Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 13th, 2013, 01:49 PM

saywhat knows what's in an order marker saywhat knows what's in an order marker
Re: How DnD screwed up Heroscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
.... But who knows, even things like Killer Instinct came back and that was thought to be lost forever as well........
Ironically years back I thought that the characters from Killer Instinct would make for good customs in Heroscape.
Old December 13th, 2013, 02:49 PM

Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby!

Ditto.......Fulgore on Vydar?! YES!

PM me about any custom scenery
Old December 13th, 2013, 03:19 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I would say the only way Scape makes it back at this point is via some form of crowd funding campaign. I can't imagine the scenario where Hasbro would do this (maybe the CEO's nephew really wants it to happen and he's a spoiled brat that gets everything he wants... which I would actually have no issue with ), but I'm sure it would gain a lot of traction. Considering the amount of $$ unknown minis games get on places like Kickstarter, I'm sure Scape would crack the 1M barrier easily (the problem is that's nowhere close to the margins they would want I'm sure).

-insert signature here-
Old December 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM
C3G Hero

Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Perhaps more feasible is a KickStarter campaign by a smaller third party gaming company [who are amenable to lower margins] whose budget for the project includes funds for licensing the Heroscape brand from Hasbro.
Old December 13th, 2013, 08:59 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I do not see anything in the OP as "screwed up."
X2

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old December 13th, 2013, 10:53 PM

Jdao is surprisingly tart

I used to be in the same boat and hated the DnD waves. Though I still think a lot of the figures don't fit in with the lore, the DnD waves have some of the most unique and well thought out powers like the deathchasers and warforged. DnD for me is 50/50. Some of the units are super cool, and some just make u wonder why they're even in there.

Back to OP's point, I don't think DnD was responsible for HS's decline. I think at that point, HS was already about to go down; there was little marketing to a very niche game and production costs were super high. I personally think HS figures are one of the most durable and high quality figures for such a cost. I do hope 3d printing technology or crowdfunding will bring it back. Maybe some occasional posts on Reddit will bring back attention like that one post that made it to the front page of Reddit.

Edit: when I think about it, I bet WotC already knew HS was gonna go under, they probably thought: "why not introduce DnD into HS and get some of the HS crowd and get "free" publicity for their prized DnD franchise"

Last edited by Jdao; December 13th, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old December 13th, 2013, 11:21 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I have pretty similar feelings with Jdao, I feel like it wasn't so much as that D&D killed HeroScape as much as it is they just took the opportunity of one thing dying to try to fertilize their product.

About the gameplay of them I also have pretty mixed feelings, I don't like how little they fit in with the rest of the game, but they do have some nifty ideas behind them, for example I personally like the Uncommon Hero type...

I feel like though WotC did pull the lever that choked out HeroScape, it was more Hasbro not marketing it well and how the waves were structured, making the stores have overstock of the sets in a wave with only Unique Figures and short on the sets with Common figures. I can see the argument that D&D killed 'Scape, but I don't see it.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old December 14th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

When it comes to DnD, nothing bugs me much except the different bases. I tried to pretend it didn't bother me at first. As long as they all attached to ladder rungs I figured no big deal. But over time, I've grown to dislike them more and more.
Old December 14th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I recently got into D&D, and actually came to appreciate both the fact that all the units could be used in my D&D games (which saved the money on buying new minis) and that the bases could be used on the D&D game boards.

I think the main problem with HS was that it was never really marketed as a tabletop game, and was marketed more at younger kids. In fact, I think that if WotC had had the rights to begin with, they would have done a better job marketing the product to the appropriate crowd.
Old December 14th, 2013, 03:10 PM

Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby!

We just got all three big box D&D dungeon crawlers. They are fun games but funny enough they are more simple than Heroscape...lmao! True D&D cannot be compared to Scape as they are two different styles of games. Dungeon Command is a good comparison.

PM me about any custom scenery
Old December 14th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Real D&D should not even require minis, only imagination.

It blows my mind that they turned it into a board game. Oh well, I never cared for the system anyway, I was always a Palladium guy.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 14th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Real D&D should not even require minis, only imagination.
Plus it makes RPGs so much more expensive. Although I've had fun w/ RPGs with and without miniatures.

Last edited by Hellfire; December 14th, 2013 at 04:54 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion