Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 20th, 2008, 11:50 AM

JANDAR88 has disabled reputation
Re: Future Cavalry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite-M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majai of Dreams View Post
I would like to see a squad of cavalry that has the carry ability like Theracus or Brunak.

If 3 mounts becomes too powerful, perhaps make them a pair. I have been eagerly waiting for another 2 unit squad.
Here's a novel way of accomplishing a similar effect: you make Jotun's two brothers (can't remember their names) a unique squad of two. You give them each a slightly better version of his throw power, but not make them powerhouses like their big brother. Then, they could just hang back and throw smaller units into battle. They're essentially acting like mounts, but it's a new and different way of implementing the strategy.

Interesting idea, but i would be sorta afraid of damageing my own people.

BLACKMOON'S SIEGE
Heroscape Wave 9 / Coming in July of 2009
(Everyone do this)
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

It would be kind of fun to play if a new giant with an improved thowing ability came with a squad of goblins who had bombs strapped to their chest. The bombs would blow up when the goblins died. Then the giant could throw them into combat and if they died from the throw, they blew up and could damage whoever they landed next too. If they lived they would be in a position to attack. (Attacking Samuris and using the counter strike to blow themselves up would be fun too.) Make the goblins a 4 figure unique squad so the Giant would only be able to throw 4 of them over the course of the game. Plus if someone killed them while they were standing next to the Giant he would get hit by the explosion so it would be a risk/reward type of figure combo.
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I really like that idea. Grut bombs is so metal. [/Nathan Explosion voice]
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The damage potential is an issue, but I've found that on the occasions when I've wanted to use Jotun in this manner, it's never really been a problem to find a hex even one level higher to negate any damage.

Conversely, you could give them a "gentle lob" or something like that. A loving giant toss. That sort of thing.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite-M View Post
The damage potential is an issue, but I've found that on the occasions when I've wanted to use Jotun in this manner, it's never really been a problem to find a hex even one level higher to negate any damage.

Conversely, you could give them a "gentle lob" or something like that. A loving giant toss. That sort of thing.

And with his loving toss, he can give them a kiss!

BLACKMOON'S SIEGE
(Everyone do this)
Old December 20th, 2008, 08:10 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

There are two problems I see with motorcycles:
1) They just don't seem 'Scape-ish enough to me.
2) How do you drive a motorcycle up straight inclines, like curbs? I mean, if you look at the terrain, it isn't exactly sloping up, but more stair-like. So it would be near impossible to drive a motorcycle over this...let alone the water and sand.
Old December 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscape Elffy View Post
2) How do you drive a motorcycle up straight inclines, like curbs? I mean, if you look at the terrain, it isn't exactly sloping up, but more stair-like. So it would be near impossible to drive a motorcycle over this...let alone the water and sand.
I agree, they really don't have the scape feel at all, and I really wouldn't consider them being cavalry either. But, I would like to see them make Ghost Rider for Marvelscape (with his motorcycle).
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:52 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I think a nice way out of both those conundrums is making Soulborgs riding hoverbikes. Now, I would also like a squad (or hero) of human bikers, but the other option might be better for folks who are wary of motorcycles. Another solution; simply give them a limitation ability to the effect of "Hell's Angels may not move up more than one level of terrain at a time." You could also give them a move bonus if they went their entire move on road or grass without going up. Or...dirtbikes. Post-apocalyptic bikers who've modified their rides to tackle tough terrain.

I guess my main point is that I want motorcycle units really badly.
Old December 20th, 2008, 11:17 PM

StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
They'd just speed up so fast they're front tires lifted off the ground(like in Indiana Jones) and then go up the curb.
Realistically, battlefields don't have stair-like elevation(except for maybe road). So, realistically, motorcycles could get around easily.

Contend, O Lord, against those who contend against me;
Fight against those who fight against me. Psalm 35:1
Old December 21st, 2008, 12:06 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

My vote for the next Cavalry Squad.

-insert signature here-
Old December 21st, 2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
I think a nice way out of both those conundrums is making Soulborgs riding hoverbikes. Now, I would also like a squad (or hero) of human bikers, but the other option might be better for folks who are wary of motorcycles. Another solution; simply give them a limitation ability to the effect of "Hell's Angels may not move up more than one level of terrain at a time." You could also give them a move bonus if they went their entire move on road or grass without going up. Or...dirtbikes. Post-apocalyptic bikers who've modified their rides to tackle tough terrain.

I guess my main point is that I want motorcycle units really badly.
I like the hoverbike idea.

BLACKMOON'S SIEGE
(Everyone do this)
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:56 AM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Solutions mentioned above work-- here's another: smart wheels. Make the motorcyclists for Vydar, put them on Akira-style superbikes, and (if you really want to get down to the nitty gritty details), put on the smart wheels that Neal Stephenson invented for his (awesome) novel "Snow Crash." Quote from the novel:

Quote:
Smartwheels use sonar, laser range finding and millimeter wave radar to identify mufflers and other debris. Each one consists of a hub with many tiny spokes. Each spoke telescopes into five sections. On the end is a squat foot, rubber tread on the bottom, swiveling on a ball joint. As the wheel rolls, the feet plant themselves one at a time, almost glomming into one continuous tire. If you surf over a bump, the spokes contract to roll over it. If you surf over a pothole, the rubber prongs probe its asphalt depths. Either way, the shock is thereby absorbed, no thuds, smacks, vibrations, or clunks will make their way into the plank or the Converse hightops with which you tread it.
Here's a link to a similar technology that already exists.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion