Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old March 11th, 2010, 07:31 PM

Therion knows what's in an order marker Therion knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Cowardly Win?

Well, I find that towards the end of a game, I always have to make the longest decisions. This usually happens when I'm up on points, and I'm trying not to lose my expensive figures. The game is going great, and I'm thinking easily, then someone calls "Ten minutes", and I suddenly have trouble thinking...

Patience Drain
After loading and before posting, roll the twenty-sided die.
On a 1, Therion makes a long and/or irritating post.
On a 2-15, Therion may not post this turn.
On a 16+, post normally.
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:32 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

I have a question somewhat related to this about sportsmanship. My brother and I were playing on a large map with two mountains on opposite corners. We each had armies based around turtling on a mountain. My main range was Syvarris backed by Raelin. His was Snipers with Repulsors as screen. I got set up on my mountain, and he clumped up on his. Unfortunately, we were each out of range of the other, and neither wanted to give up height to hunt the other down. We never play with round/time limits, so it didn't matter that I killed off all his Repulsors and was winning on points. I thought that he should have to go after me, because of my superior range and point lead. He pointed out that he would most likely loose, and stayed up on his hill. Finally, I got tired and descended into the valley to shoot up his snipers. Naturally, Syv died pretty quickly from the height-boosted snipers. I still won (with Sonlen), but I don't think it was fair for me to have to chase him out of his turtle. What do you guys think? The only ways to resolve this problem would be with round/time limits (or use smaller maps), as far as I can tell. Any other ideas?
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:36 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro Divider #4 View Post
I remember my first game against 2 of my friends. I pretty much got high ground and watched my friends kill each other. But that was then. Now I play towards winning fair-and-square by killing everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvinleader View Post
A big reason as to why I don't play tourney's. If I were the opponent in that I would have cursed you up and down, then refused to ever play you again.
That doesn't sound like he's talking about a tournament, I got "casual game" from that post. However, if in a tournament I saw you throw a fit like that, I probably wouldn't ever play you . If someone plays like a douche, you play it out like a man after explaining rationally how they were being a douche, then not play them.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Frylock, perhaps try smaller boards, or even time or round limits. Maybe even try a senario like capture the flag.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:14 PM

Ivellius knows what's in an order marker Ivellius knows what's in an order marker

Also, I think if neither person will move, as per rules, you'd just count whoever had the most points remaining and give them the victory. Don't know a quote off-hand, but I'm pretty sure that's how you decide it. If you're winning on points, the turtle has to come to you.
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

It is interesting....

I just ran a tournment where the wining condition was to hold a glyph for 50 min of round play. The rules actually encouraged people to "run out the clock". However I am fairly sure all of the 35 games we played ended in definitive victories and no one just ran away until the time rain out.

In my opinion this shows that running out the clock is definitally a cowardly win, stalling or the like. True combatents choose to wage war, not sit it out.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM

Boondocksaint knows what's in an order marker Boondocksaint knows what's in an order marker

In a casual game there is really no reason to play the clock to your advantage, your there to have fun, and a normal loss does not mean much as long as you enjoyed the game.

As far a a tournment, again you should be enjoying yourself, but the time-limit is part of the end game stratagy. It is the potential inverse of ajusting your stratagy near the end of the game so that you can score more points to win, (attacking and killing a hero rather then a common even though the OM's are on the common.) It is just a bigger part of most pvp games, whether it be sports such as football, hockey, soccer, ect. online games, card games, or board games.

With that being said, when I go to tournments I try to win with the kill, not the time. While there have been times were at a last round call, I moved my heros back to avoid a death I generally want a total victory. It is all part of bringing all I have to a tournment.

On a side note, a cowardly win would involve using the stinger denial stratagy.
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM

CanScape has disabled reputation

I'm just wondering how, if the opponent had more figures, how could the guy running from them 'win'?...was it capture the flag? In that case, keep a' runnin!

I don't see too much wrong with evading as a tactic. I mean, if I needed to track down one guy, kill him for the win...and he's running, not the least of which is because he's outnumbered, then that's exactly what I'd do...can't fault him for doing so.

As for Stinger Denial, well...that's a bit of a tough pill to swallow, but it's within the game rules, so it's 'fair' to me. Stingers can die in plenty of ways, anyway.

I guess I have too good of a time playing Heroscape to let something as trivial as the actual outcome affect my enjoyment of the game!...lol, that sounds ridiculous but it's how I really feel. I'll leave the serious competition for other games...but, they're games after all, aren't they?
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:50 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
True combatents choose to wage war, not sit it out.
But the wise warrior makes peace.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Quote:
Soooo, you forfeit?

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:31 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Quote:
Soooo, you forfeit?
Depends on the situation and what's on the line. If in a game, not often. If in real life, maybe - as long as my enemies are not ruthless, blood-thirsty savages.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:38 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

I think there is almost no such thing as a cowardly win. If some type of loophole exists it is simply a result of poor rules being used. As long as everyone knows the rules up front and have a level playing field then all is fair. A big reason why I like partial card scoring better than ful card is it gives a better snapshot of who is winning at that current moment and eliminates some of the tactics that people most dislike.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles