Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old May 10th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Re: Competitive Unit Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLivingston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Quote:
Unit: Jotun
Proposal: Add to non-viable units list.
Please NO.

IMO, "fixing" Juton is not needed.

If CUC has addressed all of the marginal units such that Juton is now on the list, then it is time to call it a day and put your feet up; your work here is done.

Juton needs fixing about like Cyprien needs fixing.
Agreed. I think Jotun is beyond the scope of the CUC's original intent. The CUC was designed for units that are clearly non-competitive. While Jotun might be a little underpowered in some respects, I wouldn't consider him "non-viable".
Well I have played against Jotun in a tournament exactly once.

It was a draft tournament.

I am positive my opponent would never draft Jotun again.

I remember someone bringing Jotun to a local tournament one other time. He lost horribly all day and then sold his entire collection for $50 after the event.*

I have brought Cyprien to a tournament and seen others bring him many times. I don't think Cyprien and Jotun are a fair comparison at all.

I thought the point was to make the units into things people would pick to bring to a competitive tournament.

If folks think Jotun is a viable pick in a competitive tournament, they'll vote against this proposal, and it will fail.

But adding Jotun is what I am proposing.
Gen Con Unique Hero 2009
Jotun - 225
WSG - 360
Krug - 480
Marcu - 500

5-0 (1st place)
wins against miminoose38, Retlaw, Mr. Migraine, Mecha's kid, Bunjee

Gen Con 2010 Heroes Only
Jotun - 225
Krug - 345
Shurrak - 505
Marcu - 525
Chain fighter - 550

5-0 (1st place)
wins against Brownsfan, dok, Lord Trask, Wookie, Arcus

Overall tournament record with Jotun = 10-0. By far my best with any single unit.

~Matthias who is just adding fuel to the fire

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:09 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Jotun is non-viable in touneys except 500+ point hero only ones. He either needs a lot less cost, multiple attacks more than adjacent, or some kind of bonding. and any one of those changes seems wrong to me. The only thing I can think of is make wild swing have range of two like hydra reach.
Jotun shines (A to A+) in heroes only events, is sub-par (C to B-) in anything else. I am fine with either not changing him and so he will be used as is, or CUCing him better at squadscpae, but it would be hard pressed to make a change that both doesn't break theme OR make him even more powerful in heroes only tourneys.
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:20 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Jotun is bad against squads.

Q9, Raelin, Sir Gilbert, Grimnak, Kaemon Awa, Fen Hydras, etc. are not squads.

His only problem is that the Hydra and Krug probably do his job almost as well for nearly half the cost, but I think he can have a place especially as the points go over 500.

I'd like to see a tournament where Saylind summons him on OM#3 adjacent to Q9 or something. Also, don't forget how strong he can be against bonding heroes on a lava map.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:50 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Well I have played against Jotun in a tournament exactly once.

It was a draft tournament.

I am positive my opponent would never draft Jotun again.

I remember someone bringing Jotun to a local tournament one other time. He lost horribly all day and then sold his entire collection for $50 after the event.*

I have brought Cyprien to a tournament and seen others bring him many times. I don't think Cyprien and Jotun are a fair comparison at all.

I thought the point was to make the units into things people would pick to bring to a competitive tournament.

If folks think Jotun is a viable pick in a competitive tournament, they'll vote against this proposal, and it will fail.

But adding Jotun is what I am proposing.
You mad bro?

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; May 10th, 2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: "I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you are no Jack Kennedy."
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:22 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

As has been said, other than the rare Hero only type events, Jotun is not very viable. I would suspect that Morsbane has more Tournament wins than Jotun in a regular format.

There is almost no reason to use Jotun over Hydra + 100 Points or Krug + 100 Points. Yeah Jotun can provide a Special Attack but the Hydra or Krug user can use those extra 100 points towards either a Special Attacker or ranged support.

Jotun with an auto shield vs squads would be interesting. With an auto shield + 4 Defense he might actually have a chance to last for a bit before dying yet wouldn't make him stronger in all Hero if anyone is concerned about that.
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I love Jotun, and he is fantastic in heroes-only. But I don't think he's very viable in the 'typical' tournament format. (I don't think typical means best. I think Heroscape is most fun when you vary the ways that you play.) If CUC is mostly worried about the typical tournament format, I'd agree he needs some tweaks to be viable.

I might suggest something like:

When attacked by small or medium common squads, Jotun may roll any defense dice that are not shields one additional time.

That would leave him unchanged in the heroes-only situations, but have a bit more survivability against the power squads.

--

In any case, I find these CUC discussions to be fun things to think about. Certainly not anything worth being upset over. Just some good people talking about a great game.

Last edited by fomox; May 10th, 2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Unlike people who disagree on whether mayo or miracle whip is better. That's totally worth being upset over.
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Acolarh
Proposal: Increase Defense to 3. Change LEAF OF THE HOME TREE AURA to be "...you may roll 12 Ullar Valkyrie Dice..."
I'm a huge Acolarh fan. He's not very good, but he owns Matthias, so what's not to like?

Some statistics on increasing the Home Tree Aura, for those into that sort of thing:

Chance of at least 3 symbols
10 dice: 22.48%
11 dice: 27.32%
12 dice: 32.26%

For an attack of 3 on 3 defense (WoA or Aubrien on height):
Chance of death
No aura: 51%
10 dice: 39.5%
11 dice: 37.1%
12 dice: 34.5%

The regular 10-dice aura is basically like defense+1 in this comparison, and the proposed 12-dice aura is not quite as good as defense+2. (If you add Raelin, too, the %s change, but the +1defense and +2 defense is still the same story.)

Last edited by fomox; May 10th, 2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Sorry for the double post. They are addressing different topics, so it seemed better to separate in this case.
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Super Doopa

DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Gen Con Unique Hero 2009
Jotun - 225
WSG - 360
Krug - 480
Marcu - 500

5-0 (1st place)
wins against miminoose38, Retlaw, Mr. Migraine, Mecha's kid, Bunjee

Gen Con 2010 Heroes Only
Jotun - 225
Krug - 345
Shurrak - 505
Marcu - 525
Chain fighter - 550

5-0 (1st place)
wins against Brownsfan, dok, Lord Trask, Wookie, Arcus

Overall tournament record with Jotun = 10-0. By far my best with any single unit.

~Matthias who is just adding fuel to the fire
This doesn't bode well for me adding the Knights to the non-viable list...

Doopa is Polish for awesome.

Last edited by DrLivingston; May 11th, 2011 at 12:20 AM. Reason: I mean they're just so slow! No one can win with those guys, can they? They're not even ranged!
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:56 AM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

While we are at it we should add Raelin and Major Q9. They don't bond with anything!

But seriouly we should add them. Make Raelin cost more, say 115 and Q9 cost more or have less defense, say 6. Or would changing Raelin and Q9 be an abomination that causes desertion of the CUC?

Also, the real reason I upped Acolarh's ullar dice to 12 was just to use them all, although it does slightly increate odds. Maybe the aura can be enlarged too, as I have always played using 12 dice and he still sucks (although I never played him with higher defense)

Also, can you add my PDF to the front page? Or would you rather take out my self-advertised customs out of it first?
Quote:
OK, so I combined all the CUC passed and proposed changes and posted a CUC download at 3/page. I also took the liberty of making my own suggestions and adding them as well. Take them or leave them, but I was just too impatient to wait for you guys at one change a month or so.

Last edited by lefton4ya; May 11th, 2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: We can't be too progressive, or else normal players will hate us.
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Is there any chance of adding Kee-Mo-Shi to the non-viable list? She's a figure I really, really enjoy and would love to see benefit from a CUC change to make her more tournament-worthy.

I'm not sure what change(s) that would be - maybe making her a Warlord, though there has to be something more creative than that - but I would love playtesting her to make her more tournament-worthy.

And I know I've asked about her before, and yes, she does have a niche, but so do most of the figures on this list really, and she needs a chance to shine outside of that small niche.

Thanks for the consideration.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old May 20th, 2011, 11:44 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Is there any chance of adding Kee-Mo-Shi to the non-viable list? She's a figure I really, really enjoy and would love to see benefit from a CUC change to make her more tournament-worthy.

I'm not sure what change(s) that would be - maybe making her a Warlord, though there has to be something more creative than that - but I would love playtesting her to make her more tournament-worthy.

And I know I've asked about her before, and yes, she does have a niche, but so do most of the figures on this list really, and she needs a chance to shine outside of that small niche.

Thanks for the consideration.
Yeah, we've talked about Kee-Mo-Shi. I definitely think she qualifies as "non-viable" (I can't say that I've ever seen her at an event). Making her a "warlord" is a given (IMO) and would be huge in making her more viable. After that, she might just need a small tweak in points and she would likely be good to go.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old May 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM

Instead of making KMS a warlord, Grok riders could be revised to bond with warlord or warwitch (among other improvements) but that would make them a pair instead of opening up KMS to more builds.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions