Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 21st, 2011, 04:51 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Battleship Galaxies

The owner at my favorite FLGS tells me they haven't been able to keep it on the shelf.

Typhon, *if* we get a number of expansions, I am sure they will bring variety to your game, even without LoS. The opening buzz - which was surprising, to me, considering the lack of "official" buzz - may be enough to get us started down that path.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:23 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Also, if rolling to avoid damage floats your boat, the Wretch have several ways to do that.

~Aldin, who still prefers the ISN but loves some of the nifty Wretch options

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Yeah Aldin, Veteran Vapor's Fate avoiding damage on a roll of 6+ is annoying to the ISN crew.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 21st, 2011, 06:44 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
I just posted much of this over on the 'Geek, but thought I'd repeat here....

'Scape is my favorite game, the game which killed almost every other for me. Once she walked into my life, I've had time for no other. Well, except maybe for War of the Ring; but she's a fling on the side.

Not that this keeps my eyes from wandering now and then, of course. And after reading the rules of BG, and noting the similarities with 'Scape (drafting a fleet, solo/squadron distinction, etc.), I was eager to play.

I've gotten a few games in now, and have to say: it felt flat and dry. The relative lack of terrain, no third dimension, complete absence of LoS, and no real blocking rips out those elements of 'Scape that I like most.

I also miss the fact that combat sees only the attacker rolling dice for predefined damage, instead of attacker and defender both rolling and comparing results for gradations of damage. I'm not sure that the latter is more tactical; but it sure is more interactive.

Don't get me wrong, I think BG is a fine game, and if 'Scape weren't already in my life, I'd probably find myself playing BG pretty often. But as it is....
I saw your comments over at BGG and commented myself. BG isn't Heroscape and IMO it isn't fair to judge BG because it's not the same as Heroscape. Some of the same people are involved with both games, but that doesn't mean it has to be the same game, nor should it. There are elements of Scape in it, but that's enough for me as I want BG to be it's own game.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:03 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Fair enough, Hahma, fair enough.

I guess I should clarify. My post was intended only to convey why BG feels flat to me. Did I expect it to be nothing but 'Scape again, this time repackaged in outer space? No. But I was hoping I would feel that it delivered something equally satisfying. And I'm simply saying that for me, it doesn't, because I don't feel that what it changes, or adds, makes up for what it removes when it comes to interesting tactical choices.

Last edited by Typhon2222; July 21st, 2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:12 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
<~snip/snip~>

... My post was intended only to convey why BG feels flat to me ...

<~snip/snip~>
I've been reading along trying to follow the general "FEEL" for this new game among the HS community. I haven't made up mind yet if I want to invest in another set of collectible mini's - besides the only people that I might ever play this Battleship Galaxies with already have or are soon getting several copies of it. I'm also hoping to test drive it next weekend.

Sorry I found your "feels flat" comment so humorous, butt I'm sitting here LMAO . Now how in the world (pun intended) is even a 21st century State-of-the-Art BOARD GAME supposed to replicate the 3rd Dimension of Outer Space??? What did you expect: transparent stackable boards, like the 3D Chess set I once owned in the 60's ...OR... maybe adjustable stands for the ships to attach to, like the ones they came out with for the flying HeroClix figures???

I hope you don't take this personally, I'm only intending to inject some levity into a way too serious discussion about a hobby and perhaps give the designers some new ideas to think about for the future expansions we all hope are coming (not like the D&D-scape fiasco ) ~~lol~~

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:21 AM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Sorry I found your "feels flat" comment so humorous, butt I'm sitting here LMAO . Now how in the world (pun intended) is even a 21st century State-of-the-Art BOARD GAME supposed to replicate the 3rd Dimension of Outer Space??? What did you expect: transparent stackable boards, like the 3D Chess set I once owned in the 60's ...OR... maybe adjustable stands for the ships to attach to, like the ones they came out with for the flying HeroClix figures???
Hey, those are some great ideas! I remember those 3D chess sets....

Not taking it personally at all. To clarify: I'm not saying I expected BG to play in three dimensions. I'm saying that by dropping that and other aspects of Heroscape, but not — in my opinion — making up for it by introducing enough equally interesting mechanics, the net result is a game that just feels less tactically rich.

Last edited by Typhon2222; July 22nd, 2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:08 AM

Thanks. Way back on March 28th I posted in this thread:
Quote:

... WHERE'S THE MODULAR TERRAIN TILES? Looking at the pictures posted on PurplePawn, the hexes seem to only be about 1" from side to side, not the almost 2" that I am used to with HS and BC. However, I'm already thinking about building an Outer Space hex grid map out of the HeroScape terrain, using primarily the blue water tiles with an occassional black shadow to represent the the worm-holes, and maybe grey rock or brown sand ones as Line-Of-Sight blocking asteroids or small planets. ...
so there is always the chance that some of us might adapt BG to use with our HS terrain tiles. All it takes is a little imagination - and that's what I love about H'scape - endless possibilities. It's a shame that the suits at HasBorg didn't the potential and failed to market it properly, but instead chose to mass produce more versions of Monopoly, Clue, Operation, etc.

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
... WHERE'S THE MODULAR TERRAIN TILES? Looking at the pictures posted on PurplePawn, the hexes seem to only be about 1" from side to side, not the almost 2" that I am used to with HS and BC. However, I'm already thinking about building an Outer Space hex grid map out of the HeroScape terrain, using primarily the blue water tiles with an occassional black shadow to represent the the worm-holes, and maybe grey rock or brown sand ones as Line-Of-Sight blocking asteroids or small planets. ...
so there is always the chance that some of us might adapt BG to use with our HS terrain tiles. All it takes is a little imagination - and that's what I love about H'scape - endless possibilities.
Hey, that's a fun idea!

Too bad the bases of the BG ships would be too small on 'Scape tiles. Wouldn't matter for the small ships, but would for the medium and large. Hm. Bet it would be easy to mod them though....
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:57 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Sorry I found your "feels flat" comment so humorous, butt I'm sitting here LMAO .
Now that is funny!
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:37 AM

I'm glad someone caught my double entrendre and realized it wasn't just a typo.

Old July 26th, 2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I'm glad someone caught my double entrendre and realized it wasn't just a typo.
Surely the addition of that "r" turns your double entendre into a treple?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games