Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 8th, 2006, 12:39 PM

fuzzysadist has disabled reputation
Equipment ... Spells ... Etc

I was wondering if anyone thought of doing a "Masterbook of Equipment" and/or a "Masterbook of Spells"

What I was thinking was basically a list of standard items "LongSword, BattleAxe, 44 Magnum, etc).... Like you might see in a roleplaying game. Then a simple Glyph sized card for the actual items.

There are a couple of reasons I think the list might be useful. First off, barring magic items, etc... Normal basic items should be fairly common. While only Carr has a "Sword Of Reckoning"... no reason any Tom, Dick or Deadeye Dan can't pick up a Longsword.

The other reason for the list, is basically, I hate printing out a large card for each tiny piece of equipment. Kills the ink in my printer for very little return.

As far as what "sits on the character sheet"... I think a glyph with an image of the equipment item, maybe its title in text below the picture would be useful. That way, you could print lots of them on a single sheet. You can set several on top of the army card to show who's carrying it, etc.

All of these reasons would work for spells too. Put "Gift Of Magic" on the card, then just pick from a list of predone spells. Hell, we could just do a a mass convert of AD&D spells to Heroscape. I do that sort of thing between RPG's all the time.

So... thoughts and opinions?

Fuzzy
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM

I whipped this up fairly quick, but this is the kind of listing I was talking about....

NA is "Normal Attack"

Fuzzy
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Master Custom Creator

Karkadinn has disabled reputation
This sort of thing was done before back on HQ, IIRC, but the files appear to be lost.
Personally I don't see much gain to come from implementing large lists of 'normal' items with minor stat adjustments and no special abilities... at least, not compared to the work involved. But that could be just me.

Professional fiction
Fanfiction
To Ne-Gok-Sa
Like dating women
Statistics doom your players
Till they get lucky
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkadinn
This sort of thing was done before back on HQ, IIRC, but the files appear to be lost.
Personally I don't see much gain to come from implementing large lists of 'normal' items with minor stat adjustments and no special abilities... at least, not compared to the work involved. But that could be just me.
Eh, I get lots of weird ideas, they don't always pan out.

If nothing else, it could be used as a reference for making customs. Like... "I have this dude, hes got a really big sword... lets see, a 'GreatSword' normally does this much damage... so I'll base it off of that."

And if nothing else, it seemed fun to do, but then, I'm a geek that likes numbers

Fuzzy
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:16 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
You would be interested in HSGear, by BoB, if you haven't already seen it.
I don't know where the link is, but I'm pretty sure it's still around.

As for Equipment and Spells, yes, I tried to get customs designers interested in making libraries of analysed (and perhaps playtested) Spells and Equipment, and there was little interest, and then Doc Savage utilized the Equipment idea on his custom units, and that's about as far as it has gone.

The functional difficulty in making a library of spells & Equipment is that they would effect each unit differently, so it is prasctically impossible to give a static point value assigned to each.
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersaurus
You would be interested in HSGear, by BoB, if you haven't already seen it.
I haven't but would be interested to see it if the link can be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersaurus
The functional difficulty in making a library of spells & Equipment is that they would effect each unit differently, so it is prasctically impossible to give a static point value assigned to each.
Well maybe the points sound be expressed in % of the army card's cost, rounded to the nearest unit of '5'?

Fuzzy
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:00 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
I would be interested in helping make a list, but I have on suggestion: HS weapons such as on fuzzysadist's list are hard to put a price on. Instead of boosting the figure's attack, a better idea might be to give each peice of equipment or weapon a special ability or attack assosciated with it. This would make all points static, as each weapon would effect different figures in the same way. For example, one of Doc Savage's customs had a Chainsaw Weapon associated with it. If I remember, it gave a special attack, range 1, attack three, that requiered two shields for every skull rolled. Since speciallattacks aren't eefected by other special powers, height, glyphs, etc. the item would effect Ne-Gok-Sa as much a Minion of Utgar. If the items gave figures extra attack, that's only one possible skull or Ne-Gok, but two for a Minion. No offense, Fuzzy, but they'd have to be a bit more expensive than 5 points.
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King
HS weapons such as on fuzzysadist's list are hard to put a price on. Instead of boosting the figure's attack, a better idea might be to give each peice of equipment or weapon a special ability or attack assosciated with it......
Well my thinking was this....

Muscle powered weapons, would add to attack (ie, your strength + weapon damage)
Self powered weapons (guns, etc), would have a straight attack die roll.

Miscellaneous equipment would have special abilities just like army cards. My example was just some simple things I threw together for an example.

Fuzzy
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:25 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Hmm, I see. I didn't quite think of that. That actually solves some problems I've been having with items. I'd be happy to help make a list.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:14 PM

Zeek Woo who?
I was working on something close to this concept in 2005, but I went on the road in January and it just got dropped.

The concept had everyone starting with a basic character card.

and then adding to it with basic skills and items.

to look like this.

games would then be played as normal, with this card as part of your army.

and as the campaign progressed each person would continue to improve his/her character with better skills and better items(found on the field of battle).

Old November 8th, 2006, 10:17 PM

Zeek Woo who?
If you want to go forward with something like this, I would be willing to lend a hand.
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Well I'm not looking at a 'reward system', but I did think making a "Normal Man" custom "common hero" would work well with this system. How about you help me work it up, and you can take what you want for your reward system, and I'll take what I want for just plan lists and such?

Fuzzy

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards