Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Old May 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM

wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Project Pokemon Design Thread: Pidgey and Pikachu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlerjones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSwipe View Post
No, actually, Sonya Esenwein has 4:

Life Drain
Eternal Strength
Eternal Heartbreak
Flying
This is an issue I'm seeing here. Just because Pikachu can have four abilities doesn't mean it should. It's a pretty basic pokemon, after all. Yes I know it's technically a stage 2, but still. I'm not sure we need Double Team or Climb x3 at all.

As far as Quick Attack goes, I like it as the +2 move and disengage. That still gives him the capacity to outrun most melee units without becoming overpowered. I'm a little concerned that Pikachu's power level is slowly creeping upwards.
IMO, Pikachu needs Climb. Even if his Size changed to 3, there will be many maps that will trap Pikachu. To me, that doesn't fit the character. It reduces his mobility too much. He's definitely more spry than Charmander.

If we delete Double Team, Pikachu's base defense will have to go up (see Charmander). Double Team allows for Pikachu to have a lower defense if he gets cornered, but makes him harder to hit at range - it's not that he's tougher at range, just quick and hard to hit. I'd have to test him out, but it could be that his base can go to 2 and it would become Double Team 2, instead.
I think base defense at 2 and DT at 2 is a mistake. Leave the base as is and drop DT to 2. That way he maintains good defensive value from ranged.
IMHO, as long as what the figure is supposed to get fits on the card, does not go crazy with the abilities trying to give the card everything, and, most impostantly, is thematic, there is no reason a designer cannot have 4 abilities for a card. It's up to the creator to make the final call on that and I think Mac's Pikachu is going in the right direction.
I agree with keeping Climb, but let me go on record here about Climb in general. [rant] I strongly feel like we should be very careful when assigning it in the future. Several of you wanted Charmander to have it, but I left it off on purpose. Although I wasn't happy about altering his size to 3, I'd rather he was taller than he is supposed to be than have been given an ability he simply does not need.
[/rant]
Finally, since Pikachu has been to playtest once already, as soon as you get him 'finalized' again, go ahead and post him back to the Playtest thread. We can do two playtests at once.
That's all for now. Back to class.
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Adjusted Double Team
Quote:
Pikachu v2.5c
Life: 4
Move: 6
Range: 1
Attack: 2
Defense: 3

Agility(?)
This Pikachu may move 3 additional spaces and attack once at any time before, during or after its move. This Pikachu is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Thundershock Special Attack
(Electric) Range 5. Attack 3.
When this Pikachu attacks with Thundershock Special Attack, it may attack one additional time. This Pikachu may target the same or different figure with each attack.

Double Team 2
When this Pikachu rolls defense dice against an attacking figure who is not adjacent, add 2 defense dice to this Pikachu.

Climb X3
When moving up or down levels of terrain, this Pikachu may triple its Height.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:31 PM

Carakki knows what's in an order marker Carakki knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Pikachu v2.5b
Life: 4
Move: 6
Range: 1
Attack: 2
Defense: 3

Agility(?)
This Pikachu may move 3 additional spaces and attack once at any time before, during or after its move. This Pikachu is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Thundershock Special Attack
(Electric) Range 5. Attack 3.
When this Pikachu attacks with Thundershock Special Attack, it may attack one additional time. This Pikachu may target the same or different figure with each attack.

Double Team 3
When this Pikachu rolls defense dice against an attacking figure who is not adjacent, add 3 defense dice to this Pikachu.

Climb X3
When moving up or down levels of terrain, this Pikachu may triple its Height.
Just to clarify, Pikachu can still attack with Thundershock while using Agility, but it can only be done once? Or is Thundershock negated entirely because it allows two attacks?

Upon further reflection, disallowing Thundershock may be the way to go. It would prevent the infinite run-and-gun someone mentioned earlier and still keep in the high-speed spirit of the move. We could even change its name back to Quick Attack (as a special ability instead of an attack, though). Something like this...

Quote:
QUICK ATTACK
Instead of moving normally, this Pikachu may move 3 additional spaces and attack once normally at any time before, during or after its move. This Pikachu is never attacked when leaving an engagement while using Quick Attack.
Thoughts?
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM

fiddlerjones is surprisingly tart

I'm torn between dropping Pikachu's defense to 2 (with DT at 2) or leaving it at its base (with DT at 2). Only playtesting will tell.

I really do like Pikachu in the role of harrying ranged attacker and support a Quick Attack that will complement his Thundershock properly (most like the +2 move and disengage variety). I think he's going in the right direction, however, we need to make sure he doesn't get stronger than about 100 points, IMO.

[counter-rant]
As far as climb goes, I agree with Wulf that we need to assign it judiciously. However, I don't know why we're so stuck on this idea that the pokemon's size in feet needs to be its Heroscape size. There are very few units in HS smaller than 3 or larger than 8, while there are many pokemon outside of that range. Most small pokemon, like the starters and Pikachu, should be Size 3. I can understand making a very few pokemon smaller, like Rattata (with Climb) or Pidgey (with flight), but that should be the exception, not the rule. Likewise, Onix is not going to be Huge 28. Huge 8 or Huge 9 is probably sufficient. We don't need to feel confined by the Pokedex entry sizes from the game when sizing pokemon in Heroscape.[/counter-rant]

FiddlerJones Customs
"I ended up with forty acres;
I ended up with a broken fiddle --
And a broken laugh, and a thousand memories
And not a single regret."
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm still not a fan of having the option of a double attack or a run-and-gun. But with the change to Double Team, Pikachu is looking more like a 90-100 point unit (though he still looks a little more powerful than he should be to me).

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlerjones View Post
I'm torn between dropping Pikachu's defense to 2 (with DT at 2) or leaving it at its base (with DT at 2). Only playtesting will tell.

I really do like Pikachu in the role of harrying ranged attacker and support a Quick Attack that will complement his Thundershock properly (most like the +2 move and disengage variety). I think he's going in the right direction, however, we need to make sure he doesn't get stronger than about 100 points, IMO.

[counter-rant]
As far as climb goes, I agree with Wulf that we need to assign it judiciously. However, I don't know why we're so stuck on this idea that the pokemon's size in feet needs to be its Heroscape size. There are very few units in HS smaller than 3 or larger than 8, while there are many pokemon outside of that range. Most small pokemon, like the starters and Pikachu, should be Size 3. I can understand making a very few pokemon smaller, like Rattata (with Climb) or Pidgey (with flight), but that should be the exception, not the rule. Likewise, Onix is not going to be Huge 28. Huge 8 or Huge 9 is probably sufficient. We don't need to feel confined by the Pokedex entry sizes from the game when sizing pokemon in Heroscape.[/counter-rant]
I agree that Pikachu should probably end up right around 90-100 points. This would let Raichu be in the 140-160 range and eventually Pichu in the 40-60 range.

I agree, we don't have to be confined by the pokedex entry for Pokemon size, we do need to make adjustments for HS. However, we don't have to be confined by the other figures in HS, either. Yeah, Onix doesn't need to be a 28, but he certainly could be 12-14 and not be ridiculous.
For Pikachu's size, I'd go along with Size 3 if that's the consensus, but then he still needs Climb X2 to be maneuverable.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
For Pikachu's size, I'd go along with Size 3 if that's the consensus, but then he still needs Climb X2 to be maneuverable.
That's fine with me. I honestly don't see the big deal with giving small figures a climb bonus. Yeah, it may seem *slightly* unthematic, but at the same time this is Pokemon meets Heroscape, and those climbing rules would really screw Pikachu over without Climb X2.
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM

NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:
That's fine with me. I honestly don't see the big deal with giving small figures a climb bonus. Yeah, it may seem *slightly* unthematic, but at the same time this is Pokemon meets Heroscape, and those climbing rules would really screw Pikachu over without Climb X2.
I agree, it definitely needs Climb x2, and I think that the base defense should remain constant at 3 while the DT is reduced to 2.

If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?
America is the only place in the world where a pizza delivery guy gets to your house faster than an ambulance.
--NightSwipe--
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Adjusted Double Team
Pikachu v2.5c

Agility(?)
The way Agility is written, it seems like Agility (with a single attack) just replaces the move. But Pikachu can then attack normally afterwards. (Because in Heroscape you move and then attack. Agility just increases your move and lets you move during it.)

I know that's not what was intended. Maybe a little wordsmithing to say that Agility replaces a normal move and attack.
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:55 PM
My Mask Fell Off...

minimoose38 is surprisingly tart

Ugh, speaking of unthematic abilities for small figures to prevent movement issues, think how hard it will be to justify Climb for a thing like Goldeen or Magikarp. For Pikachu though, Climb does make sense. He does ride around on Ash's shoulder/head pretty much all the time.
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Adjusted Double Team
Pikachu v2.5c

Agility(?)
TInstead of moving and attacking normally, this Pikachu may move 3 additional spaces up to 9 spaces and attack once at any time before, during or after its move. This Pikachu is never attacked when leaving an engagement.
The way Agility is written, it seems like Agility (with a single attack) just replaces the move. But Pikachu can then attack normally afterwards. (Because in Heroscape you move and then attack. Agility just increases your move and lets you move during it.)

I know that's not what was intended. Maybe a little wordsmithing to say that Agility replaces a normal move and attack.
Done.

Edit: Actually, that seems a bit wonkey witout a set move value.

Double done

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:05 PM

"This Pikachu may move 3 additional spaces and may split its move before, during, or after its attack this turn. This Pikachu is never attacked when leaving an engagement."
I think this addresses the extra attack concern, but I believe now it would allow for Pikachu to attack twice with Thundershock.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum