Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old November 26th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings: Complete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diabolo View Post
If there is a tournament where cheese is banned I would suggest calling it the Lactose Intolerant Classic.
Old November 26th, 2014, 04:55 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Yeah, it's great that Delta allowed you to take the often-forgotten 4th Mass to a tournament.
That, good sir, was done to test whether Delta pricing had made the 4th Mass expensive enough. I know you know that.

The results, even at their inflated price, showed that the answer was clearly no.
Old November 26th, 2014, 06:15 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Yeah, it's great that Delta allowed you to take the often-forgotten 4th Mass to a tournament.
That, good sir, was done to test whether Delta pricing had made the 4th Mass expensive enough. I know you know that.

The results, even at their inflated price, showed that the answer was clearly no.
I think it was pretty close to the right price for the 4th - at most only a little underpriced. They were also helped by being priced just right for the point total of the event (100/squad in a 500 point event = no filler or wasted points).

As you know, I was drooling over the prospect of facing your 4th x5 with my cutters x5 + Q9.
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Is it possible that these rankings can be changed at all?

Blade Gruts should be moved up, they are vastly superior to Arrow Gruts and only slightly inferior to Heavy Gruts. They should be an A-.
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:02 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Is it possible that these rankings can be changed at all?

Blade Gruts should be moved up, they are vastly superior to Arrow Gruts and only slightly inferior to Heavy Gruts. They should be an A-.
I dunno; blades die very fast and with the shift to smaller armies (16 figure limit) cheap bonders like the Romans and Blades take a hit in value because you can't field 4-5 sets of them.

Obviously, it is a matter of opinion. I love the blade gruts but I don't see them as A list. To me, they are on par with Romans so I could see a bump to B+.

The bottom line is the blades do not have the skins that the other A list common squads do which is what will keep them in the B category.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

I think the one thing people completely underestimate is the power of an additional hero. A lot of people use Grimnak and Nerak, with Tornak if they have room. I used to do this. But Ornak is so superior to Tornak for the last choice. I got several kills that I otherwise wouldn't have if I didn't use Ornak. Orc Battle Aura or whatever it is is just so strong. When boosted by Grimnak and Nerak, they hit the 4 defense mark. And unlike Heavies, they can reliably close the gap against the 4th. And 3 attack dice that each hit 66% is huge. Red Flag of Fury is useful once in a while, especially early on to position both Grimnak and Nerak, or to grab a glyph or pull of other crazy tricks with Marcu.

Consider the build that I used in the Main Event that went 6-0 over the two days: 3x Blades, Grimnak, Nerak, Ornak, Marcu, drop 10 points. I beat Deathchasers, Stingers/ Raelin, Mezzos (good matchup), Braxas/ PKs (another good matchup), and Nagrubs/ Cyprien (another good matchup). The Blade Gruts have no tough matchups in the B+ range and only one in the A- range in Fire Elementals. And in the A and A+ range, they only have two, Glad/Blast and Q9 (Q9 is the only reason why Heavies remain superior to Blades). This, to me, makes the Blade Gruts look like A- material. Are they much harder to use? Absolutely, maximizing each figure takes a lot of work, and you need to realize that you should never chuck figures around even if they are only 10 points. However, if I need to win a tournament with them at next GenCon to get them up to at least an A-, consider it done. Cuz you already know I will.
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
The Blade Gruts have no tough matchups in the B+ range and only one in the A- range in Fire Elementals.
Steamroller (CapGlads w/Sparty and Crixus or Retarius). If they knock out Grimnak early this gets tough for the Blades to win.

GSWs with Charos. Charos is a nightmare for Blade Gruts.

Nagrubs with TKN. Squish, squish, squish.

Legos. Similar stats with less reliance on their heroes.

Warforged Soldiers supported by range. Use range to kill Grimnak and his Chomp then ride that sweet auto-shield to victory.

Zombies. Seriously. Not a good matchup for Blade Gruts at all.

ABF with Mogrimm.

Minions or Sentinels if they take Grimnak down quickly (especially Minions for that reason)

So... yeah. I think they're actually about right.

~Aldin, not saying that any of these matchups is impossible for Blade Gruts - simply that he'd expect to be at a competitive advantage

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Blade Gruts aren't bad, per se. Heck, they're only one attack/defend die below Heavies at nearly half the price. They're just not that good, per se. Besides, it is one of the laws of the universe that the Roman Legionaries must be at least one grade above the Blade Gruts. If we change it the universe will collapse in on itself. We must maintain balance.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 18th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
The Blade Gruts have no tough matchups in the B+ range and only one in the A- range in Fire Elementals.
Steamroller (CapGlads w/Sparty and Crixus or Retarius). If they knock out Grimnak early this gets tough for the Blades to win. 70-30

GSWs with Charos. Charos is a nightmare for Blade Gruts. 65-35

Nagrubs with TKN. Squish, squish, squish. 75-25

Legos. Similar stats with less reliance on their heroes. 70-30

Warforged Soldiers supported by range. Use range to kill Grimnak and his Chomp then ride that sweet auto-shield to victory. 55-45

Zombies. Seriously. Not a good matchup for Blade Gruts at all. 65-35

ABF with Mogrimm. 70-30

Minions or Sentinels if they take Grimnak down quickly (especially Minions for that reason) 70-30

So... yeah. I think they're actually about right.

~Aldin, not saying that any of these matchups is impossible for Blade Gruts - simply that he'd expect to be at a competitive advantage
If I'm the one using Blade Gruts, these are the matchup numbers. Period. Some of these may be a little closer, but I doubt it.
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Blade Gruts aren't bad, per se. Heck, they're only one attack/defend die below Heavies at nearly half the price. They're just not that good, per se. Besides, it is one of the laws of the universe that the Roman Legionaries must be at least one grade above the Blade Gruts. If we change it the universe will collapse in on itself. We must maintain balance.

~TAF
They're actually really good. Tell me, do you go to GenCon? I don't remember ever meeting you. And if I did, mind you telling me in a PM who you are?

This is seriously not sarcasm, you're from Ohio so I think there's a good chance I've met you there before, idk though. Are you part of the Colombus crew?
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Blade Gruts are good. Very good, actually. A- material? No, not quite. It's their support that is the ultimate factor. Unlike the Capuans, there aren't any super obvious army builds for them (this certainly applies to the Heavies as well). Of course Grimnak is a main piece, but who do you take after that? Orcs boost each other, but have considerable weaknesses versus bruisers (Jotun, obliterates them by the bushel). Do you take accept the weakness and play blueskins or do you put Ornak in there for some Big Bad Hero fun?

I wanna play Orcs...

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Blade Gruts are good. Very good, actually. A- material? No, not quite. It's their support that is the ultimate factor. Unlike the Capuans, there aren't any super obvious army builds for them (this certainly applies to the Heavies as well). Of course Grimnak is a main piece, but who do you take after that? Orcs boost each other, but have considerable weaknesses versus bruisers (Jotun, obliterates them by the bushel). Do you take accept the weakness and play blueskins or do you put Ornak in there for some Big Bad Hero fun?

I wanna play Orcs...
At 410 points, I would suggest the one I took to the main event. As long as they have 390 points (Marcu isn't necessary) then they do fine.

The best things to do if you have more points:
10- Isamu
20- Marcu
30- Isamu and Marcu
40- 1x Blades
50- MBS
60- MBS and Isamu
70- MBS and Marcu
80- Raelin
90- MBS and 1x Blades
100- Raelin and Marcu

Does this help?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion