Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:37 PM

Omega Dead is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Question Not so lucky now

I guess I'm probably looking for too much. I want an alternative to Heroscape. Pretty much I'm looking for a game that has miniatures minus the majority of luck that is involved in Heroscape. Is there a such system that isn't overly complex.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:40 PM

hexplex? knows what's in an order marker hexplex? knows what's in an order marker hexplex? knows what's in an order marker
Re: Not so lucky now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Dead View Post
I guess I'm probably looking for too much. I want an alternative to Heroscape. Pretty much I'm looking for a game that has miniatures minus the majority of luck that is involved in Heroscape. Is there a such system that isn't overly complex.
Use your Heroscape figs as chess pieces.

*Edit: I just thought of a reason to buy more Heroscape. Sweet!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Dead View Post
We finally got our two master sets by UPS, and all I can say is MAN! My wife and I started a game today and she loved it. It took us an hour just to draft the armies because she liked so many of the special abilities. This is definitely one of the funniest board games we've played.
Wife won one too many games, eh?

~Aldin, lucky in love

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sounds like "Dungeon Twister" for you.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:26 PM

No thats not it. lol. I'm trying to flesh out our gaming collection. So far we have, Pandemic, Last Night on Earth, Battle Ball, Burn Rate, Heroscape, and Battlelore. We both love Battlelore, but I feel like Heroscape's quality kinda makes Battlore obsolete(For us. I know the games are completely different). So I was thinking of trading it for something else. I kinda been checking out AT-43.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM

Yea I've also been eying Dungeon Twister.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM

Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker

A lot of the question depends on what you're looking for (board game vs. miniature game, pre-painted vs. assemble and paint yourself, collectible vs one-time-purchase).

You just missed a big sale on AT-43 at Fantasy Flight Games. AT-43 looks nice, but is VERY expensive to build up armies. I looked into it recently and decided to leave it alone due to lack of local interest and price.

Dungeon Twister is a good board game recommendation if you're looking for a much lower amount of luck and the ability to expand the game with expansions (somewhat reminiscent of HeroScape). Many people who dislike it say that it doesn't have enough luck in it.

If you're not opposed to a CMG's, I recently picked up Monsterpocalypse and would recommend it. MonPoc has very cool pre-painted monsters. I believe it has more skill than HS and the buildings really add a lot to the terrain of the map without having to deal with the set-up time associated with HS. The one difficult thing to get past at the beginning is the sheer number of special abilities. It can take a little while to learn all of their interactions. Other than those special abilities (primarily on monsters) the game is actually very easy to learn. There are some online dealers that sell individual minis for decent rates and you can usually find decent lots of figures on eBay. Privateer Press has done a good job in how they distribute the figures and each unit's usefulness so that a lot of the problems inherent to CMG's are mitigated.

If you're looking for a heavier wargame with a lot of plastic (a step up from BattleLore in complexity), you might take a look at Tide of Iron.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:31 AM

Gabbi is surprisingly tart

if you're looking for a game where luck is less involved, AT-43 will hardly be the right choice ^^
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbi View Post
if you're looking for a game where luck is less involved, AT-43 will hardly be the right choice ^^
Yea I know. I just think it looks cool and is a lil more intricate. I don't think there is a miniature game like that besides Dungeon Twister.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM

Temprit is surprisingly tart

Just play D&D Miniatures... Oh wait.

"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures