Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 28th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: The Playgrounds of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
You read the variable start zone blog rather than the musings one .
Oops. You meant this one, right?

I'm not sure about the cave aspect of the plan. My instinct is that that addition makes it too different. Switching in some dungeon and shadow tiles sounds good though. Do you have it virtualscaped?
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

OK, I've done as much map-thread-trawling in search of playgrounds as I have the inclination to do. If there's a map that is not yet in the second post then please post it so it can be added. Thanks!
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:22 PM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm a little hesitant to do this, as I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I'd like to nominate my Aztec Temple. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...t=18213&page=3

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamper View Post
I'm a little hesitant to do this, as I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I'd like to nominate my Aztec Temple. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...t=18213&page=3
Correct me if Im wrong but that appears to be SotM and 2xRttFF. If it is that is eligible for BoV nomination and not exactly what Ollie is looking for here. Also just a point if I understand Ollie correctly, You dont need to nominate a map for this thread. If it is outside the BoV regulations yet is still Tournament worthy then this is the spot for it.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:39 PM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think it's actually 3 RTTFF. And I thought that the BoV wouldn't accept it because it may not be an efficient use of the tiles, with the big pyramid taking all of the road tiles. Oh well, you can take it or leave it. I was just sticking it up there.

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Would a map that had a specific special rule be allowed here? For one of the maps I've made it, it allows double-spacers to climb ladders. Or another example might be Gamebear's Marpesia's Glory, which doesn't/isn't supposed to allow figures on top of castle walls.
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:32 PM

Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Or another example might be Gamebear's Marpesia's Glory, which doesn't/isn't supposed to allow figures on top of castle walls.
Something you could do for Marpesia's Glory would just be to remove the tops entirely. That's kind of the point of this thread - to have good maps that can't be in the BoV for some reason.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamper View Post
I think it's actually 3 RTTFF. And I thought that the BoV wouldn't accept it because it may not be an efficient use of the tiles, with the big pyramid taking all of the road tiles. Oh well, you can take it or leave it. I was just sticking it up there.

The link you gave sends me to the wrong place I think (because of different page settings). I've looked at your thread though and a couple look like they might qualify as playgrounds. I don't see any build instructions anywhere---to be useful to a TD they are essential. Startzones too.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Would a map that had a specific special rule be allowed here? For one of the maps I've made it, it allows double-spacers to climb ladders. Or another example might be Gamebear's Marpesia's Glory, which doesn't/isn't supposed to allow figures on top of castle walls.
Good call on Marpesia's Glory---I've added it.

Allowing double-spacers to climb ladders strikes me as too much of a rule-break---Nilfheim perched on a ladder is not going to be very stable. This is all subjective though: if TDs would be happy using a map with such a rule then it should be added. As far as eligibility goes, I guess I'm aiming for a similar model to the power rankings. I decide, but based in large part on what you all think.
Old March 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Founding Member of C3G and C3V

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!

You know, I think it would be very cool to design a map that uses only the leftover terrain pieces from the sets required from 5 tournament maps.

So a TD could build 5 tourney maps, and then take all of the leftover terrain from those terrain sets that were required and build another map. Waste not, want not.

I am pretty busy with all things C3G related, but I may try to accomplish this at some point. Anyone can feel free, or better yet, take this as a challenge to do so yourself. I think this would be a great contribution to TDs, and certainly worthy of some +rep.

Good luck.
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:00 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Good call on Marpesia's Glory---I've added it.

Allowing double-spacers to climb ladders strikes me as too much of a rule-break---Nilfheim perched on a ladder is not going to be very stable. This is all subjective though: if TDs would be happy using a map with such a rule then it should be added. As far as eligibility goes, I guess I'm aiming for a similar model to the power rankings. I decide, but based in large part on what you all think.
I agree with you whole-heartedly. Nifheim on ladder is a little weird. That I'd just throw it out there, just in case. I mean you never know, right?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
Is a Quadradical

Here's a post from Dok that those of you who don't religiously follow my map thread (and why don't you? ) won't have seen. It comments on what extra terrain pieces might be good to use if you're thinking about making a buddy map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Complementary maps. When selecting the Fall Brawl maps a few months ago, I was trying to maximise the use of my terrain (after all, providing terrain for tournaments is about the only way to justify that sixth RotV purchase). There are a few great maps out there that don't use all of the terrain in their specified sets, for example it's quite common to use the RttFF trees but not the road. Embattled Fen by Gamebear uses an SotM and an FotA, but only uses the road and battlements from FotA and doesn't use the Hive. Fists of Fury technically requires SotM x2, FotA x1, but given that terrain you can build both this map and Embattled Fen. Single SotM maps are hard to make tournament-worthy; using unrequired terrain from other maps can be added to this base to expand a tournament pool without adding to the total terrain needed.
While I'm not sure I like FoF, the map, I love the idea of complementary maps that you've laid out here. I realized recently that if you have the material for "Jungle Helix", plus another RotV set, you can make either "Mole Hills" or "Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh". To me, this becomes a pretty solid selling point for the map.

Setting aside assorted remaining terrain tiles, here's a quick look at what gets left out of BoV maps:

Badru Valley: RotV ruins.

Broken Skyline: RttFF big tree and 1 small tree, 13 FotA columns.

Embattled Fen: Hive and FotA columns.

Mole Hills: RttFF roads and big tree.

Road Rampage: RttFF big tree.

Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh: RttFF roads.

Swamp Thing: Hive and RttFF big tree.

Looks like there's lots of opportunities for maps that use extra RttFF big trees. How about a SOTM/RttFF map that uses two hives and two big trees, to be paired with Swamp Thing? That's 20 hexes worth of LOS-blockers - 24 if you use the small trees, too.

EDIT: I VS'ed a quick version of the above map (SotM + RttFF + big tree + hive). It was perfectly playable, had plenty of LoS blockers, was rotationally symmetric... and was really boring. I think it needs either more roads (for a flash fire/highways and dieways feel) or no roads at all.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios