Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Savage 2/23/13 Post Tourney Thread

Tourney thread, with format, here. The idea is that in a multiplayer free for all environment, you have to rush out and kill as much stuff as you can, because at the end of the game the winner at the table is the guy who's done the most damage as calculated by partial card scoring. You get 4 points for winning at your board, 2 points for coming in second, and 1 point for coming in 3d at a 4 player map. No points for coming in last.

315 points, 18 hexes. I put question marks where, after looking at the tournament sheets, I can't recalculate the player's partial card scoring based on issues I'm having with the sheet.

1. Clancampbell 14/1369 (Marro Drones x6)
2. DadScaper 14/1136 (Laglor, Microcorp Agents x2)
3. OverEngineered 12/1270 (Phantom Knights x4, White Wyrmling)
4. Xanth 12/1098 (Atlaga, Jotun)
5. KidScaper 12/986 (10th Regiment x3, Crixus)
6. Gurei-Ornery 11/1090 (Capt. America, Marro Warriors, Kira Jax, Isamu)
7. Twinkie 11/1070 (Krav Maga Agents, Seninels of Jandar x1, Atlaga)
8. Legos of Bleakewoode 11/1055 (Eldgrim, 4th Mass. x4)
9. Hivelord #4 11/? (Major Q10, Deathreavers x2, Stingers x1, Sahuagin)
10. Fallow 9/1650 (Captain America, Marro Warriors, Deathreavers x1)
11. Akden 9/1022 (Stingers x3, Krug, Isamu)
12. Robber 9/952 (Stingers x3, Fen Hydra, Isamu)
13. Luc 9/917 (DeathChasers x3, Ogre Warhulk)
14. Bill 8/846 (James Murphy, Stingers x1, Zombies x3)
15. Davidtheterp 8/839 (Raelin RotV, Sentinels of Jandar x1, Stingers x2)
15. BassistOfDoom 8/839 (10th Regiment x3, Raelin RotV, Isamu)
17. Drewcula 8/787 (Sgt. Drake RotV, Ne Gok Sa, Marro Warriors)
18. Jbbnsmith 8/716 (Brave Arrow, Mohicans x3, Warriors of Ashra x1)
19. Kyle 8/701 (Aubriens x2, Arkmer, Warriors of Ashra x2, Sahuagin)
20. Nobody 6/857 (Cyprien, Sonya, Stingers x2)
21. Sean 6/718 (Grok Riders x1, Me Burq Sa, Major X17)
22. Stagusaw 6/682 (10th Regiment x3, Raelin, Otonashi)
23. Friend of KS #1 6/674 (Fen Hydra, Raelin RotV, Sgt. Drake RotV)
24. Riley 6/666 (GIE, 10th Regiment of Foot, Isamu, Syvarris)
25. Knight1231 5/742 (Syvarris, Deadeye Dan, 10th Reg. x1, Reavers x2)
26. Kevin 4/657 (Kaemon Awa, Tagawa Samurai Archers x2, Izumi Sam.)
27. 10th Reg. of Doom 4/606 (Marcus, Romans x2, Airborne Elite)
28. kldonnelly 3/632 (Goblin Cutters x3, Horned Skull Brutes x2)
29. Crichton 3/518 (Krug, Mimring, Arrow Gruts x1)
30. Connor 2/548 (Guilty, MBS, DKs x1, Dumutef, Khosumet, Anubians x1)
31. Sagrilarus 2/530 (Estivara, Otonoashi, Arkmer, WoA x1, Carr, Sahuagin)
32. Friget 2/499 (DED, Shotgun, Otonashi, Isamu, Murphy, Zetacron, Guilty)
33. IAM...HVK 1/414 (Grimnak, Blade Gruts x2, Minions of Utgar x1)
34. John ?/? (Captain America, 4th Mass. x1)

It was a crowded house!!!

Thanks to all for coming, special thanks to those who brought maps, special *special* thanks to kldonnelly for doing all the stuff I'm supposed to be doing, and thanks also to Xorlof for making the pro cards for the Mok prizes we gave away.

Lots of interesting things I want to comment on in here, and my own report will be forthcoming. Looking forward to reading other people's, too!

At 34 attendees, this is, I believe, the largest Heroscape tournament ever in Maryland, the largest single tournament we've had in the MARS area, and possibly (?) the largest ever east of the Mississippi not counting GenCon.*

Congrats, Clan! I may have to grow a beard, too!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; February 27th, 2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: *~ or New England.
Old February 25th, 2013, 03:29 PM

Crichton Woo who?
Re: Savage 2/23/13 Post Tourney Thread

4. Xanth 12/1098 (Atlaga, Jotun)

I really wished I could have seen Jotun in action- Congrats to Xanth I'm glad Jotun worked so well for you

DC Deck Building Heroes Unite is the NEW best deck building game!
Old February 25th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

On the first OM of the first round of the first game, Xanth's Atlaga successfully Bolted GO's Captain America. I think the final standings would have looked quite different, but for the roll of that one die.

Poor, poor GO.

= =
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I actually picked my 3rd or 4th army choice attempting to have fun this time, since I had a pretty good run in 2012 as the 4 gift certificates in my wallet and 2 trophies suggest, so I could give you guys a chance.

However, it was tough to have fun after that at first, but it actually allowed me to have the most fun I can remember in a tournament. The shackles of pressure were removed immediately and I was able to allow myself to do things I wouldn't normally. Also, I'm sure you haven't forgotten it made racking up almost 1000 points in my next 3 matches easier do to not having to play the unbeaten. I really blame you, because after all, as TD, everything bad that happens must be your fault. That was the second multi-player in a row that you put me on your map first round and I was singularly focused on your army. Big mistake.

Once again a big thanks to you for running another outstanding tournament. When's the next one.
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Probably May. You make an interesting point about pairings in this format. My intuition tells me it's better to completely reshuffle the pairings deck after every round, unlike in a standard 2 player format.

I'll think about it.

Glad you had fun, and glad you didn't win.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; February 25th, 2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: fixed smiley. :p
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
On the first OM of the first round of the first game, Xanth's Atlaga successfully Bolted GO's Captain America. I think the final standings would have looked quite different, but for the roll of that one die.

Poor, poor GO.
My hydra got bolted with 3 life left in Game 4 by Xanth. Though if you divide up the points killed by witherwood by the number of games (310 / 4) it comes out to about 78. Atlaga's 90 points so he'd have to kill another 12 points a game to make it average out. Not too hard to do, and Xanth likely did that.

Anyway I had a great time and I can't wait for the next tournament!
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Dumb Stingers and their range of 5! You know, with just one more range, I could have done something special. I could have been a contender!

Thanks again to D_S for running another great tournament. I have potentially another convert, as the other adult with me kept talking all the way home about how "next time" he wants to try out this army or that unit because he can see how they work together...

Hated to miss the game of Descent afterwards, but I couldn't figure out how to shoehorn my group of five into the game, so we ended up playing Zombicide with Xanth making six. It was fun, and I definitely found out at least one of my contingent that I will not be spending time with after the zombie apocalypse. Always useful to know.

We're looking forward to the next one. I have to drag myself back up in the ranks again.
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Probably May. You make an interesting point about pairings in this format. My intuition tells me it's better to completely reshuffle the pairings deck after every round, unlike in a standard 2 player format.

I'll think about it.

Glad you had fun, and glad you didn't win.
Me too, on both.

May is so far away. Clan isn't it about time for one of your creative formats?
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks again to Dad_Scaper for putting this on for us.

I did not expect to win this one. I thought, "I'll just bring all drones and have some fun with them" Turns out, they were fun. Winning the tournament, was just the cherry on top.

Xanth's army, I thought was a throw away. He did well though, very well. I'm sure all the points GO's Captian America gave Xanth really increased his standings.

I love the politics of the multi-player game. "His unit's are worth more than mine" was heard often from the tables I played at. (Because I said that, alot)

Yes one of my 'creative' formats. Maybe. I'll have to check my schedule.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:09 PM

Nobody knows what's in an order marker Nobody knows what's in an order marker

Thanks Dad_Scaper and everyone who attended for a fun first tournament! Gratz clancampbell; I wished I saw that army in action (from a distance of course! =) )

Wrote a quickie battle report for when I grow old and need to recall who killed my Cyprien in one turn:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?p=1771052#post1771052

I hope that suffices.

Also took a few pictures, but they admittedly aren't very good; I didn't clean my camera initially, and I was a bit self conscious taking too many photos when I was a first timer there. Mostly setup/starting out pics, since I forgot to take pictures once the action picked up.

Here are some of them!

Last edited by Nobody; February 25th, 2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Oops, Bad Link...
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Savage Multiplayer Madness FFA 2/23/13
Post Tournament Report

The format was 315 points, 18 hexes, multiplayer FFA with the partial card scoring system I've written about several times. Tournament thread is here. Post tournament thread here.

I do love this format, for which credit goes to Clancampbell, but now I think I may have run more of these than he has. I enjoy the social aspect and I enjoy how the format punishes those who would otherwise turtle: You only get points for stuff you kill. So haul your you-know-what out there and start killin'.

You get 4 points for winning your map, 2 for coming in second, and none for losing. If you're at a 4 player map you get 1 for coming in 3d.

I decided to go with the Microcorps Agents pumped by Laglor. At 315 points they fit neatly at 310, with two measly squads, worth a fat 33 points per Agent. But with a range of 9, on maps where I could secure quick height I could wreck many armies.

And the point isn't survival, the point is the wreckage...

Round 1:

From the 11:00 position:
Gurei Ornery - Capt. America, Marro Warriors, Kira Jax, Isamu
Xanth - Atlaga, Jotun
Stagusaw - 10th Regiment x3, Raelin, Otonashi
DS - Microcorps x2, Laglor

I was excited to play on this, my favorite 4 player map for this format. It did not disappoint, with play available in every direction.

One of the things about this format is you need to be aware of how much each unit is worth per wound. My squaddies were worth a fat 33 points each, but a person might choose to shoot Syvarris instead, because 2 wounds on Syvarris are 50 points, and you'll never get more than 33 off a single Microcorps.

So this game was a target-rich environment: Xanth's low-defense Jotun was worth a fine 31/wound, and G-O's Captain America was worth a stunning 44/wound.

I commented that Xanth's fortunate Round 1, OM 1 shot against GO's Cap affected the final outcome of the tournament, and I'm sure it did, but bringing superheroes to this format is like bringing a rabbit to the kennel.

Anyway.

Xanth blew up Captain America at the beginning of the game. Xanth and Stagusaw tangled with each other a bit while I took the high ground with my Microcorps and shot at anything that moved. I took almost all of Jotun and a couple hundred points of odds and ends from GO and Stagusaw.

1st of 4, 422 pts.

4/422

Rounds 2-4 tomorrow...

= =
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Appropriating from where Nobody posted it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Date: 2013, February 23
Event: Savage Maryland Multiplayer Madness

Army Parameters: 315 pts, 18 hexes

Nobody's Army:
(150) Cyprien Esenwein
(45) Sonya Esenwein
(60) Marro Stingers
(60) Marro Stingers

First tournament ever! Largely had no clue what I was doing, as you will see if you read on!

Victory Points: 10
Total Damage: 857

-------
Round 1!

-------
Placement: 2nd Place
Map: Jungle Rot

Opponents (counterclockwise order):
Sean

- Grok Riders
- Me-Burq-Sa
- Major X17

Legos of Bleakewoode
- 4x 4th Massachusetts
- Eldgrim

Hivelord #4
- Major Q10
- 2x Deathreavers
- Marro Stingers
- Sahuagin Raider

LoBleakwood whomped everyone with massed 4th massachusetts. Never played against so many. Kind of scary. X17 is scary in melee range, but fell to Massachusetts fire. Groks are somewhat nice, but were worth a lot of points when killed, so good targets. Major Q10 got in a few hits in with his special.

I let the other folks start duking it out, then snuck into Hivelord's starting zone with Cyprien and began picking off Raiders and rats. Quickly realizing that everyone was basically feeding LoBleakwood's 4th Massachusetts, I began hunting them down, but alas, not fast enough. LoBleakwood was very enthusiastic about calling targets and rolling dice, and seemed physically unable to sit still.

I got some okay shots in, nailed some folks from behind with Cyprien. Placed a solid 2nd

-------
Round 2!

-------
Placement: 2nd Place
Map: The Road to Nowhere

Friend of KS #1 (Ethan)

- Fen Hydra
- Raelin (RotV)
- Sgt. Drake Alexander (RotV)

Crichton
- Krug
- Mimring
- Arrow Gruts

Crichton
's arrow gruts synergized with the two other folks, so he placed all his order markers on them. I took out two of his gruts in the first round. Ethan was quite vocal in trying to persuade Crichton and I to go at each other, or to move within his range.

Mimring's fireline was problematic/scary, but the odd tree placement helped a LOT. Crichton rolled an impressive 4 skulls on fireline, roasting Sgt. Drake for a toasty 3 wounds.

For Round Two, Crichton placed all his markers on the gruts during the second round. I knocked out the last arrow grut instead of going for his larger folks, disabling him for the second round. Cyprien was taking chunks out of everything nearby. Went for the Fen Hydra, in a somewhat tactically unnecessary move. Got a bad roll on the chilling touch, so faced a slightly peeved full health Fen Hydra. I was holding fine, until the hydra's third attack, where I whiffed defense and Ethan got three wounds in. Cyprien died in one volley, essentially handing Ethan the win. Sonya death points went to him, sigh. At some point Krug remembered he was on the field and decided to inch forward. Placed 2nd.

-------
Round 3!

-------
Placement: 2nd Place. Unsettling trend!
Map: Fight in the Shade

Sagrilarus

- Estivara
- Otonashi
- Arkmer
- Warriors of Ashra
- Agent Carr
- Sahaguin Raider

Twinkie
- Krav Maga Agents
- Sentinels of Jandar
- Atlaga

Sagrilarus suffered from "not enough order marker"
syndrome and basically just fell over to Twinkie. Krav are scary/annoying. I was afraid Atlaga would Bolt of the Witherwood my Cyprien. I had considered bringing Atlaga just for that. Luckily, only got a 9 or something. Whew.

Map was ill-suited for me. Twinkie made some dubious shots, like "seeing" the very top of Agent Carr's ponytail over a battlement, or parts of what could possibly be a figure through the small gaps between a jungle bush. Luckily, Sagrilarus called him on some shots, asking him to look at it from where he was sitting (from behind the krav), and asking if he could take that shot in good conscience. He could not.

I managed to sneak in to his start zone and KO two sentinels after killing Atlaga (see photo!). Alas, it was not enough. Picking on poor Sagrilarus won Twinkie the round. Placed 2nd.

-------
Round 4!

-------
Placement: 1st Place. Finally!
Map: Fulcrum Flurries

<no photo! Oops!>

kldonnelly

- 3x Goblin Cutters
- 2x Horned Skull Brutes

IAM...HVK
- Grimnak
- 2x Blade Gruts
- Minions of Utgar

This map was very, very unfriendly to kldonnelly; no open spaces for her Goblin Cutters to surround. IAM...HVK's Minions are scary, but didn't do any damage.

IAM...HVK went for me with the Minions first. Cyprien chilling touched one, then managed to bag the other accidentally (3 attack to Minion's 6 defense). Popped over to IAM...HVK's Grimnak shortly after, and one shotted him with a lucky 18 + 2 (Sonya) Chilling Touch roll. IAM...HVK was pretty much out of the round, but he played on like a champ. Bravo! I felt kind of bad after that, so avoided hitting anything of his unless he aggravated me first.

After that, it was just bouncing around with Cyprien and picking off the rest. Two Horned Skull Brutes simply refused to die, despite Cyprien's 3 attempts to Chill one and attack the other.

The game was actually kind of close points wise between me and kldonnelly, since Cyprien is 25/wound, and all the figures I killed were mostly low points (Blade Gruts 10, Cutters 12). Placed 1st though. Finally!

---------
-------------------
Closing Remarks/Lessons Learned
----------------------------
- Massed 4th Mass is SCARY
- Do NOT place all your order markers on one three man squad with only 1 defense, no matter how awesomely they synergize with your other units.
- Shoot first, then again, then ask questions. Namely, who do I shoot now.
- Cyprien is gross against nonsoulborgs and fortress doors.
- Don't bring Sonya next time.

Thanks Dad_scaper and the other folks who organized this! And to Family Game Store!

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events