Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old April 4th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Civil War Dude Woo who?
Re: Civil war units for Heroscape

I have played with these rules several times with my painted 15mm Civil War figures and it's a lot of fun.

Stingers
Minions
Knights My top 5
Cyprien
Heavy Gruts
Old April 4th, 2009, 09:38 PM

obsidianguard knows what's in an order marker obsidianguard knows what's in an order marker

When we had this conversation a year ago, I stated the following ideas:
Quote:
While there were still many battles that were "line up and fire," the Civil War was fought in the woods, using the terrain to an army's advantage.
With the release of the new Jungle set, we have seen that terrain pieces can serve as more than LOS blockers. Civil War units could have a special ability to use the trees from RttFF as an attack advantage.
At the very least instead of having a "Wait then Fire" option, these units could conceivably have a "Move - Fire - Repeat" option for ranged attacks, and a good ol' bayonet charge for hand-to-hand combat. With rapid movement and repeat attack, these units could possibly be one of the deadliest in the game. A squad of four to six (2 or 3 blue and 2 or 3 gray) could fight for a single general (like the zombies) or maybe two, (like the 10th foot and 4th Mass). To balance the potentially high attack capabilities, include a defense of 2 and a cost of 100/3 units.
Any thoughts?

Back from the dead
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM

JANDAR88 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarofEarendil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrn View Post
It would be cool, but please, no Wait, then Fire. It would be soooooooooooooooo redundant.
Whether you like it or not, more than likely these civil war guys will end up with Wait then Fire. They'd also probably get that Bayonet power too.
Although, fewer than 1% of American Civil War injuries were bayonet induced. They did scare the heck out of guys being charged.
Who wouldn't be afraid of guys charging at them with guns that had sharp metal objects prodruding from the end? I can see it now- years later he woke up screaming from a bad dream. "They're a goin' ter poke ma eyes out wit sharp metal objects!"

BLACKMOON'S SIEGE
Heroscape Wave 9 / Coming in July of 2009
(Everyone do this)
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:27 AM

Armydillo978 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANDAR88 View Post

Who wouldn't be afraid of guys charging at them with guns that had sharp metal objects prodruding from the end? I can see it now- years later he woke up screaming from a bad dream. "They're a goin' ter poke ma eyes out wit sharp metal objects!"

That, or...."They're running with scissors! Or bayonets!"

Bill
----------------
What would Zim do?

What would Rasczak say?
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:19 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation

Just downloaded peteparkerh's rules and look forward to reading them. Years ago, I made Civil War customs along the lines of the game you guys are outlining. I used "Grant" and "Lee" as the Federal and Confederate generals each side fought for, wrote up a common infantry, cavalry and artillery squad, and some unique squads for famous units also. That way you can have the Iron Brigade in your game, but not be invincible. Unique heros took the roles of sergeants, captains, color sergeants, and provided the synergies for the units. Unique heroes were all named for actual historical persons. THe game plays pretty well, if slowly because there's a lot of standing around trying to blast a hole in your opponent's line after the first few turns. I may be able to find the file with those cards in it. They're rough because I'm not much of a graphics designer, though.

Not one step backwards!
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:05 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The problem I find, as a Civil War fan, with using Grant as the Union general is that Grant wasn't the top man in the Union army for the whole war. Grant only took his position in 1864. There were many other "top men" in the Union Army prior to him: McClellan, Meade, Burnside, and others whose names escape me at the moment.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:56 PM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthan313 View Post
The problem I find, as a Civil War fan, with using Grant as the Union general is that Grant wasn't the top man in the Union army for the whole war. Grant only took his position in 1864. There were many other "top men" in the Union Army prior to him: McClellan, Meade, Burnside, and others whose names escape me at the moment.
While that's true, the only real purpose the general serves in this context is as flavor text.
Read through the rules above cited. They owe a lot to the excellent, but out of print AH/Hasbro "BattleCry" of which I'm a great fan. I've been using Risk figures on HS hex boards for several years, because I'm a cheap gamer. The 15mm figs look really good on the hexes. I tend to use either the sand or grass hexes for the base, water is, well, water. Swamp water makes good looking forest hexes. Hills are simply a second layer of hexes. It's nice to see someone arriving at the same cheap wargaming ideas! After all, when you've already got the figs and the hexes, may as well use them.

Not one step backwards!

Last edited by RobWeaver; April 6th, 2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM

Svannim Woo who?

i think this is verrrry cool. i am a civil war re enactor myself
Old September 18th, 2022, 02:18 PM

Vecna is surprisingly tart

Aside from the C3V's 53rd North Carolina Sharpshooters are there any German WW2 and Confederate Customs that have an authentic looking army card with a good quality PDF and the "miniature used" so I can re-create them for my games?
I am looking for army cards that follow the "The picture on the army card is literally just a picture of the miniatures" style. I do not want real world photographs or art, etc. I hope to keep them looking like official product.
Old September 18th, 2022, 03:41 PM
Setting the Table for Super

Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecna View Post
Aside from the C3V's 53rd North Carolina Sharpshooters are there any German WW2 and Confederate Customs that have an authentic looking army card with a good quality PDF and the "miniature used" so I can re-create them for my games?
I am looking for army cards that follow the "The picture on the army card is literally just a picture of the miniatures" style. I do not want real world photographs or art, etc. I hope to keep them looking like official product.
20th Maine (Civil War - Union)

12th Caucasus Rifles (WW2 Russian)

8th Infantry Pathfinder (WW2? American)
Old September 18th, 2022, 03:46 PM

Vecna is surprisingly tart

Cool, now I just need some Germans! I love historical units.
Old September 18th, 2022, 03:47 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Those are VC units as well, BTW.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units