Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old December 24th, 2014, 12:37 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!
Isamu Strategy Article

EDIT:I'd like to sincerely thank all of the posters who gave helpful advice, and who tried to offer their assistance concerning my strategy article. Feedback is appreciated. I pilfered the Classification scale from previous articles.

WARNING: This article does not have the "HeroScape Stamp of Approval". Enter and read at your own risk! Side effects may include nausea, dizziness, swelling of the eyes, throat, mouth, loss of hair, interesting discussion, and death.

So today I was browsing through the Unit Strategy Articles, and was unable to find a review on my all time favorite Hero Isamu. So I figured I’d try my hand at an article, and see if it gets off the ground. For the record, once again I’ll be sticking to Classic Scape/D&D only, and how they relate to other Units. I will not be mentioning C3V Units.

Abilities:

Vanish 9: Easily one of the most potent defensive abilities in the entire game of HeroScape, bar none. A huge tactical advantage. His ability to simply vanish from combat on a roll of 9 or higher gives him a 60% he will avoid taking any damage whatsoever.

Phantom Walk: Offensively, another tactical advantage. The ability to walk through enemy units without taking a Passing Swipe is golden.

Dishonorable Attack: Can be devastating under certain circumstances, if your opponent is packing Jandar units.

His primary use can vary tremendously, from being a Glyph grabber, to a distraction, to a master assassin that can eliminate a careless Squad figure, or finish off a wounded Hero. The possibilities are nearly endless.

Let's check out his offensive/defensive capabilities in more depth.

The Good News Is: Offensively, Isamu makes for a sneaky attacker. An attack of 3 is average, but once he jumps on Height, (which shouldn’t be difficult) it becomes a 4, which is enough to fell the majority of most squad members, or put a dent in most Heroes. If the Ninja’s victim happens to be an unlucky Jandar unit, his attack sky rockets to a 5…6 with Height advantage...!

This means that the cheapest unit in the game has the offensive capability to instantly assassinate practically any Jandar unit with a lucky attack roll. And for 10 measly points, this should not be over looked.

He has the capability to eliminate powerful Jandar affiliated Heroes, (or wounded Heroes, such as Braxas, Krug, etc…) or entire squads all by his lonesome. Moreover, he’s cheap enough that if he's eliminated, it's not such a big loss. Isamu can serve as a mid game snack for a friendly Cyprien Esenwein, a lone wolf, a Jedi Mind trick, or simply a Glyph grabber.

However, at the same time, when it comes time to place the Order Markers, you have to weigh the outcome. Is it worth activating the assassin, knowing that all it takes is one failed vanish attempt to eliminate him from play?

Defense is where Isamu really shines. If you’ll notice, his Vanish special activates whenever a skull is rolled against him. Unlike the Ninjas of the Northern Wind, Vanish activates against special attacks, as well as normal attacks, giving Isamu added protection against say Nilfheim’s Ice Shard Breath. (What’s that, Mr. Ice Dragon? Oh, you rolled 3 skulls? Oh, well look at that. I just rolled a 9 for the fifth time in a row. *Performs the Ninja Dance*)

An inexperienced opponent can get so frustrated with the little Red Ninja that Could, that he focus’s all of his attack power on killing the 10 point headache. This can work tactically in your favor. While your opponent wastes time trying to pin down the pesky ninja, you can start moving your other pieces into position. (The glyph that grants +1 to your D20 rolls always helps with this tactic, hint hint.)

I should point out, that while Isamu has the capability to turn the tide of the game, it is not recommended that you spend all your Order Markers on him. Remember, one unlucky roll, and it’s lights out. Do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars. You stole fizzy lifting drinks, you bumped into the ceiling which has to be washed, so you get NOTHING! Good, DAY sir!

EDIT:*For maximum efficiency, it is recommended that you activate him during either mid-to-end game. You don't want to put all your eggs into one basket, here. Isamu is a finesse unit, and he can be a double edge'd sword. While you are activating him, you could be wasting valuable time activating other, more powerful Heroes or squad members. If you become careless, Isamu could be your downfall. On the other hand, if you are facing a rookie player, it may be a good strategy to fling the ninja into the fray early in the game, as bait. This has worked a few times in my favor in past games. Use him tactically.*

Tips and Tricks:

Often times, Isamu is vastly underestimated. He's only 10 points. Why waste an attack on that dweeb, right?

This can work in your favor greatly at certain points of the game. There are however a large number of enemy units which you should actively avoid, if you wish to keep Isamu alive. Isamu’s best use is his ability to fit into almost any build as a filler unit. Most often, players tend to save Isamu until very late in the battle, which can be an effective strategy, depending on how many units the opposition still has in play. While this is an effective strategy, there are other ways to utilize Isamu effectively as well.

Isamu doesn’t always have to work solo. He can pair quite nicely with Ornak, for example. When Ornak activates his Red Flag of Fury Aura. This will enable Isamu to take a free turn, which can totally catch your opponent off guard if he is positioned correctly.

You: "Ok, so I'll be activating Cyprien first, with my Red Flag of Fury ability this turn."

Opponent: "Ok."

You: "...Now Isamu."

Opponent: "Ok. Wait, what...?"

Isamu can also benefit from an alliance (albeit an uneasy one) with the Sacred Band. His Disciplined personality gives them a much needed defense bonus.

Word of warning: Isamu is very vulnerable to Insta-kill abilities, like Grimnak’s Chomp, Braxas’s Acid Breath, Jotun’s Throw ability, Black Wyrmling, etc…These units should be actively avoided, unless they’ve been drastically wounded in action, in which case, Isamu may be able to finish them off.

It should also be stated that if the Lucky 20-sider glyph is on the battlefield, that can help out Isamu's Vanish trick, going from a 60% to a 65% chance of damage avoidance.

Here is a list of several enemy units that Isamu should actively target for a hit:

Deadeye Dan: It’s highly unlikely that he will roll the 19-20 that can insta-kill Isamu. While I would normally recommend that Isamu stay away from Insta-kill figures, Deadeye will be an exception. His 50% of rolling a skull is countered by Isamu’s 60% of Vanish. Worth the risk, especially considering the cost of the ninja. Dan’s defense of 2 will likely not last long against Isamu’s 3 or 4 attack value, depending on Height advantage.

Syvarris: The bane of many a warrior, Isamu can be a great way to dispatch the pointy eared elf for good. The trick of course is getting close enough to do it. A map with lots of Height, Trees, Rune’s, etc can work in your favor. Remember to position Isamu as best as possible, to avoid getting sniped. If the ninja can't get close enough to wack Legolas, at least he may be able to buy some time for your more valuable units.

Raelin (ROTV): Isamu is literally her worst nightmare. With a 5/6 attack, the assassin should have no trouble bringing the pain. She should be priority #1 in a battle. At best, he may be able to one-shot her, and at worst, maybe inflict a wound. A good trade off.

Krav Maga Agents: Even if you only manage to kill a single agent, then fail your Vanish roll, you will have managed to severely cripple a deadly squad. The Krav are significantly less scary when they are down sized to 2 units.

Any Jandar unit: Like the bolded states, Isamu is at his best when targeting any and all Jandar units. Period. Even if he only manages to eliminate a single squad figure, or plants a knife in Drake’s back, wounding him, he will have earned his keep. At 10 points, he can be an expendable Pawn, or an invaluable Queen.

The Not-so-Good-News-Is: (AKA Units that you should run away from):

Any and all Samurai: Their Counter Strike ability can easily fell the ninja, as he cannot use his Vanishing trick. It only works if he is attacked, and Counter Strike is not considered an attack. Unless absolutely necessary, stay away from Samurai Squads/Heroes.

Charos: Yeah…I think it’s pretty obvious why Isamu should avoid this monster…

Tor-Kul-Na: His Stomping ability is no joke. Watch out.

Sonlen: Again, his pet dragon's auto-wound ability (15 or higher) can insta-kill Isamu. Do not engage unless necessary, or unless he is severely wounded, and you are certain you can finish him off.

Non-Jandar affiliated Heroes at full health: It’s risky engaging an undamaged Hero like say Crixus or Braxas. Odds are you won’t come out on top. Jandar Heroes, on the other hand, knock yourself out.

Groups of Squad figures: A single Squad figure is usually no match for the assassin, but factor in 3-4 squad figures, and Isamu may be in for a rough time. There will be times when you have no choice, as Isamu may be your last figure standing, but during the times you do have a choice, try to avoid group combat. Don’t forget, if Isamu can’t end his vanishing act un-adjacent to an opposing figure, he CANNOT vanish, meaning it’s game over.

Major X-17 and Gladiatrons: Simply put, these units are Isamu's Kryptonite. Once engaged with the Soulborgs, Isamu can't pull his Disappearing Act, and he is quite literally, toast. Avoid at ALL costs.

Marrden Hounds: These hounds from hell are not to be underestimated, especially in groups. Unless Isamu would specifically have a Height advantage when attacking one that happens to get separated from the herd, avoid these squad figures like the plague. (Pun intended.)

Insta-Kill figures: Cyprien Esenwein, Kee-Mo-Shi, Retchets of Bogdan, Arkmer, Ice Elementals, Sudema, Moegrimm, Frost Giant, and Deathwalker 7000 (the one who goes BOOM!) are all units to actively avoid if possible. Do not engage unless they are heavily wounded, as previously stated, or it's a one-on-one confrontation. In short, if a unit has the ability to dish out an auto-wound, avoid it.

To Sum up: All in all, Isamu is one of the best figures in the game, simply because of the fact of his point cost. He is a razor blade wrapped in toilet paper, so to speak. Although he's fragile, he's also extremely lethal, and can be used as cannon fodder, or as a deadly assassin that makes your opponent’s eyebrows go up when you reveal him on your force. His best use is nearly always as an end game hail mary, but certain situations may arise where it may be a good idea to active the Asset. Use him carelessly, and he will most likely fall. Use him wisely, however, and the Scarlet Assassin may be the asset that turns the tide of the battle in your favor.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."

Last edited by Aldin; December 31st, 2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Deleted items stolen from USR prototype.
Old December 24th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Isamu Strategy Article

If you want to start a strategy article, you PM a member to get it drafted in the Private Forum, where we will discuss the possibilities of using it. Starting a new thread acting as a new one is a no-no, as laid out in the stickied thread for the USR.
Old December 24th, 2014, 12:44 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Curious

@Owlman , I don't know if you are aware but if you want to turn this into a strategy article it is recommended you follow these guidelines. I'm sure your enthusiasm is appreciated but they would prefer you not to use this format outside of an official strategy article.

Quote:
If you would like to write a strategy guide like this one and join our writing circle, please contact us here. We ask that you don't use this format without permission to preserve the high quality of the strategy guides and avoid confusion. Thanks!
~Dysole, informationally
Old December 24th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
If you want to start a strategy article, you PM a member to get it drafted in the Private Forum, where we will discuss the possibilities of using it. Starting a new thread acting as a new one is a no-no, as laid out in the stickied thread for the USR.
So noted. My apologies, I thought that was specifically for submitting in that particular thread. (Although I do feel it should not be necessary to submit a strategy article to a club of members for it to get approved, personally. HeroScape is a (dead) game, and should not be taken so seriously, IMO.)

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old December 24th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Quote:
So noted. My apologies, I thought that was specifically for submitting in that particular thread. (Although I do feel it should not be necessary to submit a strategy article to a club of members for it to get approved, personally. HeroScape is a (dead) game, and should not be taken so seriously, IMO.)
USR has been around before Heroscape was discontinued. It is not a dead game either. Also it helps ensure that the articles are actually useful and beneficial to the community.

As it stands right now, your article needs a lot of work to be useful. Some of the advice is not complete and actually detrimental to using Isamu correctly in most instances.
Old December 24th, 2014, 01:27 PM

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Strategery

There is no issue with writing a strategy article on whatever unit you choose. It's the usage of the format that the USR utilizes that is more of a concern. The USR has asked that this format only be used for sanctioned Unit Strategy Reviews. That is all.

~Dysole, who notes that sure you can continue in this vein but it is disrespectful at best to the USR and those who have put in time and effort into submitting their articles to them
Old December 24th, 2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Quote:
USR has been around before Heroscape was discontinued. It is not a dead game either. Also it helps ensure that the articles are actually useful and beneficial to the community.

As it stands right now, your article needs a lot of work to be useful. Some of the advice is not complete and actually detrimental to using Isamu correctly in most instances.
As I recall, the game died in 2012. While the community may be alive (somewhat) the game is indeed officially dead.

My article may not be perfect, but I have yet to see an "official" article on here where I agree with every point and claim made. And my article is actually VERY useful, so we'll just have to agree to disagree here. One can always write a little more, and this goes for any article on here.

Care to point out where you disagree with the article? I can always edit it.

Old December 24th, 2014, 02:00 PM

Re: Strategery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
There is no issue with writing a strategy article on whatever unit you choose. It's the usage of the format that the USR utilizes that is more of a concern. The USR has asked that this format only be used for sanctioned Unit Strategy Reviews. That is all.

~Dysole, who notes that sure you can continue in this vein but it is disrespectful at best to the USR and those who have put in time and effort into submitting their articles to them
Whose to say that the "official" articles are correct? I've seen Cyprien, so called a Rook class, obliterate entire armies by himself. I'd personally consider him a Queen class piece, hands down. Whose to say I'm not wrong? I can go on and on here, regarding other pieces.

I mean no disrespect to the writers, the majority of them I feel are spot on, but I would ask that everyone not take my (or other) articles so seriously, as these articles are merely creative speculation and opinion, for the most part. Fluff, if you will.

If anything, I would hope they serve the primary purpose to entertain.

Now to stay on topic, what was your opinion on the article? Agree? Disagree?

(Also, don't "official" article reviews have some sort of exclusive badge associated with them? Therefore, one needn't worry, my article does not have one, so It's easy to tell the difference.)

Old December 24th, 2014, 02:11 PM

Few Quick Pointers

Do I agree with everything in them? No. But it's like C3V or SoV or C3G or BoV or OHS or WoS or many of the other unofficial groups. They have created a certain standard and thumbing your nose at that standard is basically disrespecting all the work and effort they have put into that. Whether or not you stick the badge on there you're still utilizing their format.

On to the article.

Well, here's some things I noticed.

1. Isamu is listed as having a range of 6. I will assume this is a typo.

2. Isamu's class is listed as variable. He is almost certainly a pawn unit. I've killed the Hulk with Vipers and that still makes them a pawn unit. Units are given their class based upon their average firepower and staying ability and overall usefulness in the game not in how much damage they can potentially do.

3. You recommend using Isamu every couple of rounds. This feels like an ineffective strategy as you are basically ceding board control to your opponent which in the long run will hurt you. Isamu may kill a figure but there's a decent chance he does nothing.

4. You fail to mention TKN or Sonlen as a unit who can destroy Isamu.

5. Honestly 8 times out of 11 if you utilize Isamu with Ornak I'm going to be perfectly fine with it. There are a lot scarier units you could red flag with. Sure he has synergy but Marcu is a lot more useful since Ornak gets around the Eternal Hatred.

6. I understand if you don't want to utilize DND units, however they are considered Hasbro canon property and as such, the article will always be technically incomplete without them.

That's all I've really got for now. Isamu is one of those units who is often very boom or bust. 5% of the games he will win for you by himself. The rest he either dies quickly or never does anything.

~Dysole, with really about all he has to say on this front

Last edited by Dysole; December 5th, 2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old December 24th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Psssst, Owlman, this would've been suitable in his Book, because that's a pretty dead thread too.

Good efforts, either way. I've never had that kind of luck with Isamu, but I do know how to beat him.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old December 24th, 2014, 02:48 PM

Re: Few Quick Pointers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
Do I agree with everything in them? No. But it's like C3V or SoV or C3G or BoV or OHS or WoS or many of the other unofficial groups. They have created a certain standard and thumbing your nose at that standard is basically disrespecting all the work and effort they have put into that. Whether or not you stick the badge on there you're still utilizing their format.

If by standard, un-copyrighted opinions, then yes, I'm inclined to agree. The only thing I'm truly copying is the Chess classifications, which seems to be everyone's favorite classification. I've improvised on the vast majority of the article, however. So again, kudos to the original writers. I'm borrowing their classification scale. Hope they don't mind.

On to the article.

Well, here's some things I noticed.

1. Isamu is listed as having a range of 6. I will assume this is a typo.

Correct, I'll fix that.

2. Isamu's class is listed as variable. He is almost certainly a pawn unit. I've killed the Hulk with Vipers and that still makes them a pawn unit. Units are given their class based upon their average firepower and staying ability and overall usefulness in the game not in how much damage they can potentially do.

I listed how he could be generally classified as Pawn class unit, but yeah, I'd still consider him to be variable. He can earn his keep like a Queen class unit, or be eliminated like a Pawn. And I agree, Isamu does have a ton of staying power. And in certain cases he packs a TON of firepower in a 10 point package. As long as you roll 9 or higher, he can last forever. (Other than Sonlen who I did forget to mention, and a small handful of other insta-kill figures.) If it makes you happy, I can edit that.

3. You recommend using Isamu every couple of rounds. This feels like an ineffective strategy as you are basically ceding board control to your opponent which in the long run will hurt you. Isamu may kill a figure but there's a decent chance he does nothing.

Yes, but I also said it's better he's used mid-to late game, as well. I.e. use him, but use him cautiously. You're right, in most cases it's not wise to use him. There are some instances where he can, and should be, utilized however.

4. You fail to mention TKN or Sonlen as a unit who can destroy Isamu.

Correct, I will edit that.

5. Honestly 8 times out of 11 if you utilize Isamu with Ornak I'm going to be perfectly fine with it. There are a lot scarier units you could red flag with. Sure he has synergy but Marcu is a lot more useful since Ornak gets around the Eternal Hatred.

What if your Raelin happens to be within striking distance of Isamu? You ok with it then?

6. I understand if you don't want to utilize DND units, however they are considered Hasbro canon property and as such, the article will always be technically incomplete without them.

I'm just honestly not familiar with them. This is one point where I will agree my article may lack. Doesn't make it a bad article though, over all.

That's all I've really got for now. Isamu is one of those units who is often very boom or bust. 5% of the games he will for you by himself. The rest he either dies quickly or never does anything.

Yup, couldn't agree more.

~Dysole, with really about all he has to say on this front
Responses in bold.

Old December 24th, 2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Psssst, Owlman, this would've been suitable in his Book, because that's a pretty dead thread too.

Good efforts, either way. I've never had that kind of luck with Isamu, but I do know how to beat him.
It may have, but I wanted more posters to see my admiration for the little ninja.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles