Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old August 9th, 2022, 06:22 PM

Gold1 knows what's in an order marker Gold1 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Late to the party, but thanks to IAmBatman's help I was able to get back in. After 10+ long years, it is so good to see Heroscape making a comeback! I am super excited for the future of the game and all the new figures and terrain we'll be getting.

I've painted a few minis before so I'm not super concerned about that. I may need to brush up on the paint skills (no pun intended). It would be interesting to see if the painted vs unpainted factor has any relevance in games such as camouflaging units for line of sight purposes but I think it's cool that everyone could add a personalized flair to their units so each game is unique.

Hoping Hammerhead guy is his own hero though he may be a part of a squad from the sound of it. I thought one of the people from the announcement trailer silhouettes looked like a pirate captain, but might be another monster hunter. I do hope for all the newness that they keep it as the battle of all time, so we'll still get our ancient warriors next to our Chainsaw-axe bearing dwarves. There were so many units that were referenced but never made it into production and they can still do so much more.

All in all I am in on this new Scape and I cannot wait for more news and speculation to come out!

Check out my fanfics.
Ceasefire
JointStoryThread
Old August 9th, 2022, 07:01 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nadeau AKA "Encarmine" on Discord
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 01 - "THE DAWNRAIDER SYNDICATE" A first look at our initial concept boards associated with one of Heroscape's new playable factions for the upcoming release of Age Of Annihilation. The DAWNRAIDER SYNDICATE represented an amazing opportunity to recognize some of our previous fan favorite species in the new product line, while also creating a platform to experiment with new creatures and unit types. Enjoy:

Our first real update from the Discord server!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; August 10th, 2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old August 9th, 2022, 07:05 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Our first real update from the Discord server!
I see an elf *and* a dwarf! And I think also a goblin. The goblin mounted on the back of the cthulhu-looking dude is interesting. A mok-inspired design perhaps? I bet the goblin is a permanent fixture though.

I love the idea that various occupants of Valhalla have adapted to technology and banded together in unusual ways in the intervening years.

--
--
--

--
Old August 9th, 2022, 08:14 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Could the new pic mean that the dwarf, the shark and the four armed insect are a squad? Maybe it's a new unique squad type where you can move and attack with each member and they all have the same stats, but each figure has their own special ability? Maybe that's overly complicated, but it could be an interesting idea.
Old August 9th, 2022, 09:16 PM
Has Roman Archers with a Combined Attack of 18. Seriously.

DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby!

I keep coming back to the sketch where it says "scarf color determines faction?". What if they're mercenaries and could work with whoever pays them more? So mercenaries would just be a factionless faction. Prolly a light grey/neutral colored unit card.

In war, indeed, there is no substitute for victory. ~General MacArthur

Great Traders: Nyys, generalgina, Porkins, Grand Moff Venom, Bogusoid, MikeLizzio, FEDEX WORKER
MY TRADE LIST
Old August 9th, 2022, 09:24 PM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak88 View Post
Could the new pic mean that the dwarf, the shark and the four armed insect are a squad? Maybe it's a new unique squad type where you can move and attack with each member and they all have the same stats, but each figure has their own special ability? Maybe that's overly complicated, but it could be an interesting idea.
That is an interesting thought, especially since they mention the faction gives them a platform to "experiment" with "new unit types".

Also, recognizing previous fan favorite species? Looking at the concepts, most look like they fall under the "new creatures" category. I am curious how much of this faction is still unrevealed.
Old August 9th, 2022, 09:43 PM

stumpy_man is surprisingly tart

Could be wrong, but I'd guess 7 out of the 10 models that were at Gencon were Dawn Raider syndicate then? The two others normal size ones seem to be druid/shaman type people, then maybe the dragon is with them in a 7v3 scenario?
Old August 9th, 2022, 09:51 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriadite View Post

That is an interesting thought, especially since they mention the faction gives them a platform to "experiment" with "new unit types".
Another idea I had, what if they have a unit type that could switch between heroes and squads? Like, those three figures could be a unique squad, or they could also be used individually as heroes. It'd be a way to create more units with the same amount of figures.
Old August 9th, 2022, 09:55 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
I’m laughing at how long it took you to figure out how to craft this response. I guess Geek Squad got you up and running again?👴🏻
18 years of hanging out, and our "relationship" has de-evolved to this point

Squabbling in public

Sad

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old August 9th, 2022, 11:49 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I'm going to need that goblin with a Gatlin gun mounted on a monster figure.
Old August 10th, 2022, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriadite View Post

Also, recognizing previous fan favorite species? Looking at the concepts, most look like they fall under the "new creatures" category. I am curious how much of this faction is still unrevealed.
There's definitely a dwarf and I kind of bet at least one of the other figures is an elf.

--
--
--

--
Old August 10th, 2022, 01:17 AM

Here are some more nuggets I dug out from the Discord channels. Encarmine is Chris Nadeau, the Creative Director for Avalon Hill. I think he is Craig's boss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encarmine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoq
wasn't it said there's going to be 30 figures and no commons?
No miniature count has been communicated, and those numbers are definitely wrong.
Quote:
Who said there was a master set? ... AoA is the epoch like SOTM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandros
it was stated earlier that packaging details haven't been finalized. have contents been finalized?
Contents are finalized
Quote:
We have multiple sculptors working on the project
Quote:
Craig provides what is called “sculpting inputs” which are the turns based on the final concept drawings.
Quote:
Concept sketches are generated, like the ones you saw today. We base those on a combination of the War Council’s unit rules, combined with Craig and my insane thoughts on visual language (provide general art direction on concept). It then goes through rounds with the concept artists (like Max Dunbar) to produce a visual story we want. Then it goes to another artist who does gesture drawing that have to function as a test for a viable sculpted pose (meaning it can be pulled correctly from a mold) then those two pieces go to an artist who produces the turns of the character. Those in turn go to the sculpting team that produces the STL files of the miniatures, that then get grown in our rapid prototyping lab, evaluated by Craig and I and approved to go to the factory for the creation of the tools.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaru
V pumped about Max Dunbar being a concept artist by the way, one of the very few concept artists I know of (he did some amazing work on devils for a Dungeons and Dragons campaign set in hell) and here he is, come up in another one of my favorite things!
Unless I’m completely mistaken, Max has done every model in the Dawn Raider Syndicate faction.
Quote:
There is a bit of a Marketing strategy behind how much is said each week, what is held back etc. be patient with us, the development team doesn’t get to decide the rules of engagement, but are asked to execute them. It will never be enough.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Swan Kenobi
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Swan Kenobi
is the dawn raider syndicate going to be a running faction like the marro and omnicrons were? aka over multiple forseeable expansions and such
Very much so. It was obvious we needed that level of depth if we were going to build a larger world. Without a layers between the Valkyrie and each planet and species, everything tends to feel disjointed and random.
You need some obvious buckets of organization in the material
super cool, and I agree. One of my big gripes with classic scape was the factions that never got fleshed out like the gorillas and the wild west types
Exactly. So much noise and nothing to really follow. You all are the exception, but ask outside this sphere of hardcore fans and historians and you will find a majority that fail to even understand most aspects of the story. It is very hard to follow, and full of contradictions. Took Ryder, Craig and I alot of time to unravel some of the tangle.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orus
With there being a more solidified storyline, are we to expect any executions of the story in other media? To connect the dots and fill in gaps? (I.E. Comics, books, short animated clips etc?)
I really enjoy making the Heroquest Lore Videos
(note he said Heroquest here, not Heroscape, but everything they've said so far indicates they'll do similar things with Heroscape that they did with HQ)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer2
Definitely looks like I am going to need to go re-read some lore. Is there an updated compendium floating around?
Well, Avalon Hill is literally working on an updated one
#facts
And some stuff from facebook:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facebook Person #1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facebook Person #1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facebook Person #1 (in response to someone else)
ooo I like the sound of that! A band of mercenaries fighting for themselves now instead of a general who brought them here. Very thematic!
ding. Well played.
Wait, is that what they are? Disgruntled warriors of other Generals that fight for themselves now?
in a world ravaged by destruction and chaos, a war that calls up on the entire galaxy to stand upon cataclysmic fields of battle, after countless campaigns, hundeds of thousands of casualties on both sides, do you honestly believe everyone is satisfied simply picking a side and carrying their war banners?

It is not called "Age of Annihilation" for nothing...
no, I suppose not. Oh man, this is definitely giving me ideas for a potential theme or two!
that's kind of the point. This is YOUR GAME Heroscapers. The galaxy is going back to war for you!

--
--
--

--

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion