Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 10th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Vivaldi is surprisingly tart
Re: The Book of Ana Karithon

I suppose I could comment on the original Ana-Rae pod as I ran it for a couple of rounds at a recent event.

It was really fun to play, and easy to build because everything is from master sets. If I had to give it a grade I would rate it as comparable to 3 squad-member heroscape with high variance(losing anyone really hurts you) -- B-ish.
It held up without losses against-
Nilfheim
2x snipers
2x repulsors
Although there was no healing going on and my opponent really had poor dice luck.

It failed against
Cyprien
Sonya
Iskra
Retchets
Zelrig
I did heal two chilling touch wounds on Syvarris, but the continued strong chilling touch rolls took their toll. Raelin died to a 3 skull rechet in the beginning of round 2. Zelrig, Iskra and Sonya were alive at the end.
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:33 PM

Acinonyx has disabled reputation

I've been trying use her with Alister. Her healing isn't automatic, but it can be so effective, especially with the extending damage that Alister can inflict on himself. So far, I've had good luck in dungeon crawl situations, but haven't quite figured it out in regular 500 point games. I have been too aggressive with my placement of Ana in those games I think.

Last edited by Acinonyx; May 10th, 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:59 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I just used Ana for the first time since I first got the set and played the campaign. She performed most admirably!! I didn't even get to use her healing or her turn undead attack, but the extra defense die was great, her normal attack took down a couple guys, and she held up reasonably well (something I'll attribute to luck rather than ability). I used her with Knights and Hawthorne against an army of Drow. Keeping my figures within 3 spaces was sometimes tough, especially when they were trying to run around on the front line, but I managed. I'll be giving her another chance sometimes soon. I had initially dismissed her and wish I'd seen her potential sooner.

I like the idea of using her with Alastair. He can go fight, then retreat from the front, and in one turn take a wound for two chances to remove up to four wounds.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:55 PM

dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
I like the idea of using her with Alastair. He can go fight, then retreat from the front, and in one turn take a wound for two chances to remove up to four wounds.
I think you are mistaken.
Healing Word is only after revealing an order marker on a wounded hero.
It will not work after Alastair's Overextend Attack.
Old September 15th, 2010, 05:27 PM

RickyDMMontoya is surprisingly tart

It's stupid that Ana Karithon's Protection from Evil Aura won't do jack squat against all the new Valkrill demon and undead units that, by all estimates seem significantly more evil than anything Utgar has shown us.

Foresight failure on behalf of the design team.

Rules Lawyer.
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDMMontoya View Post
It's stupid that Ana Karithon's Protection from Evil Aura won't do jack squat against all the new Valkrill demon and undead units that, by all estimates seem significantly more evil than anything Utgar has shown us.

Foresight failure on behalf of the design teamWotC.
I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of hearing this rant. If you read the boards, blame WotC, not our design team. They had no knowledge of the new general when they created Ana. Besides, it will be quite a while before Valkrill's forces are plentiful enough for needing protecting from.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:35 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Its interesting about Ana, with Valkryll having an Undead theme. As someone has pointed out, she had no power over Sudema (Vydar's Undead), which I never caught. However, this business with the new general was clearly a "mistake" in the game's publishing history, which resulted from bad timing with the WOTC dictated release of the 7th General so soon after Ana's release. Although a certain player should have made his comment in a less accusatory and insulting manner. Whether they will Errata Ana to have power against all Undead, or provide a future "fix" with a new Army Card, remains to be seen.

Years ago, back in the day when I only had one live Scape opponent to play against (on a good day, otherwise it was solitaire), I experimented with House Rules. Certain things always bug someone in any design. In my case, I didn't let anyone shoot a target that was 'visible' between two pine trees!

But when multiple players showed up and we started a regular group playing at my centrally located place, where I can provide a large table as well, I felt that it was easier to play with the standard rules in general to keep peace in the family. Although we tried all kinds of scenario specific rules, which we do down to this day.

So recently, when a new player with his posse was about visit and play with our group for the first time, he considerately offered to play "by our rules." And of course we don't have any. But for the first time now, I'm proposing a House Rule--that Ana K. should be able to effect all Undead. After all, is Valkryll's Undead any more UNDEAD than Utgar's?
I imagine there will be at least one player who will refuse, and we won't be able to do it.

There have been other glitches in the design here and there, although not many. Hamtaro Taro's stats were apparently "fixed" and issued by WOTC incorrectly, for example. Luckily, we have the power to play the game as we like, once we buy our copy! Even if the designers don't change the Official Rule for tournaments, etc. We are more free than they are to make our own local changes. We don't have to toe the company line.

Or as they used to say in the old Navy recruiting ads:

Heroscape: its not just a job; its an adventure!

Last edited by chas; September 16th, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Its interesting about Ana, with Valkryll having an Undead theme. As someone has pointed out, she had no power over Sudema (Vydar's Undead), which I never caught. However, this business with the new general was clearly a "mistake" in the game's publishing history, which resulted from bad timing with the WOTC dictated release of the 7th General so soon after Ana's release. Although a certain player should have made his comment in a less accusatory and insulting manner. Whether they will Errata Ana to have power against all Undead, or provide a future "fix" with a new Army Card, remains to be seen.

Years ago, back in the day when I only had one live Scape opponent to play against (on a good day, otherwise it was solitaire), I experimented with House Rules. Certain things always bug someone in any design. In my case, I didn't let anyone shoot a target that was 'visible' between two pine trees!

But when multiple players showed up and we started a regular group playing at my centrally located place, where I can provide a large table as well, I felt that it was easier to play with the standard rules in general to keep peace in the family. Although we tried all kinds of scenario specific rules, which we do down to this day.

So recently, when a new player with his posse was about visit and play with our group for the first time, he considerately offered to play "by our rules." And of course we don't have any. But for the first time now, I'm proposing a House Rule--that Ana K. should be able to effect all Undead. After all, is Valkryll's Undead any more UNDEAD than Utgar's?
I imagine there will be at least one player who will refuse, and we won't be able to do it.

There have been other glitches in the design here and there, although not may. Hamtaro Taro's stats were apparently "fixed" and issued by WOTC incorrectly, for example. Luckily, we have the power to play the game as we like, once we buy our copy! Even if the designers don't change the Official Rule for tournaments, etc. We are more free than they are to make our own local changes. We don't have to toe the company line.

Or as they used to say in the old Navy recruiting ads:

Heroscape: its not just a job; its an adventure!
Ana's Turn Undead ability affects all undead figures, regardless of alignment. Her Protection From Evil Aura is the power that makes WotC look dumb.

And Taro was released way before WotC took over. I hadn't heard anything about the alternate version being the intended one either.
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ok, people, you should all really read Ana's card. She has Turn Undead Special Attack that works against ALL undead regardless which General they follow. The protection of evil adds a defense die to your figures roll against ALL Utgar figures.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:30 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraine69 View Post
Ok, people, you should all really read Ana's card. She has Turn Undead Special Attack that works against ALL undead regardless which General they follow. The protection of evil adds a defense die to your figures roll against ALL Utgar figures.
Yeah, I don't think these people under stand, xraine69.

Utgar is evil, so Ana's Protection from Evil works on Utgar. But VALKRILL is REALLY EVIL. Ana doesn't have protection from REALLY EVIL just evil, so Ana's Protection from evil doesn't work on VALKRILL troops.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:42 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

So yeah - there's this figure named Raelin that adds defense to EVERYONE against EVERYTHING, and there's even 2 different versions of her.

Ana sucks anyway - if you want defense against Valkrill, use Raelin.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDMMontoya View Post

Foresight failure on behalf of the design team.
Talk about stupid!

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units