Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 10th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Battleship Galaxies

it isn't as good as Heroscape but it isn't bad either. It definatly has the similarities. I think some more things could have been done with where a ship is hit than just a critical that kills it completely and the card stock could be better, but the game is pretty good and the models are of great quality
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:22 AM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

I have to be honest - I really don't see much in the way of similarities, besides the fact that it's played on a hex map. The combat system is different, the turn structure is different, the energy system and tactics cards have no analogy in Heroscape, and without the order marker system it doesn't feel even remotely like Heroscape to me.
Old July 10th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

Okay, got my game. Couple of things:

1) This has been discussed on BBG, might as well bring it up here: I think this game should have had its own name. If it was going to be in big box stores, then yeah, go with the Battleship brand name, but they said upfront that it was an FLGS game, so it might do the opposite and detract people from even looking at it.

Case in point, I only got my copy because I pre-ordered it. Before that, they weren't planning to carry it. Worse, they couldn't find it in their system on any distributors. My FLGS was only able to order it because he called and asked them: they said they would get it but hadn't even bothered to update it into their site yet! Not enough hype being generated by the name.

2) The game is fun; definitely has a good feel to it and I like that you can change up your ships between experience levels and added systems or weapons and personnel. The screen is currently a modest help towards fog of war senses due to the current limited availability, but I could see it being a very cool thing after expansions flesh out new and existing factions.

3) I found that once you get into the thick of things, battles are going fast and energy is being spent considerably. In the beginning, though, its kinda slow going. You spend a lot of your starting 20-25 energy just deploying your battleship and a few cards: kinda takes a while for you to build up your fleet before you're comfortable sending them into the fray. In that sense it's almost like a CCG, with people waiting for their card hands and resources to be at optimum levels for an offense.

4) Personal gripe here, but I think the ranges are too low for a space combat game. I can understand point defense weapons and fighters being low range, that's obvious, but there are a lot of primary weapons on battleships with ranges of 4-5 where I think at least 6-8 for mid ranged weapons and larger for the long range weapons would be a more cinematic representation of ships duking it out on an interstellar front.

Our first play experiences were fine; my friend went through the most god awful luck though; I had to calm him down because he can get VERY angry at a game if it starts treating him badly. In this case he missed the Wretch Battleship 9 times. Six 1's and 3 8's. The most improbable case of **** rolls I've seen in a long time.

As others have said I think additional ship systems instead of just the critical could have added some spice. I think a little randomness to the weapon damage might have made it fun too, like maybe an opponent can make a point defense check or you compare it against an armor number or something, so that there is a random chance you do a little less than max strength in damage. Heroscape gained a lot, IMO, from the flexibility of the give and take relationship between skulls and shields. There was always an opportunity to block a high skull roll or whiff against a low one. Warmachine/Hordes has a similar one with hitting DEF vs. how much actual damage you do against Armor.
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Healdhj is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Thumbs up Re: Battleship Galaxies

Robotech Master- you found my one mistake so far! Somehow missed the 15 starting energy blurb

If it hasn't been pointed out yet there are a number of references to future sets.

Each card has a set or collection number.

The graphic novel has a Luciginian crew member (alien race) and a timeline is given given for an event - won't give the spoiler yet. But it seems to me that the timetable for the next sets has been laid out.

As for the game itself I am pretty happy. It is fairly quick paced once you understand the flow, and even my 8 year old pikes it up relatively well. I am concerned with the game boards though. One of mine seems to have been scored along a fold too much and is causing a deterioration of the seam. I'm sure any same sized hex mat will do though, and I happen to have a good sized mat to use as needed.

The only rule that seems like it should be optional, given the short weapon ranges, is the ECM rules. Not too much experience there but they seem to slow down the game. Thoughts?
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:34 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post

. . . 4) Personal gripe here, but I think the ranges are too low for a space combat game. I can understand point defense weapons and fighters being low range, that's obvious, but there are a lot of primary weapons on battleships with ranges of 4-5 where I think at least 6-8 for mid ranged weapons and larger for the long range weapons would be a more cinematic representation of ships duking it out on an interstellar front. . .
~lol~

That's been one of my Personal Gripes against HeroScape all along: being an old school war-gamer, I look for accuracy in weapons ranges and capabilities and estimating that an HS hex is supposed to represent a 2-meter diameter circle - the typical effective ranges on MOST of the character's stat cards is way out of proportion for the scale of the figures and the simulated battlefield distances. I suggest as a House Rule that ranges be at least DOUBLED (if not Quadrupled) and that shots taken within the range stated on the card receive extra dice for being in close (point-blank) range. Just my two cents... sorry for the diversion, now back to discussion of "Battleship Galaxies" already in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healdhj View Post

. . . As for the game itself I am pretty happy. It is fairly quick paced once you understand the flow, and even my 8 year old pikes it up relatively well. I am concerned with the game boards though. One of mine seems to have been scored along a fold too much and is causing a deterioration of the seam. I'm sure any same sized hex mat will do though, and I happen to have a good sized mat to use as needed. . .
I haven't even ordered mine yet - I've been waiting for more feedback for this community and some additional discretionary income to become available before deciding to make this purchase. Among my current local gaming group, the money would better spent on another Settlers of Catan or Carcassonne expansion, since "they" don't like war games and seldom play anything else. I'd hate to see another set of collectible miniatures collecting dust in my closet.

@ Healdhj - I had previously asked how the hexes on the "Battleship Galaxies" maps compare in size with the HeroScape tiles and Lexan Mats, but never got an answer. What "good sized mat" do you "happen to have" available "to use as needed" ...and how can we obtain one also?

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:44 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Drakkenstrike's Review

-insert signature here-
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:25 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

johngee, just like Heroscape is not a simulation, Battleship Galaxies isn't either. It is not that type of game and it doesn't aspire to be.

(though how do you simulate something that isn't known to exist?)

As far as your suggestion for an additional range house rule, the dice are just used to determine hit or miss; they do not determine the strength of the attack. Your suggestion for house rule would have to entail something like halving the strength of the listed attack value.

Oh and the hexes are significantly smaller; do you need an actual measurement?

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; July 11th, 2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:43 AM

Healdhj is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
@ Healdhj - I had previously asked how the hexes on the "Battleship Galaxies" maps compare in size with the HeroScape tiles and Lexan Mats, but never got an answer. What "good sized mat" do you "happen to have" available "to use as needed" ...and how can we obtain one also?
@Johngee - I have the Cheesex Battle Mat. See this Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Chessex-Role-P.../dp/B0015IQO2O
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

ROFL...yeah, historical accuracy in weapons of aliens, robots, and nightmare creatures versus cowboys, ninjas, and oh...wait for it....ELF WIZARDS?!?! Thanks, Johngee. You made my morning.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog

Last edited by SuperflyTNT; July 11th, 2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I might need to register for one of the Demos at Gencon. This game is looking cooler and cooler by the second.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

You should, Grom. It's a hell of a good time. So good, that I may end up buying a copy.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Pete, if you do not buy a copy of this game (your review copy was borrowed?), you will be physically ill when the first expansion comes out.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games