Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

View Poll Results: Which map do you want to play on?
Klomar's Training Ground VII 4 36.36%
Highways and Dieways 3 27.27%
Soulrazor Canyon 3 27.27%
Feylund Fountain 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 22nd, 2007, 11:13 PM

Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby!
Hey, count me in. I am just over an hour away and already am well acquainted with how to get there.

One question though, what are Swiss rounds?

And when I heard 440 points, I immediately thought of an army that included Q9, Raelin, and Deathreavers.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus
One question though, what are Swiss rounds?
There's a sticky at the top of this section that details the tournament system we'll be using pretty well.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM

Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker
Swiss randomly assigns your first opponent. Then it takes the top ranked player from the previous round and matches them with the second best player. Continue assigning opponents down the line until the lowest two players are matched together. It is a great way to do tournaments to ensure that people get matched up against players of similar ability - which makes the tournament more fun. It generally works well for finding the "best" player (tournament champion), but has some drawbacks on finding 2nd and 3rd place. There are a minimum number of rounds that you need to play for it to be accurate (based on the number of players present).

I have a question about the maps. I'm having a little trouble envisioning how big they are and how big a 440 point army is. Were the maps listed designed for 500 point armies? I just don't want them to get too crowded (if they were designed for 300 points or something). If we end up with lots of people, maybe we should go with 300 points and shorter matches to get in more games. I'm just brainstorming here, so that might not be a great idea.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker
Hey guys, I might be bringing some friends with me.

My buddy Ryan says he'd like to come as a spectator definitely but is kinda undecided at the moment whether or not he'll want to participate.

I have a couple other friends who I normally play heroscape with but I haven't had the opportunity to ask them yet, I'll keep you posted however whenever I get a set number for my passengers

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:53 PM

igrillem has disabled reputation
Hi guys! I'm really new to Heroscape. I've only been playing a few week but I love the game. I definitely want to be there. Its only a few miles from my house. I don't know if I'm good enough to compete yet as I'm not familiar with all the units. I have mastersets 1 and 2 so I could bring them if needed. I am also looking for some people in my area to game with. I'm really looking forward to going.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby!
"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Buddy Lee

"Out of all the ridiculous religion stories...the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah, there's this big, giant universe...and we're all just here, just 'cuz. Just 'cuz." - Trey Parker
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:35 PM

Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lee
That's exactly what I was thinking. Based on responses, it looks like we are at about 15 on a conservative estimate.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:15 PM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker
You can add one more person to the "for sure" list Necroblade, my friend Ryan asked off work and is going to be riding over with me.

Now all I have to do is help him build, as he put it "a half decent army"

I still have to ask Joey however, I dont know what his school schedule is like but I'm guessing the total for my group will be either 3 or 4 (most likely just 3)
Myself, Ryan, and Joey (and just for clarification, we're all in college)

I hope this isn't going to be too many people

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:58 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
More info on the "Bigger Boat" at 11*.

*In the next few days.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Okay, here's my feedback on the other maps:

The more I look at maps, the more I like the set from the "Battlefields of Valhalla." There were some good ones in here, but I felt like even the best ones needed a little tweaking to get right.

Maps I like from best to worst:
Feylund Fountain - I like this one a lot. My only concern is that each army might take a high point at opposite ends of the map. If that doesn't happen, it's a great map.

First Strike - I like this one for tournament. I wouldn't mind seeing a tree or two added in the middle of the map though.

River of Lost Souls - I really like this one, but it is a bit plain. I'd like to see a bridge or crossing point added to each side of the map so that the river isn't as big of a divide. A few trees in the middle might be nice too.

Soulrazor Canyon - This one looks usable and fairly even in starting points. I'm assuming we're not doing the scenario, just "kill 'em all?" The starting zones are a little oddly shaped.

Maps I don't like for whatever reason (sort of in order, but not really):
Ambush - I've played one almost exactly like this and the bridge pinch-point being raised above the rest of the map gave certain army designs too much of an advantage. I vote no on this one, but at least it looks like the terrain is even for both players.

Into the Breach - I'm not a fan of this one for tournament, but it looks interesting otherwise.

The Meat Grinder - This one doesn't look bad, but I'm having a hard time really getting a feel for it from the picture. We'd have to use the starting zones from "The Gawds Must be Crazy." I like "Soulrazor Canyon" better.

The Spring at Thades - I think the "First Strike" map is better and does almost the same thing as this one.

Eruption at Durgeth Keep - This one severly limits movement and there don't seem to be enough ways to maneuver around unless you're running a flying army. I vote no on this one.

Unranked:
Nerak's Passage - I couldn't figure out how this one is set up. The numbers on the top level confused me. It looks like it might be a lot like "Into the Breech," but I really can't figure it out.

PS - If I come (which I am planning on unless something unexpected comes up), I should be able to bring enough terrain to build one of the maps that requires a Master Set and a RttFF.
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
Quote:
More info on the "Bigger Boat" at 11*.
Do we have any students from UCF getting involved in this? As a student at UF, I could book some pretty large rooms in the union for free. I can't remember if I had to be a part of a club to do it, but if that's a requirement you could make it a "Game Day" event for whatever club your in. Just invite the club to come along and play. Parking on the weekend shouldn't be a problem either.
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby!
I have been doing a little brainstorming about armies and such...

I can see why you might want to disallow wave 7 and SoTM units but including them provides more alternatives to Q9\Raelin\4th Mass\etc. It would be an advantage to play with figures no one else has played against but at the same time it is a disadvantage to play with figures you are not as experienced with. At any rate, not having experience with wave 7 or SoTM is no different than not having experience with any other wave. Also, if you allow wave 7 and SoTM it gives me an excuse to go buy them.

I have always found it annoying to keep track heavy snow movement rules. Heavy snow and slippery ice benefit figures that are ranged or flying. It seems that ranged and flying figures already have a big enough advantage. On the other hand it makes the Dzu-Teh stronger although I don't know if anyone is considering playing them.

Finally, how are the glyphs going to be handled? Will it random glyphs each game and if so what glyphs will be used? Army builds might depend greatly on what glyphs there are to expected.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events