Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old September 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Death Knights of Valkrill Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDMMontoya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDMMontoya View Post
It's stupid that Ana Karithon's Protection from Evil Aura won't do jack squat against all the new Valkrill demon and undead units that, by all estimates seem significantly more evil than anything Utgar has shown us.

Foresight failure on behalf of the design team.

Edit: Crossposting into her Book.
The decision to add Valkril was not from the design team and was not known at the time of the release/design of MS3.
That doesn't make it look any less stupid after the fact. The two are separated by mere months, and now her ability is goofy and out of place.
as are some players comments
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
These guys aren't that great. A 2 person squad isn't great for Board Control and if you keep Taelord close he will be in danger from enemy attacks pretty soon.

I think these guys are Gladiator quality at best in regards to competitiveness (ie not)
Good thing this game is also (mostly) designed for non-tournament settings then.

Newb.
It's also not completely true. They can be paired up with a 25 point common hero to round out to a three man squad for 85 points and some serious smack power.
I bet if Auggie's had any Dum Guards, by tomorrow they won't
I got ed on the Knight vs. Death Knight. As for the Dumatef Guard, I have 7. I just recently got ahold of 2 RttFF and was wondering what I would do with all those Dumatefs. Great job and thanks guys.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape

Last edited by xraine69; September 15th, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:33 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraine69 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
These guys aren't that great. A 2 person squad isn't great for Board Control and if you keep Taelord close he will be in danger from enemy attacks pretty soon.

I think these guys are Gladiator quality at best in regards to competitiveness (ie not)
Good thing this game is also (mostly) designed for non-tournament settings then.

Newb.
It's also not completely true. They can be paired up with a 25 point common hero to round out to a three man squad for 85 points and some serious smack power.
These guys look amazing. I might get another DG which only puts me at 2, but I still have Taelord and thats good enough for me!!! Great job!

I got ed on the Knight vs. Death Knight. As for the Dumatef Guard, I have 7.
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:34 PM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

These guys are interesting. I find it really odd they have no Valkrill hero to go with them....

Yet >
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:34 PM

DWK9000 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoCheese View Post
I'm not particularly great at this game and don't have much experience, but I feel like contributing anyway.

The Death Knights certainly bring a lot to the table. I see them ending up as a major (or at least notable) melee threat in the future.

Air Elemental: Use the elementals to ensure (or at least try) that the D. Knights don't get overwhelmed by melee. Needs some way to deal with range. Also, I pity any figure that flies going up against these guys.

Khosumet the Darklord: Will Relentless Assault now have a use? Partnered with some Anubian Wolves, I could see an army built around switching between the Death Knights and Anubians. Turn 1: Move and attack with D. Knights and move Khosumet into position. Turn 2: Hope you get a good Unleashed Fury roll and move in with the Anubians. Rinse, repeat. Would probably be an order marker nightmare considering you still need anti-range.

Sir Hawthorne: I don't see this as your best option. Sure it could work, but there are certainly better uses for Unholy Bonding. Sadly, it doesn't negate his Stab in the Back either.

Taelord the Kyrie Warrior: Do i even have to say anything? These guys were literally made for Taelord!

Venoc Warlord: More support for the Venoc Warlord! Most of the uses I see (Venocs, Mohicans) would only be useful in large point games. I can imagine an army with the D. Knights, V. Warlord, and Aubrien Archers being fairly effective though. I would like to test this theory.

Dumutef Guard: As mentioned, this makes for a pretty good melee core, especially on road heavy maps. There still aren't too many uses for Devourer Attack Enhancement, but the D. Knights have melee covered making it of little consequence.

Overall, I like these guys. They have great sculpts and their abilities open up quite a few interesting possibilities.
Hawthorn is awsome why wouldnt you use him the stab in the back happens on a roll of 1. The chances of it happening are very slim and if you happpen to have the lucky glyph your chances are nil
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:35 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Newb.
This was the first thing I checked after making this thread. No Dumutefs at Auggie's. Fortunately I have three already, but I could use one more.
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:46 PM

YoYoCheese is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWK9000 View Post
Hawthorn is awsome why wouldnt you use him the stab in the back happens on a roll of 1. The chances of it happening are very slim and if you happpen to have the lucky glyph your chances are nil
Personally, I like Hawthorne (even if don't actually have him yet), but I'm not seeing a large number of advantages gained by bonding with the D. Knights. Also, SitB is rare, but still possible and the luck glyph is not on every map.

