Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old August 16th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Phloid_and_D-Man has disabled reputation
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition

Wizards of the Coast is set to announce the release of 4th Edition of the world's number one roleplaying game at Gen Con today. This comes as quite a suprise as WotC has denied the end of D&D 3.5 many times over the last few months. Some players are excited and many are dismayed. There is lots of speculation as to the new system requireing the use of D&D minis and the new digital, pay per month offerings from the WotC Gleemax web site. Only time will tell whether this is good for one of the best and most influential fantasy games to ever grace a table.

Links:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome
http://www.enworld.org/
http://forums.gleemax.com/leaving.ph...m/news/519193/
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
People were ticked when they went from 3.0. to 3.5, there will be riots if this actually goes through this soon after the switchover.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
I will be interested in seeing the new 4th edition. I wonder how much different then the 3rd edition it will be.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:11 AM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
I hear that they're going to center the new version around a war between 5 God-like Eternal Nihilistic Etheral Revenants of the Altered Lineage.

I also hear that there is an exciting development in 3-dimensional dungeon creating using interlocking components.

Another thing I understand is that initiative rolls are going to be replaced with a Numerical Turn Command system.

Okay, that's enough.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:13 AM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius
People were ticked when they went from 3.0. to 3.5, there will be riots if this actually goes through this soon after the switchover.
Put me on the "ticked" list. I am a bit tired of buying new books. I have actually drifted away from D&D quite a bit.

I am thinking about getting a Shadowrun group going again. I have yet to check out the new rules though. They are wayyy different. I have heard good and bad about them.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Dryden has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler
I will be interested in seeing the new 4th edition. I wonder how much different then the 3rd edition it will be.
I'm guessing the most significant difference will be an increase of about $10.00 per book.

Hey, maybe they finally have an "official" rule dealing with misses and scattering for grenade and missile type weapons that makes sense? It's only been, what? 40 years?

Naaaaaaaaah.
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I got your favorite member right here

Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker
Shadowrun? Holy frag, chummer, did some slag really mention Shadowrun? If its anywhere near where I am, count me in. The new edition rules are much more "street level" than the 2nd edition, where your runner could be a bad mutha fragger right out of the gate, but they also streamlined the decking rules to make a decker fit into a run a bit better. Not to thrilled about what they did storyline wise, though.

Heh. I still have all the Shadowrun "clix" game figures, equipment, and bases too. Darn shame that such a good rules system was screwed by the size of the figures themselves. Ah well.

You are the brute squad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh finally
And go Flock yourself.
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Grim knows what's in an order marker Grim knows what's in an order marker Grim knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
I hear that they're going to center the new version around a war between 5 God-like Eternal Nihilistic Etheral Revenants of the Altered Lineage.

I also hear that there is an exciting development in 3-dimensional dungeon creating using interlocking components.

Another thing I understand is that initiative rolls are going to be replaced with a Numerical Turn Command system.

Don't forget the biggest news of all: goodbye d20, hello dSKULL and dSHIELD (TM).
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Ted has disabled reputation
Well after dumping quite a bit of money into 3rd and 3.5 I am not interested in pumping into a new system especially if they are still putting books out for 3.5.

I have a hard time actually believing this.
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:24 PM

StealthSuitStanley has disabled reputation
I've been away from D&D and all WotC products for a while. They've really turned a game venture into a business venture. Great business ideas...terrible customer support. In fact, all the lemmings out there are what's keeping them in business with D&D.

I've also heard that they are going to try to revoke the Open Gaming Liscense with the 4th edition. Wouldn't surprise me.

I've moved on to Castles and Crusades. It's a very realistic (for role playing anyway) system that makes lots of sense and is very easy to learn, play and run. 15 minutes to learn, 15 minutes to make a character, and you're playing! Be sure to read the Why Play Castles and Crusades article.

later
SSS

01 out of 10 people don't understand binary.
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
C&C is a nice system.
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Erasmas Woo who?
I've been playing D&D off and on in some facet or another since I was 14 (about 14 years). I cut my teeth on first edition (still play about once a month), fell in love with the game with second edition (in college), and made my own system in third (still play once a week). We run a house-rules based system that is what we affectionately refer to as 3.25.
If (or rather when) fourth edition comes out... I'll treat it exactly the same way as I treated most of the 3.5 stuff. If it looks like it could add something interesting and useful to our game, I may pick it up. If not, it can stay on the bookstore shelf with all the other bounds of useless bunk that WotC chews out between the good stuff.

Erasmas' Wonderful World of Customs!
God save the 4th!!!

Xbox Live Account:
o Erasmas o

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games