Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old September 18th, 2007, 07:44 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
What if there was an automated welcome message that was sent to new members...heck, for all I know there might be one of those already, but maybe it could include information on where to find FAQs (official and unofficial), how to search, and a link to the card gallery.
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
We've made it clear that we want niceness to rule. We also just assume that folks all have bumped into a grump or two in their lives and know how to let it roll. You don't see folks on Sesame street busting Oscar's chops for being the resident grouch. The fact that he is rooted to that trash can proves that he is a local fixture. I see it like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman D
I see what you're saying, but doesn't that lead to a slippery slope? Why is one member allowed to be an exception to your rule?
Well this is a community of people, not automatons. The community leaders are volunteers. This is my personal place of choice to relax in my off time. There is room for personal expression within limits, and our rules are loose enough to not be too restrictive/stifling. I'm less concerned about slippery slopes, than I am about folks having a good time exchanging ideas here. Will this cause inconsistencies? sure! The admins are all different minded individuals with little or no training. We make no claim to be some paragon of internet conduct here... Just be nice/helpful/humble... Be cool. That's the only real message of this thread. As for Cavalier, he's my friend....stinky grouchy friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb
What if there was an automated welcome message that was sent to new members...heck, for all I know there might be one of those already, but maybe it could include information on where to find FAQs (official and unofficial), how to search, and a link to the card gallery.
We have Aldin But seriously, this is not about how to correct the noobs, but how to treat people. Automation is no replacement for helpfulness.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
As for Cavalier, he's my friend....stinky grouchy friend.
I am feeling the love in this thread

Old September 18th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Quote:

I think I can smell the love.
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
Quote:
Quote:

I think I can smell the love.
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:28 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
I've also noticed a sharp spike in rudeness in the past couple of weeks. I hope I haven't been contributing to it unknowingly, but I've been spending less time here to make sure I don't.

I know how we can solve this problem. This smiley -> is a very expressive one, but comes off as quite rude. I think we should just change it to PRTFC (the P standing for "please"). That was there's absolutely no way anyone ever could misinterpret anything for any reason.

I will be nice to t3h n00bzoxrz!!!11, I promise.
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:47 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
We've made it clear that we want niceness to rule. We also just assume that folks all have bumped into a grump or two in their lives and know how to let it roll. You don't see folks on Sesame street busting Oscar's chops for being the resident grouch. The fact that he is rooted to that trash can proves that he is a local fixture. I see it like that. We got a wide variety of people here, and tolerance is expected all around. I want noobs to be happy but I am not looking to sprinkle egg shells all over the floor either. Just be cool everyone!! This isn't a situation where we need to hash out the extremes.
So I'm the local Oscar the Grouch???!?!

I can live with that :P
Just remember who's the law:

Um, I thought I was the law...

Nice Colt, BB.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:04 AM

RichardD has disabled reputation
What about grammar, though? Surely we're still allowed to flame for grammar? Please? Pretty please?

In all seriousness, GBob is absolutely 100% right. Although there have been instances of new posters inviting a flaming, and doing all that they can do to ensure that the flames don't die down quickly.

And in all honesty, *I* have never managed to do a proper search in this site, absent an easy-to-use search function. OK, I'll look through the likely threads for an answer before I post a question, and I'll try to use an appropriate thread in which to ask it, but I can see where the new guys come unstuck.

Though in all honesty, every forum I've ever been on that *has* a proper search function still gets a deluge of half-baked questions posted to it. At least this place is several orders of magnitude nicer than any Warhammer forum I've ever visited. They don't flame newbies in those places; they flay them alive.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old September 19th, 2007, 11:55 AM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
Continuing on what RichardD said, sometimes the reason you can't find something with the search function is because people give REALLY vague thread titles.

For instance, instead of "Mimring's Special Attack" we have "OMFG? im new hear andi hav a ?"
Old September 19th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
One of the significant questions that this thread raises (and I haven't heard elsewhere, although I did not do a search) is:
Are there people we do NOT want to welcome here on HeroScapers.com?

The answer is "Yes."

We do not want: those who abuse other users for their own ego or pleasure, those who are sexual predators, those who only want to disrupt the site, those who are posting spam, those who are scam artists, those who are here only to create conflict, those who are here only to make a profit, and those who are only interested in other self-serving activities.

That leaves a lot of people who may not do things the way I would do them, or even do them the way I think a civilized person would not do them, who we still want here. We may hope they will learn the ways of the civilized world. We may simply enjoy the way they do not learn such meek and mild ways. But they are wanted and welcome.

Otherwise, there's not much room for someone like me, who is mostly civilized, but every now and then just goes bonkers.
Old September 19th, 2007, 12:32 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
About the search function, I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Put a Search link back at the top and redirect it to a page that explains the Google process! It could link to the forum post that is stickied, or it could even get its own new page explaining the process, which I still find a trivial thing to create (hey, I may be HTML literate, but I don't have keys to the site!).

Not to rag on the already-busy site admins, but I honestly think we can work around the broken search with little effort. Unless there's something in the code of this bulletin board that prohibits it (in which case I'm a total artard). Is there a good reason it hasn't been done? Honestly in the dark here.

The reason I mention this here is that a significant portion of questions could be redirected to the appropriate places (though I realize some n00bs will ignore the Search anyway), cutting down on long-term members' frustration and increasing the efficiency of the site by reducing the number of question threads. And regarding "warm welcomes," simply offering a search option would eliminate even the *opportunity* for dog-piling for a good number of new members. Remove the temptation, so to speak.

I repeat: this is not to get upset at admins because their jobs are already pretty busy. I'm just a big fan of things like this working efficiently.
Old September 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I think you all will be pretty happy soon......

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's