Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old June 11th, 2015, 10:24 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Height advantage Determined by both Base and Height

I was just thinking how little we use the Height of our figures to determine, well anything. I also could never aptly explain why an Blade Grut on a one space hill had height advantage (and thus an extra attack and defense die) on Joten to my friends.

Thinking more about it made me wonder what kind of problems would arise if a figure needed to both have its base higher and be "taller" after taking tiles into consideration before determining height advantage.

For example for figures the same size nothing would change since both their base and height would be higher if they were on elevation.

On the other hand a figure with a height of 3 would need to be on terrain 2 tiles high (3 height + 2 tiles = 5 total height) to get height on a figure that was 4 tall.

If neither figure had both it's base and height higher, then neither unit would claim height advantage.

This model would hurt the dwarves, repulsors and Goblins (Ratz can take the hit), while all the Large and Huge figures would get a boon. On most maps it would become impossible to get height on Dragons - which totally makes sense.

I really think this method synergizes well with @hextr1p partial cover rules since while that rule system increases the number of dice rolled, this one reduces it. Also, while the partial cover rules "hurt" large and huge figures, this helps them.

What do you think?

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old June 12th, 2015, 03:33 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Height advantage Determined by both Base and Height

It makes a bit of sense, and would change little for most battles between similarly sized figures. Still, it'd add a lot of math into the equation, and the actual Height number generally seems to not matter anyhow. Plus it'd be a little unbalanced in favor of more Double-spaced units, who are supposed to lose out on height advantages due to size anyway.

Besides, that'd be unfair for Dzu-Teh vs. Quasatch Hunter games.

~TAF, who otherwise thinks you could get away fine with playing a game this way

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old June 12th, 2015, 06:49 AM

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

The added math angle was something I considered but was less worried by. If people have trouble with single digit or low value double digit addition and subtraction this is not for them. If I was ever playing with kids the hidden math might be benificial.

I guess you are right about the big double spacers getting height, but remember they still need to have theit bases higher first so the would likely of had height anyway. If anything it leads to more even level fights where neither side has height advantage.

It also would help out the. Calvery squads since they would be st a disadvantage so much.

Old June 12th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

The Marrden Hounds and Dund are large figures that would get the short end of the stick, so to speak.
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:39 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Interesting idea. If Mimring and Sir Denrick are on level ground, does Mimring have height advantage?
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:38 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
The Marrden Hounds and Dund are large figures that would get the short end of the stick, so to speak.
Smaller stick, less playing fetch I would imagine. Just throw it and see if they go after it.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:49 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I like the idea and it would make more sense that way while making use of a rarely used stat. I think for the most part you would be able to easily see which figure is higher and only need to do some math once in a while.

As for an explanation to your friends about why a goblin can get a high ground advantage on a giant. I think the idea is that the goblin can swing his sword with a more powerful downward strike and thus gain more power, so even though he is only attacking the giants ankle he is striking that ankle with more force. When on even ground, the goblin can not swing through the ground and thus has a less powerful strike. I don't know how it translates on defenses though as the Giant is still crushing the goblin from above even when the goblin is a waist level instead of toe level.
Old June 12th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Great idea!

This is a pretty cool idea, but as a whole, I don't like trying to answer the "even ground" question. Both sides of the coin definitely make sense, though.

Units who are bigger should be more badass than the lower rank and file units. Thus, the free +1/+1 makes sense.

But what happens when you start to consider units who are already quite powerful on their own? I certainly don't want to try fighting a Deathwalker with +1 defense, or Charos who now has 6 Defense and Counterstrike. That only serves to hurt melee even more. The Frost Giant would also get a substantial boon, because he is taller than most figures and he is only a single spaced unit. These corner cases won't always come up, but I don't like the idea of what happens when they inevitably will.

All in all, you can play around with it. I don't see it taking the fun out of the game at all. But to consider it in a competitive sense might be pushing the game's limits a bit too far.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 12th, 2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Interesting idea. If Mimring and Sir Denrick are on level ground, does Mimring have height advantage?
Since the Bases are still equal no one would get Height Advantage.

Drake would have to be 5 levels higer (5 levels + 5 Hieght) to get height advantage on Mimring (9) since both his base and height must be above Mimring.

Mimring would only need 1 level (1 for the base) to get height advanage on anything shorter than him, which includes Drake.

Looking at it this way it only takes hight advantage away from figures attacking taller figures, which is typically more thematic and still fairly balanced. It also has the secondary impact of strenghting heroes and Calvery squad, since more tall figures are heroes.

I guess a few tall heroes may seem over powered (Like Nief) but for the most part our big brusers are on the weaker side anyway. Plus Tall figures are often hurt on many maps due to double spacing, not to mention my suggestion of combining this with the Partcial Cover rules, which also weaken larger figures.

Old June 12th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Pretty cool. I think you should give it a try. Sounds fun and I like the way you are proposing to use it.
I always thought having height advantage determined by overall height would make for a great scenario at a tournament, especially one where the scenario changes game to game.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions