Wing Miniatures Game for myself or a friend for his birthday. Looks interesting enough. Just wondering about cost....
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

We went to my nephew's house tonight where we played Quarriors (I tied for the win with my nephew and we rejoiced in our shared victory)and Eminent Domain, in which my wife took off with the win.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:17 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Lawnmower View Post
Also looking at picking up X-Wing Miniatures Game for myself or a friend for his birthday. Looks interesting enough. Just wondering about cost....
You can get a really nice set-up for ~$92 with 2 core sets and 1 of each expansion, however, you can have fun with much less. Of course, wave 2 is coming out soon.
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Quote:
You can get a really nice set-up for ~$92 with 2 core sets and 1 of each expansion, however, you can have fun with much less. Of course, wave 2 is coming out soon.
You can't consider buy-in costs unless you include the Falcon and Slave 1! (Unless you're one of the lucky ones who won a Falcon in the Kessel Run )
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:13 AM

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Quote:
Quote:
You can't consider buy-in costs unless you include the Falcon and Slave 1! (Unless you're one of the lucky ones who won a Falcon in the Kessel Run )
Luck, sir, had nothing to do with it! I had loaded dice and premeasured all my moves after all.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:41 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Today got together with some friends and played:

Love Letter
Libertalia
Farmageddon
The New Science
Ooooh. Detail please. The New Science is on my radar and I need a little more proding to pick-up Libertalia.

-insert signature here-
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:34 PM

Played Memoir 44 last night Wake Island scenario, winning with the Japanese. Finally got Campaign Book 1, so we are going to start a campaign this week. About to play X-Wing over "lunch".

EDIT: We played Seasons instead and I lost a razor close game, 196-195. Insanely close. The 5 points I lost for "cheating" cost me the game. I really like this game, but I haven't had the time to invest in the draft side of things, so we just play with the starting hands in the book. One thing I don't like is remembering all the different bonuses of the cards you play. More than once I didn't collect energy or crystals I was supposed to for playing a card.

Last edited by Gurei-Ornery; January 14th, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:08 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Luck, sir, had nothing to do with it! I had loaded dice and premeasured all my moves after all.
You lucky people...

Buying into X-Wing is quite easy. Firstly, order online. Everything is way cheaper. Online, things are priced as such:

Core set (includes everything you need to play, 2 TIE Fighters and 1 X-Wing) $26
Small expansions (TIE Fighter, X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Advanced, A-Wing and TIE Interceptor in February) $10
Large expansions (Millennium Falcon and Slave I due in February) $20

The important things is to make sure that both the Rebels and the Imperials have even amounts. The ratio is about 2 Imperial ships for every 1 Rebel ship.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Today got together with some friends and played:

Love Letter
Libertalia
Farmageddon
The New Science
Ooooh. Detail please. The New Science is on my radar and I need a little more proding to pick-up Libertalia.

Well I only played The New Science once, as my buddy just got it. We played a 4 player game. Each player chooses one of the historical characters to play and has their card/mat in front of them. Each of these guys will be stronger or weaker in different areas.

There are influence tracks for things like Church, Government, Science and something else I forget right now. Each character starts at their own levels on those tracks.

Each character also has on their card the number of Research, Experiment and Publish points they have, like 0, 1, 2 or 3.

Each player has 3 action tokens to use and a pool of cubes for placement on the discovery chart.

On your turn, you place one of your action tokens on a space on the board, like Rest (can change turn order and will gain a rest point back that you might have spent to help with something), on one of the 4 different influence spaces to up your influence (Church, Government, Science etc.), Publish, Research, Experiment etc. Some of those spaces have modifiers and there is only 1 publish spot for full Vp gain and 1 for half Vp gain. There are also 2 action cards face-up that can be claimed with an action token.

Anyway, after everyone has placed their 3 action tokens, you resolve them from top to bottom and left to right.

The discovery chart in the main part of the board has a bunch of different discoveries. To place one of your "worker placement" cubes on a discovery, you must meet the Research value. Then you can later move the cube up by taking an Experiment action and rolling to see if you succeeded or failed. You can use your rest points to help you reach Research number or help with your die roll. Then you can publish your work to claim VPs and move up the Vp chart. Then you are able to research the next discover higher up on the chart and others can follow you there, riding your coat tails so to speak.

Anyway, you play until the top 4 discoveries are all published (I believe) or until the action card deck is depleted.

It's interesting and is definitely a worker placement game and has some die rolling and some action cards that you can mess with other players with or help yourself with. You only have 3 actions per turn, so you have to time things because you can't always do what you want to because spaces are limited, so that's where choosing Rest first will not only get you another rest point (these are used to help with things, so you are always using them and needing to get more back), but will put you first in the turn order. That helps when you really want to publish something next turn and there is only one publish action space available to claim.

I liked it and would play it again, but it's not something that I'd choose to play every week.

Libertalia is really fun. I've played it with 3 and 5 players. It says 2 can play but I don't think that would be something you'd want to do very often, as the more the merrier, depending on your group. It's an easy game to learn mechanically, but the fun is seeing what booty shows up for the different days and deciding which cards to play. Some cards mess with other players, some give you quick returns and some give you lasting returns (as long as other players don't take them out). So while it is easy to play and learn, getting to know when to use certain cards is what adds a little meat to it. You also try to keep track of what others have played so that later you can play a card and know that someone else already played it. It's just a fun game and beautiful components.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:53 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

My fiance and I have been hooked on Legendary... Played three games this weekend. The first two games resulted in the Mastermind winning each time. Our third match we finally won, but barely. Magneto was the Mastermind and the scheme was the skrull invasion. We had 4 skrulls (heroes) in the escape pile with two more in the city (one on the bridge and one on the rooftop). It was Tina's turn, and fortunately the sewer was empty to avoid another push (escape). She managed to have enough power to defeat Magneto for the last time, securing a victory. She also took legendary bragging rights with the scores as 25 to 21.

We play with the "final showdown" optional rule. I think its fun and brings a small bit of tension in trying to secure the final Magneto card. Tina won the final showdown 16 to 15, which allowed her to snag the final Magneto card. Interestingly enough, had we not played that optional rule, I would have won with the final scores as 21 to 20. I think we'll stick with using that optional rule. Does anyone else play with this rule?

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:55 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker

Wow thanks for the info guys. It'll help.
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:52 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

At last, my Savage Orc Great Shaman is complete! Glueing him to his base was tricky, since he and his boar are both metal, while the rest of the model is plastic. He broke once, but I just fixed him tonight, and he seems much sturdier now. The rock the boar is on is made of a piece of insulation foam, painted brown.
Spoiler Alert!

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games