Again, I'm no Napoleon Bonaparte. Who knows? With the right strategy the D. Knights could be a massive boost for Sir Hawthorne. We might be surprised.
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Speculation has proven that I don't understand one of those two words

Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker

Woah. Taelord love.

Obviously, when you mention Taelord, Omnicron armies come to mind. These guys could be a really cool melée screen for the Snipers. The only thing is, with only 2 figures in a squad, I'm not sure how that will work. Maybe if one could try using them kinda like an attacking screen, that could work. The only question is who to stick Taelord with.

Both the Snipers and the DKs would greatly benefit from Tae. That's why I think the DKs and Snipers could kind of move as a pod with Taelord in between them. I can't think of anything like Rats, Stingers, or Raelin, that could counter this. Tons of multi attacks like Q9 and the Ashigaru might give this build trouble, but really because of the DKs high defense, the chances are slim.

Maybe:
Taelord
Snipers x2
DK x2

Sorry if this was posted before, this thread has filled up fast and I may have missed it.
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Air Elemental: Use the elementals to ensure (or at least try) that the D. Knights don't get overwhelmed by melee. Needs some way to deal with range. Also, I pity any figure that flies going up against these guys.
I might toss one or two AEs in to a DK army, but overall, I don't think they're the best figure to pair with the DKs. Air Elementals are better for protecting ranged figures or cheerleaders, not for joining the attack force.

Quote:
Khosumet the Darklord: Will Relentless Assault now have a use? Partnered with some Anubian Wolves, I could see an army built around switching between the Death Knights and Anubians. Turn 1: Move and attack with D. Knights and move Khosumet into position. Turn 2: Hope you get a good Unleashed Fury roll and move in with the Anubians. Rinse, repeat. Would probably be an order marker nightmare considering you still need anti-range.
Yeah, these guys are a better option for Khosumet than the WoB are, but Khosumet isn't a very good option for them.

Quote:
Sir Hawthorne: I don't see this as your best option. Sure it could work, but there are certainly better uses for Unholy Bonding. Sadly, it doesn't negate his Stab in the Back either.
I disagree here. Like many melee armies, the DKs fear rats and counterstrikers. Hawthorne is an elegant and affordable solution to those problems. Sure, you live and die by the d20, but that's how it works.

(The DKs actually do well against the WoA, because the WoA will whiff a lot with only one defense die.)

Quote:
Taelord the Kyrie Warrior: Do i even have to say anything? These guys were literally made for Taelord!
I disagree. I think Taelord's best army is still unchanged. Taelord is just too expensive and has too big a target to spend his time up near the front. The best way to use Taelord is to have him standing next to Raelin and 4 hexes behind a row of 10th regiment or Omnicron Snipers or some other ranged force.

In a high point game, I would toss DKs and Taelord together, but at typical tournament point levels, I'm not sure it makes much sense.

Quote:
Venoc Warlord: More support for the Venoc Warlord! Most of the uses I see (Venocs, Mohicans) would only be useful in large point games. I can imagine an army with the D. Knights, V. Warlord, and Aubrien Archers being fairly effective though. I would like to test this theory.
There's some interesting options here, but Mittens already has two other bonding squads and I'm not sure the DKs really give him any options he didn't already have.

Quote:
Dumutef Guard: As mentioned, this makes for a pretty good melee core, especially on road heavy maps. There still aren't too many uses for Devourer Attack Enhancement, but the D. Knights have melee covered making it of little consequence.
Yeah, this is my favorite option, along with Hawthorne. You can try to make Marcu or Anubians work with the Dumutefs, but it's probably better to just load up on DKs and Dumutefs and roll with it.
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

VERY interested in these guys. Another simple but elegant and VERY fun design. I like Relentless Bonding - it's very vague, and could make for some interesting synergy. I mean, bonding with Khosumet! And Taelord! And the Dumutef! Finally he'll get some use...

...and the design is fantastic, too. I was worried it'd be too "black and evil," but I love the sort of ruined feel to it.
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
The Dumatef really is getting the love from these guys

At long last! The Dumutef will once again rise up through the ranks of common heroes!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Huh, thinking for a minute...

Death Knights x6 ~ 360 Points
Dumutef Guard x6 ~ 150 Points
24 tiles, 510 Points

Alright, yeah, I don't think it'd be all that good... but man, wouldn't it be FUN?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units