Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old December 18th, 2009, 07:43 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun
The Book of Ana Karithon

The Book of Ana Karithon

Battle For the Underdark - Master Set

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: Ana commands the battlefield with the power of her faith. She leads her comrades in the fight against evil, bolstering and healing them while casting divine prayers that cause her enemies to wither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
TURN UNDEAD SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 4. Attack 4.
Turn Undead Special Attack can be used to attack only Undead figures.

PROTECTION FROM EVIL AURA
All small or medium figures you control within 3 clear sight spaces of Ana Karithon add 1 to their defense dice when rolling defense against an attack from a figure who follows Utgar. Ana Karithon’s Protection from Evil Aura does not affect Ana Karithon.

HEALING WORD
After revealing an order marker on a wounded small or medium Hero figure you control that is adjacent to Ana Karithon, and before using any other special powers on any Army Card or Glyph, you may first roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, remove up to 2 wound markers from that Hero’s Army Card.
-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
UNDEAD UNITS : TURN UNDEAD SPECIAL ATTACK: As undead figures, the following units are subject to Ana Karithon's Turn Undead Special Attack:
Cyprien Esenwein
Death Knights of Valkrill
Iskra Esenwein
Marcu Esenwein
The Phantom Knights
Rechets of Bogdan
Shades of Bleakewoode
Sonya Esenwein
Sudema
Zombies of Morindan
Synergy Benefits Offered
N/A
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Power Rankings

Jexik: Ana Karithon- Somewhere between Kelda and Raelin. Might be neat as PK tech. B

OEAO: Ana Karithon- One of my favorite figures in the game. I spent years trying to perfect a hero podge with Tandros Kreel and Ana. Off-turn healing is fantastic, and her anti-Utgar aura is useful in a surprising percentage of games. Unfortunately, she's just a tad to pricey for what she brings to the table. At 80 points, I'd be totally in. B

Cleon: Tier 4 (153/208)

dok (VC inclusive): B

Master Index
Ana Karithon Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Unit Strategy Review
TBA

Last edited by lefton4ya; February 16th, 2023 at 09:53 AM. Reason: vc added
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Ana Karithon

I think people are going to be surprised at how competitive Ana is in a mixed setting. I've done some proxy battles, combining Ana with various high-value medium heroes. It's a matchup-dependent build, but against the right opponent she can be pretty dominant.

If you allow mixed Marvel, this sort of build can be pretty brutal:

Revenge of the Master sets
80 Raelin RotV
100 Ana Karithon
100 Syvarris
220 Captain America
500, 4 hexes

You pretty much have to turtle with it to take advantage of Ana's adjacency healing. But with Syvarris's range, it's not hard to do. Find a high spot, and form a diamond with Syvarris at the tip, Raelin in the back, and CA and Ana adjacent to both.

Syvarris is rolling between 5 and 7 defense dice, depending on height and whether the opponent follows Utgar. On offense, he's rolling 2 attacks of 4 or 5, with a range of 9, and healing every time. If your opponent chooses to go for Raelin first, she's rolling 4 to 6 defense dice. Captain America is basically your cleanup figure, because nobody is going to try to kill him first.

It's sort of a cross between the elf wizard posse and the Vydar ranged pod, and probably somewhere between them in order of effectiveness. I just annihilated a rats/stingers/Raelin/Kaemon build with it.

If you don't allow Marvel, it's a bit dicier, because he's so good in this build. But Kaemon Awa, Sonlen, and Tandros are all pretty good in this build, too.

Last edited by dok; December 20th, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old December 20th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Seeing as Marvel is very rarely allowed, the CA thing won't work and she and Syvarris and Raelin will be severly severed in that. Even with someone like Tandros and another 100 points, such as the Krav, you are going to be hurting without the Captain.

POST 1600

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:04 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
Seeing as Marvel is very rarely allowed, the CA thing won't work and she and Syvarris and Raelin will be severly severed in that.
Well, Marvel is allowed in lots of places. Even Gencon has the mixed marvel event, the Northeast often has marvel-eligible events, some areas of the midwest have introduced the "Jotun rule" that allows Captain America and all the marvel figures cheaper than him, and the tournaments around here are all fully mixed Marvel.

That said, yes, the Captain really makes this combo go. The synergy is so great because Ana really forces you to keep your heroes clumped, and that brings Captain America's tactician bonus into play. Taking Syvarris from 3A/2D to 4A/5D (plus healing) is huger than huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
Even with someone like Tandros and another 100 points, such as the Krav, you are going to be hurting without the Captain.
The Krav, while being really great of course, don't benefit at all from Ana's healing power. The Krav (and Skahen) do benefit from Tandros's ability to force engaged figures to attack him in stead of the stealth dodgers, though. But against squads, it can be pretty tricky to block up everyone with Tandros alone.

At any rate having the Krav and Syvarris in the same army just seems like redundancy. If I had to play Ana in a no-Marvel environment, the first figures I'd be inclined to add to Raelin and Ana would be Sonlen and Kaemon Awa. Or, taking it in another direction, you could add Skahen and Laglor. (killercactus thought of that one too.)

As befits a D&D figure, putting Ana in your army really biases you towards picking heroes as opposed to squads.

ETA: it's also worth noting that the Ana/Raelin/Sonlen combo works great with Q9, as mccombju observed. That's probably the best non-marvel option, even though Q9 can't be healed directly by Ana.

Last edited by dok; December 20th, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Regarding Healing Word, since you have to remove the wound markers before "using any other special powers on any army card or glyph," does this mean you can move with that figure and attack with a normal attack before removing the wound markers? This exact interpretation would allow road movement bonus but not Valda.
A reason for using a normal attack first before removing wound markers would be if the figure starts the turn with only one wound and attacks a unit that has counter strike.

I can see that a figure that starts adjacent to her but moves away might possibly negate the power.
However, if the figure to receive the benefit of Healing Word is already adjacent to both Ana and to a Counter Striking enemy figure, then no movement would be necessary. Also, a short hero like Eldrgim (beginning the turn with a wound marker already) who starts 2 levels higher than her and falls 4 levels (two levels lower than her), can receive another wound from falling damage, all the while staying adjacent. In each case, they would benefit from waiting to use her Healing Word, and would not violate the wording of the power, nor the possible intended spirit that suggests they need stay adjacent for the duration of the turn.

Thoughts?

Old December 20th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Regarding Healing Word, since you have to remove the wound markers before "using any other special powers on any army card or glyph," does this mean you can move with that figure and attack with a normal attack before removing the wound markers? This exact interpretation would allow road movement bonus but not Valda.
A reason for using a normal attack first before removing wound markers would be if the figure starts the turn with only one wound and attacks a unit that has counter strike.

I can see that a figure that starts adjacent to her but moves away might possibly negate the power.
However, if the figure to receive the benefit of Healing Word is already adjacent to both Ana and to a Counter Striking enemy figure, then no movement would be necessary. Also, a short hero like Eldrgim (beginning the turn with a wound marker already) who starts 2 levels higher than her and falls 4 levels (two levels lower than her), can receive another wound from falling damage, all the while staying adjacent. In each case, they would benefit from waiting to use her Healing Word, and would not violate the wording of the power, nor the possible intended spirit that suggests they need stay adjacent for the duration of the turn.

Thoughts?
I don't think any of the effects you suggest would actually apply. The "after revealing an order marker" language would be handled in the same way as it is with Marcu Esenwein: it's the first order of business in the turn. A hero must begin its turn next to Ana to roll for healing, and must do so before taking any other action.

The significance of the "before using any other special powers on any army card or glyph" language is to make it clear that figures that have an "instead of taking a turn with XXX" power (i.e. Ornak, Kato Kasuro, and Red Skull) may roll for healing and then use their "instead of taking a turn" power.
Old December 20th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It may just be that I don't see tournaments enough dok. I have played in Mixed Marvel in both the past 2 years at Gencon, and went with Iron Man. I have noticed that Marvel is highly a paper tiger. I would be happy to allow Marvel in all tournaments, but I think my previous statement is biased off being only to a total of 4 Heroscape Events. (Counting Gencon as 1 each time)

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:53 AM

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Draft Ana with Raelin - No theoryscape there. That combination is evil.

Draft Ana with beefy heroes (a la Tandros, Migol, Drake, etc.). They totally fixed Kelda. Healing on a friendly's OM instead of the healer's is perfect. Migol is an incredible bodyguard when Ana is healing him every turn.

Draft Ana with Ranged heroes : I'd like to order an Erevan sandwich on Karithon-Kyrie bread, please. Oh, and just leave off the Taelord--I can't afford the points (did I just make a diet-plan joke? That's weird).

Draft Ana against Orc Armies, Marro Armies, or any other Utgarmy that is predictable in the draft. That aura is definitely useful.

And if they ever release Cyprien's skeleton cavalry, and those turn out to be "Undead," draft Ana against those too.
Old December 24th, 2009, 10:00 AM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteofthedice View Post

Draft Ana with beefy heroes (a la Tandros, Migol, Drake, etc.). They totally fixed Kelda. Healing on a friendly's OM instead of the healer's is perfect. Migol is an incredible bodyguard when Ana is healing him every turn.
I'm not sure I understand. For Ana to heal Migol every turn, doesn't that mean he's never able to move? Surely your opponent will simply keep away so you're forced to move him, thus requiring you to spend order markers on Ana to keep up.
Old December 24th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteofthedice View Post

I'm not sure I understand. For Ana to heal Migol every turn, doesn't that mean he's never able to move? Surely your opponent will simply keep away so you're forced to move him, thus requiring you to spend order markers on Ana to keep up.
Yes, but when combined with "Draft Ana with Ranged Heroes," Migol becomes a stone wall for a sniper.
Old December 24th, 2009, 10:41 AM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

So you're talking about using Migol as a blocker. I suppose that would work if the map has a suitable choke point, but I would imagine that in most cases, your opponent would simply go around Migol to reach Ana and the ranged heroes.
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Fair enough. I had them in a good position on height. Not a choke point, but a spot that disadvantaged figures as they approached. The Ana/Raelin/Migol/(ranged figure-I had Erevan) group is just really good at maximizing on one another's abilities.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units