Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old February 6th, 2008, 12:25 PM

Oyhedwig has disabled reputation
Apologies, if this is a repeat question...
When counting starting spaces (24 for a 500 pointer), do you count the Airborne Elite if they are on your team?

What I mean is, if you have all 24 hexes filled, could you also have the Airborne as they don't start on the field?

My Deathwalkers climb.
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Although Grungebob says he talked to someone from Hasbro shortly before GenCon '07, and was informed that AE/Rechets do count toward your starting space limitations. That's how it was played there.

There are some tournament organizers who disagree though, because they never saw it in 'official' writing.

I think there are good arguments on both sides of the debate, but the AE are still worth their points when they count toward your starting spaces.

It's funny that you mention that 1st round drops are the best time to get them, I prefer a 2nd or 3rd round drop when I'm playing the Airborne, but I'm not a big fan of the grenades. When I try that, it seems like I always lose initiative and lose half my squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:11 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyhedwig
Good point. I hear a lot about first round grenades on a start zone, but usually I do the most damage with the AE later in the game. The long range with four attacks (most likely with a height advantage), is what makes them shine in my opinion.

Thanks for the responses regarding the start zone.
I agree. Their grenade attack may kill a few vipers or blastatrons, but they will be killed an order marker later (and most likely will not earn their pts back). Putting them on height to take out heroes or as much of a squad as possible is a much better idea. They are awesome in that regard. Nothing fills me with dread as much as an opposing army that has the AE.
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
To me, start zone spaces are just that: the physical amount of room you have available on the map. No more, no less. If you have a lot of two-hex figures, and your start zone is bumpy, and you can't fit them all legally, tough. If you have AE/Rechets and save some space, great.

I would certainly still use the AE if they were to count for four spaces-- it just seems wrong to me that they would.
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:32 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
This is what we have to work with:

From the SOTM rule book:

If there are more Army figures than spaces in the starting zone, then you can't use the extra figures.

From the AE Card:

Airborne Elite do not start the game on the battlefield.
_______

Both are very clear and neither make reference to the other. It doesn't say they AE exempt from start zone rules. It says they do not start on the battle field.

The rulebook is providing the governor to determine the maximum number of hexes your army can take up on the board. It makes no provision for whether or not those figures actually start on the board. It is saying that if you have more figures than spaces you cant use the figures. Whether they start on the board or not is irrelevant.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I guess I feel it's not about counting the hexes occupied by the bases of every figure in your army and comparing to the number of hexes in the start zone. What matters is physically fitting those figures into the actual start zone on the map. If the start zone is under an overhang, some tall figures won't be able to play. If the start zone is bumpy, you might not be able to get a bunch of two-hex squad figures to mesh together perfectly. If there are ladders in the start zone, little guys like nagrubs and rats are going to be able to crowd in and stack up where a large or huge figure couldn't. If your own Nilf or Grimnak is spilling over into more spaces then his base occupies, you forfeit the spaces covered by his wing/tail unless you can physically fit something there.

At my table, if the AE don't physically use a space, they don't count. I'm not saying that's the only way to read the rules, but I think physical placement on the map is not what matters, not the bases-to-spaces count.
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean

From the SOTM rule book:

If there are more Army figures than spaces in the starting zone, then you can't use the extra figures.

From the AE Card:

_______

Both are very clear and neither make reference to the other. It doesn't say they AE exempt from start zone rules. It says they do not start on the battle field.

The rulebook is providing the governor to determine the maximum number of hexes your army can take up on the board. It makes no provision for whether or not those figures actually start on the board. It is saying that if you have more figures than spaces you cant use the figures. Whether they start on the board or not is irrelevant.
It is clear and unambiguous. Whether one chooses to play by the official rules is always an open question; but, in this case, there is no question what the rule is.
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Embraces the Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
It is clear and unambiguous. Whether one chooses to play by the official rules is always an open question; but, in this case, there is no question what the rule is.
Uh, yes. In fact, there is a question what the rule is. I'm questioning it. Nor am I the only one in this thread who questions it.

A page back, Cavalier and Jexik both reported that some tournaments go one way and some another on this issue. Is that what you call clear and unambiguous?
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:01 AM

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
Quote:
Uh, yes. In fact, there is a question what the rule is. I'm questioning it. Nor am I the only one in this thread who questions it.

A page back, Cavalier and Jexik both reported that some tournaments go one way and some another on this issue. Is that what you call clear and unambiguous?
Choosing to ignore or disagree with a clearly stated rule doesn't make it less clearly stated.
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Choosing to ignore or disagree with (or not knowing about) a clearly stated rule doesn't make it less clearly stated.

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:48 AM

You are right to correct my statement, LongHeroscaper. I did not take into account the possibility of simply "not knowing."
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean

From the SOTM rule book:

From the AE Card:

_______
Quote:
Quote:
Uh, yes. In fact, there is a question what the rule is.
And I am answering the question.

The bolded sentences in my post are word for word form the rule book and the card. The rules are indeed clear. The way some have chosen to selectively apply them is what has made the issue unclear. If one looks at only the rules and the card I do not see how one can draw the conclusion that the AE do not count against your starting hexes.

Players read the card and assume more than what it is saying. The biggest incorrect assumption is that the AE are exempt from being counted as figures at the beginning of the game. Their card definitely does not say that. The AE are not exempt from your figure to starting space count. They are only exempt from starting on the battlefield.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units