Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 9th, 2012, 11:15 PM

Ghostship is surprisingly tart
Anyone ever lend rare figures?

This is one of those borderline questions.
Say you joined pay it forward, or you lent someone a rare squad, would you be upset if: the same squad were paid forward, or if your squad were exposed to silicone rubber before being returned?

Would it bother you any less if that squad were not available at retail?
Old March 10th, 2012, 04:37 AM

CanScape has disabled reputation
Re: Anyone ever lend rare figures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostship View Post
This is one of those borderline questions.
Say you joined pay it forward, or you lent someone a rare squad, would you be upset if: the same squad were paid forward, or if your squad were exposed to silicone rubber before being returned?

Would it bother you any less if that squad were not available at retail?
What's borderline about borrowing something and returning it in anything less than the exact condition it was in to begin with? On my side of the tracks, that's just wrong.

But first, why would I lend anybody a rare figure? It's a given that most people don't treat things they borrow as they would their own stuff 'unless' you happen to be OCD about your own stuff.

Not sure what the point is of your question...if it were rare, then why would it be available at retail? Not to mention that our beloved game is now OOP.

But if ya wanna borrow my sealed Gencon Sir Hawthorne, the answer is...

...wait for it...

...WAIT FOR IT!...

no.

Like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMX3i492iFI
Old March 10th, 2012, 07:10 AM

I want to cast them for educational purposes, artistic commentary and satire.
Old March 10th, 2012, 07:27 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

I'm with CanScape with this one, there's nothing borderline about it, it's just plain wrong. If you can't take care of other people's stuff, you shouldn't be borrowing them. If you damaged their stuff by accident, the least you can do is replace it with one that is better or matches the condition of the original one.

Would it bother me, most definitely. Depending on who's borrowing it, I may or may not show that I'm bothered by it. But definitely that's gonna be the last thing he/she would be borrowing from me... unless a cash deposit or ransom object is first given.
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Popsicle stick Admiral

Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

When casting a figure theres a few things that can happen.

First, if you have to cut the mold, theres a chance you might scrape or cut into the figure with your exacto knife.

Silicone stuck inside the figure is super easy to remove, but the clay you use to make 2 part molds might stay and its a little tedious to clean but also not a big deal, just use a wooden toothpick and not a metal item like a paperclip as you might chip the paint.

The sticker is the biggest problem, its the only real thing that might suffer durring casting if not carefull.

I have casted over a dozen figures with only one having been affected on the sticker, but then again I am CDO with my figures ( Its like OCD but in Alphabetical order like it SHOULD BE ).

I would not cast some one elses figure with out their consent and very clear conditions, ( If I screw this up I will pay X amount for it, or replace it with X). Nothing should happen if you have an idea of what your doing, and if you dont you can start with less expensive but needed units.

I think casting is a great idea, and its fun, but the original item might suffer, and I would be more then pissed, I'd be offended if I lent some one an item I care about in good faith and they used it with out asking me first to make a mold.

Oh and about Casting Check out Filthy The Clown's new thread, he used green stuff and Instant mold, and had some amazing results. Instant Mold does zero damage to the figure, and all you have to make sure is that its not wet when you apply it on the figure so the sticker doesnt get wet.
Great Tutorial for people wanted to invest little and have great results.
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Popsicle stick Admiral

Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

And I forgot to mention, My uncle always told me this when I asked to borrow his tools,

" A good tool will last you until you lend it"

I always made sure to return them cleaner then lent them to me, and now he will lend me any tool I need.
Old March 10th, 2012, 02:26 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

You should start with Stingers. They are a fairly intricate miniature, if you can do them you should be able to do most figures. They are easily avaliable, if one gets messed up its not a huge loss. They are still desirable, everyone wants more stingers.
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:37 PM

I doubt I would ever actually borrow someone's figures. Even worthless ones. I don't like being in debt.

I suppose that I was more lamenting the difficulty of getting the figures that I want. It's extra tough to think, I can't even justify the kind of money it takes to get the figure to cast in the first place.

I know that if I ever expect to have squads, I'll have to cast them.
Old March 10th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Popsicle stick Admiral

I'm not to sure about the last two post.

Unless Hog means, do to a stinger as a * test* subject, then that makes more sense.

But this is from my experience, and you might have different methods than mine.

I would never spend the amount of time it takes to cast anything that cost less then $16 per squad and maybe if I needed all 3 of them. Stingers are around $4 for a squad and so much easier to just buy them than try casting, cleaning them and then painting them, and don't forget you need to either buy a base or recycle another figure for their base.

It takes a few hours to do each squad, and if its just to have fun making them that's cool, but if you are just trying to fill out your ranks , then it is really tedious.

The initial cost of the materials also isn't really that cheap either, just a trial size of smooth on, for the mold and casting resin is around $60 investment, but if you make a ton of figures then that works out, but just for 1-4 squads its alot of money plus the actual work.

I would go with instant mold and green stuff at first, easy to use, and about a $25 investment shipped. You can make a dozen figures there easy. Again, this is my experience, and just my opinion, I'm sure there's allot of people out there that have cheaper ways and better faster ways of doing this and it might be worth doing cheaper squads then.
Old March 10th, 2012, 04:30 PM

enkidu is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktroll View Post
I have casted over a dozen figures with only one having been affected on the sticker, but then again I am CDO with my figures ( Its like OCD but in Alphabetical order like it SHOULD BE ).

Off topic, but I've never heard/seen this great and obvious OCD joke before. Been a long time since I've literally LOL at something I've read. I think the bolding and all caps on "should be" are what really did it for me.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktroll View Post
Unless Hog means, do to a stinger as a * test* subject, then that makes more sense.
Yeah, for practice. Makes more sense to replicate a Stinger than a Tarn or another unique.
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:44 PM

Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I know that I would not lend someone my Anubin Archers or Gladiatrons, but if I every made molded versions of them then I would trade them with you.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion