Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old October 6th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Creating High Quality Cards - Fonts Revisited

Back in 2007, @GreyOwl scanned some cards and twiddled with options to try to determine what were the correct font settings for cards. I haven't found any updates around here to those specificatons--perhaps there are, but thought it would be good to do an independent investigation using the higher quality Wave 9 images Hasbro released in 2009, instead of scans. Why? It should result in more accurate results, and using the best specs you can find will result in much better (and more authentic) looking cards. It's kind of a big deal. Really.

Lots of notes are in spoilers because I can't help myself. Feel free to skip any of them. They're mostly unnecessary detail. Follow these specs and your cards will look better than using selecting fonts, weights, and sizes that are just somewhat close (e.g., Arial Narrow and such). Exact placement matters too but I haven't documented that here.
Spoiler Alert!

Unlike the cards GreyOwl examined, I found no evidence of fonts being stretched for W9. Some areas did have the letter spacing expanded or condensed, which some call kerning. In those cases, in the specs below, + means expand and - means contract.

Wave 9 Text Specifications
I think all waves after W9 appear to use these same specs, but haven't examined them in detail. Sizes and spacings accurate to about 1/200th of an inch.

Figure name
Helvetica Neue Heavy Condensed (87). 10.25pt. White (#FFFFFF). All caps. For multi-line names, line spacing is 1.03 (?). One card in W9 had too long of a name (Axegrinders) and the size was dropped to 9.6pt.

Faction/General Name
Helvetica Neue Medium Condensed (67). 7.0pt. #FFFFFF. All caps.

Left Box (Species, Class, Personality, Unique/Common, Hero/Squad)
Helvetica Neue Bold Condensed (77). 7.0pt. #FFFFFF. All caps. Letter spacing is typically natural, but is condensed as needed to fit the text. "COMMON SQUAD" for example, uses about a -0.18pt spacing.

Size and Height
Helvetica Neue Bold Condensed (77). 10.0pt. #FFFFFF. All caps.
Spoiler Alert!

Move, Range, Attack, Defense - the labels ( <-- those words )
Helvetica Neue Bold (75). 10.0pt. #D5D8D7. Letter spacing +1.0pt. All caps.
Spoiler Alert!

Move, Range, Attack, Defense - the values (numbers)
Helvetica Neue Bold (75). 12.0pt. #D5D8D7.

Move, Range, Attack, Defense - labels below the numbers
Helvetica Neue Medium Condensed (67). 6pt. #D5D8D7. Letter spacing +0.1pt. All caps.

Points Value
Helvetica Neue Bold (75). 12.0pt. #FFFFFF, except on Jandar which is #121212.
Spoiler Alert!

Points Label (the word "points")
Helvetica Neue Medium Condensed (67). 6.0pt. All caps. #FFFFFF, except on Jandar which is #121212.

Life Value
Helvetica Neue Bold (75). 12.0pt. #FFFFFF

Life Label (the word "life")
Helvetica Neue Bold Condensed (77). 7.0pt. #D5D8D7. All caps. Letter spacing +0.1pt.

Special Ability Name
Helvetica Neue Bold Condensed (77). 8.0pt. #121212. All caps. Letter spacing -0.08pt. line spacing 1.1.

Font size and even line spacing are decreased as needed to make special ability text fit. The smallest in W9 is the repulsors with a size of 6.25pt (and less than 1.05 spacing).

Special Ability Text
Helvetica Neue Condensed (57). Font size is always 0.70pt smaller than the Special Ability Name size used on the card, so 7.3pt down to 5.55pt for Wave 9. #121212. Letter-spacing nominally +0.18pt, but sometimes reduced as low as +0.15pt to fit more text on card. Line spacing is somewhat irregular, between 1.15 and 1.17 (can change from ability-to-ability on the same card), which I think is just an unnoticed error in their templates. Line spacing is also not consistently adjusted correctly when the font size is reduced to fit more text, sometimes leading to large values (e.g., numbers as high 1.4).

Spoiler Alert!

I haven't finished with my investigation the Basic side. I've got the fonts, weights, colors, and sizes figured out. I just have to double-check letter-spacing values.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old October 6th, 2016, 02:16 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Creating High Quality Cards - Fonts Revisited

Very similar to what we use in C3G. Same Font just different sizes. I know we use 47 Light Condensed for main body text instead of 57
77 Bold Condensed as opposed to 75 for the Move, Range...numbers

77 is the largest style number we use.

It could just be for simplicity as we only use three styles (47C, 67C, 77Bold)

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old October 6th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Yep, Helvetica Neue is found in marketing materials, throughout the rulebooks, basically all over HS stuff. If there was what could be called an official font for HS, this is it, in its varied weights and styles.

C3V also uses 47 for ability text, at least in recent years. I *think* the shift to it may have ocurred because of a rendering bug in the Adobe suite where 57 was rendered too heavy. At least I remember seeing some chatter along those lines. The original C3V templates do specify the (correct) #57 regular weight.

The above findings are laying the groundwork for a web based card maker app I am making (X-2 Customs Cards Maker), which at first will only do the text for you in the "correct" way, with pixel perfect accuracy (which the Hasbro templates didn't achieve, BTW, being a couple of pixels off here and there from their obvious intentions). You'll still have to do the miniature image and hitzones separately, but I hope for it to be a start towards making high quality cards easy for everyone to make, at least on the Valhalla side. (High quality in presentation, that is; you still have to design, redesign, and playtest to make sure the CONTENTS are high quality ).

Once working, I'm very open to adding non-Hasbro-Valhalla-style templates if there is interest. The goal is for this to be easier than MSE, with no software to download. Just click a link and use.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old October 6th, 2016, 09:12 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
Yep, Helvetica Neue is found in marketing materials, throughout the rulebooks, basically all over HS stuff. If there was what could be called an official font for HS, this is it, in its varied weights and styles.

C3V also uses 47 for ability text, at least in recent years. I *think* the shift to it may have ocurred because of a rendering bug in the Adobe suite where 57 was rendered too heavy. At least I remember seeing some chatter along those lines. The original C3V templates do specify the (correct) #57 regular weight.

The above findings are laying the groundwork for a web based card maker app I am making (X-2 Customs Cards Maker), which at first will only do the text for you in the "correct" way, with pixel perfect accuracy (which the Hasbro templates didn't achieve, BTW, being a couple of pixels off here and there from their obvious intentions). You'll still have to do the miniature image and hitzones separately, but I hope for it to be a start towards making high quality cards easy for everyone to make, at least on the Valhalla side. (High quality in presentation, that is; you still have to design, redesign, and playtest to make sure the CONTENTS are high quality ).

Once working, I'm very open to adding non-Hasbro-Valhalla-style templates if there is interest. The goal is for this to be easier than MSE, with no software to download. Just click a link and use.
That's a very cool idea. and very ambitious. Good luck and I will be watching.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old October 13th, 2016, 10:38 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am happy with Arial (PC, not willing to pay or pirate for Helvetica). I use GIMP with decent results. But . . . show me the way with an easy template, and I would be very interested.
Old October 13th, 2016, 10:49 PM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I am happy with Arial (PC, not willing to pay or pirate for Helvetica). I use GIMP with decent results. But . . . show me the way with an easy template, and I would be very interested.
Wow...you can pirate anything these days I guess. Never thought that fonts were pirated.

Old October 14th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Super Smurfy

Quote:
But . . . show me the way with an easy template, and I would be very interested.
That's the plan (an easy to use system). Version 1 will let you handle all of the text correctly with pixel perfect accuracy, spitting out a background and front layer that you can insert your miniature graphic between using another program (so still keep Gimp handy). I'm guessing it'll release around Thanksgiving. Historically, my timelines tend to slip, but I'm hoping to actually be early in this case.

If all goes well, the plan would be for version 2 to provide the ability to load miniature graphics right into the webapp and do the basic edits needed to hopefully satisfy the majority of use cases. I haven't sketched out this part yet so don't know when that might be available.

Regarding the correct font (Helvetica Neue), fonts.com offers it a good-enough free tier for this purpose. With it, I can provide 25,000 loads of the web app per month, legally using Helvetica Neue, at no cost.

Spoiler Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Never thought that fonts were pirated.
Yes, font files are copyrighted, falling broadly speaking as a computer program. Typefaces (the shapes of the characters as opposed to the digital files representing them) generally are not protected by copyright law, so you could create your own font that mimics the typeface (and plenty of people do put out copycat fonts). But no need to worry about any of that here--the real deal is available essentially for free.

Old October 14th, 2016, 03:14 PM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
Quote:
But . . . show me the way with an easy template, and I would be very interested.
That's the plan (an easy to use system). Version 1 will let you handle all of the text correctly with pixel perfect accuracy, spitting out a background and front layer that you can insert your miniature graphic between using another program (so still keep Gimp handy). I'm guessing it'll release around Thanksgiving. Historically, my timelines tend to slip, but I'm hoping to actually be early in this case.

If all goes well, the plan would be for version 2 to provide the ability to load miniature graphics right into the webapp and do the basic edits needed to hopefully satisfy the majority of use cases. I haven't sketched out this part yet so don't know when that might be available.

Regarding the correct font (Helvetica Neue), fonts.com offers it a good-enough free tier for this purpose. With it, I can provide 25,000 loads of the web app per month, legally using Helvetica Neue, at no cost.

Spoiler Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Never thought that fonts were pirated.
Yes, font files are copyrighted, falling broadly speaking as a computer program. Typefaces (the shapes of the characters as opposed to the digital files representing them) generally are not protected by copyright law, so you could create your own font that mimics the typeface (and plenty of people do put out copycat fonts). But no need to worry about any of that here--the real deal is available essentially for free.
Yeah, I knew they were copyrighted so by today's logic I guess I should have known that someone out there was going to pirate it.

Sounds like a great tool for custom makers X-2.

Old October 20th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Super Smurfy

I've done more investigations of card text over time. Some observations:

The layout of the Card Name/General Name hasn't been consistent over time.
Spoiler Alert!

There are some minor variations in when the off white (#d5d8d7) color is used.
Spoiler Alert!

There have been font size differences (beyond the ad-hoc shrinking/compressing of fonts done on a per card basis to the special text and card names if those items wouldn't otherwise fit the available space).
Spoiler Alert!

And finally, work begins on using the hi-res Skahen PDF as a basis to create new, high quality card templates, hopefully besting Mooseman's excellent ones that have gotten us so far for so long. (I'm not sure if mine will end up any better or not). Those in the know, know what the image below means for that effort. It's not 100% accurate, but was done with care and is quite close:

I'm going to try it out and see if it needs tweaks. Feel free to use it your own card recoloring projects. (I've never done recoloring before so I'm winging it. If anyone has favorite techniques, I'd love to hear them).

(And yes, the weird bumps around the top-left part of the miniature photo area, and bottom special power text area are in the the original Skahen card.)

Last edited by Xorlof; October 26th, 2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: deleted edit comment
Old October 25th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Super Smurfy

If you want to have an early peek at the card creator I mentioned above, look in this thread.

Old October 26th, 2016, 03:24 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I love what you're doing here.

btw... What happened to the mask image? It's not working.
Spoiler Alert!
Old October 26th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Super Smurfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
What happened to the mask image? It's not working.
Ooops. Sorry I caused that wasted hour mentioned in your spoiler. I moved the location of the mask image (fixed in the post above). It's a pretty good image to use for your purpose since it is small in file size (quick to download), but large and colorful to easily be seen.

It probably will move one more time at some point before it lands in its final home. But not for a while.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards