Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old February 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Valguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassistofDoom View Post
Valguard's beserker enhancement I would disregard because the Tarns really aren't good enough to have with him just because of that. DeadliestWarrior makes a good point in that Tandros Kreel is just as good but Valguard can just get in do damage and die. I think he would be most affective against squads because his 5 attack in first assault with some good rollling will be enough to down any squad member so he can keep moving around. The problem is if he doesn't get you first time around, he has 2 attack.
I think Tandros is better agianst squads, point for point, as if he kills one, and he can kill another, plus he doesn't lose attack after he attacks. So, really the only thing Valguard has going for his is his enhancement of the Tarns (minor) and bonding (major).

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:02 AM

Bolo knows what's in an order marker Bolo knows what's in an order marker

Tandros Kreel does not have a bonding squad, so in this aspect he does not fill the same role as Valguard.

If a chicken and a 1/2, can lay an egg and a 1/2 in a day and a 1/2, how long would it take a grasshopper with one wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a cucumber?
Old July 19th, 2012, 08:25 PM

GTigers55 knows what's in an order marker GTigers55 knows what's in an order marker

Over year long necro!

I think I may have found a way to bring this unused Viking to the table! I used him in a 700 point army consisting of Sacred Band and Roman Legos as well as the other two Einar warlords and some 10th.

I used the Sacred band to prevent Valguard from being engaged as i closed in on the raelin and syvarris pod. I mistakenly moved Valguard outside of the protection of the Sacred Band and he was engaged by two bloodthirsty Tagawas. I swiftly left engagement taking luckily no wounds and moved the band up to engage the Samurai. I lost one Sacred band member but still was able to charge in on the next turn and take out a wounded Raelin. The band was finished by the Tagawas and Valguard retreated (leaving another engagement) to high ground.

The 10th moved in and made swift work of the bothersome Fen Hydra (whom which Valguard last disengaged). The Romans moved in while Valguard stayed back and picked off the ordermarker-less Tagawas with his first assault. The Romans moved in and engaged Eltahale and Sonlen while Valguard worked his way around to get at Syvarris (who was engaged with the last remaining 10th).

The Romans slew Sonlen and wounded Eltahale. Valguard moved in and finished the job and the game.

So basically the strategy is keep Valguard unengaged while engaging enemy figures with the Band or Legos. AND DONT BE SCARED TO DISENGAGE! His seven lives make him very durable against a 50% chance of a wound. Valguard was able to kill 4 heroes (Raelin, Sonlen, Syvarris, and Eltahale) and two of the Tagawas. Very good for an under used expensive figures.

~GT55, go dreadguls!

Wright State Raider since 2014.
Trade List 8/15/14
Sculpt Polls!

Last edited by GTigers55; July 19th, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker

And a common Dreadgul squad is in the pipes for C3V.....
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM

Overlord Hikash is surprisingly tart

That would be nice! I made my own Dreadgul and Ulrick customs some time ago.
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:03 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Has anyone played

200 Romans x 4
110 Valguard
100 Marcus
90 Ne-Gok-Sa
500, 19 spaces?
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:19 PM

GTigers55 knows what's in an order marker GTigers55 knows what's in an order marker

Haven't played it but it sounds pretty good, for melee. If there was any good ranged units that army would be a field of dead Romans.

~GT55

Wright State Raider since 2014.
Trade List 8/15/14
Sculpt Polls!
Old April 6th, 2015, 07:41 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Valguard
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!
Old June 22nd, 2017, 01:12 AM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Won a multiplayer game tonight with Valguard as the last man standing. Would never have believed someone if they told me I'd pick let alone win with him but with dreadguls he's actually a solid choice. props to C3V making one of the most mediocre units and making them viable, though 2 attack once you're getting into an endgame slog can result in a weird ending to a game.
Old November 20th, 2017, 08:50 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

I find the C rating a bit unwarranted, but maybe he just is worse than he looks.

7 life with 4 defense? That is very beefy for 110 points. Add in raelin or Kelda and it is going to take a lot to finally bring him down. Sure, he is easy to tie down to negate his high attack, but his charging attack is just icing on the cake. His real value comes from the value he has in luring your opponent's into a melee and being able to keep attention long enough that you can set up other strategies.

Pair him with some romans, marcus, and 10th reg, and he can lead a vanguard of romans out to bring the fight where you want it, then use the distraction to quickly set up your 10th with marcus' movement bonus. When your opponent breaks through, they will (if played right), be fighting an uphill battle against a well positioned crossfire of 10th reg.

If a few lucky stragglers manage to get dangerously close, send out reinforcements as a second wave of romans + Marcus to clean up the survivors. Or just bayonet charge the survivors, because that is more fun.
Old November 20th, 2017, 11:36 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

The C rating may be slightly lower than what he deserves, maybe a C+? His stats are strong for the cost, on top of bonding with a fairly competitive squad. I think what’s dragging him down is that there are simply better warlords for the roman legions to employ as beatsticks. Ne-Gok-Sa is cheaper and can hurl Mindshackles out and Me-Burq-Sa is ranged. As a semi-range counter, you can even draft Venoc Warlord who has a high movement and decent bulk.

Now if we’re talking Greeks, this guy really comes into his own, but Romans are more prominent competitively. That might have more to do with the Sacred Band being a moderately expensive squad though ($$$-wise).

I haven’t played him with Dreadguls from the C3V, but I imagine his use would be similar to the Venoc Warlord’s use in a Viper build. Still a helpful piece, boosting allies and being able to tank in end-game or as the situatiom requires in mid-game.

@DoomCarrot Valguard has a good shot in a larger scale Podge Army. Probably wouldn’t go below 600 points for him though...

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; November 20th, 2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Now I want to play the Sacred Band... hmmm
Old November 21st, 2017, 07:06 AM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

But see, ne-gok-sa is one of those figures that you don’t want to engage. Most opponents will fall back and only keep commons within 5 spaces of you, forcing you play on their terms. Valguard enourages the opponent to engage you, or risk getting repeatedly hammered with 6 attack dice. Therefore I feel a valguard vanguard has more ability to draw opponents out than a ne gon sa vangaurd

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units