Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

View Poll Results: Who's the best 5 point hero?
Entry #1 13 43.33%
Entry #2 1 3.33%
Entry #3 2 6.67%
Entry #4 0 0%
Entry #5 0 0%
Entry #6 2 6.67%
Entry #7 3 10.00%
Entry #8 2 6.67%
Entry #9 0 0%
Entry #10 1 3.33%
Entry #11 1 3.33%
Entry #12 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 14th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
Speed Custom Contest #11. Entries Posted! Poll Up!

Speed Customs
Contest Number 11

You must create a 5-point unique hero. You may use any common or uncommon figure in this gallery.

All entries are due to me, via pm, by July 15, 2007 at 1:00 pm (est).

Rules:

1) Entries must be sent to me via PM.

2) Entries must be in card format. (no text only customs)

3) Entries must be on an existing HeroScape general's card.

4) Only 1 entry per option per member.

5) Do not include your name on your actual card.

6) You may not edit your custom once I have received it.

7) You may ONLY use the figures in the gallery posted, and only in the manner detailed in this contest's guidelines.

8) Please save your file the following way: "YourName_YourCustomsName.jpg"

Once the submission time has ended, I will post all received entries, and this thread will become the voting/discussion thread.

Have fun, and good luck.

Special thanks to FireMaster for this week's contest idea.

smallboxgames.com
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
Poll is up. Voting ends July 19, at around 11:15 am (est).

Entry #1:

Entry #2:

Entry #3:

Entry #4:

Entry #5:

Entry #6:

Entry #7:

Entry #8:

Entry #9:

Entry #10:

Entry #11:

Entry #12:

Nice turn out! Several new faces, too!

smallboxgames.com
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Grindmaster

allskulls has disabled reputation

Good stuff here. Hard choice.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:03 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Yeah it was hard for me too. I chose number one in the end. It was between him and the the soulborg.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:03 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Zhothon: Hmm, an immortal 5 pointer...tricky, but I think pulled off well.

Samurai Initiate: This is really where I'd like to see 5 pointers. All but useless, but still worth including.

Rumare: Way too hard to kill for 5 points, and a pretty good ability to boot.

Carrak: I'd like to see his abilities cleaned up more, and his stats toned down a bit.

Grave Guardian: Another great almost useless figure. My one problem is: when and how often do I get to roll for Sudden Death??

Fortress of Curses: Again, too hard to kill for 5 points, though its Vengeful Presence isn't necessarily a good ability, just annoying if they have to reroll every time (even rerolls).

The Eye: Very cool, but does not in line of sight keep the figure's range?

Drone of Forgotten Times: I like the balance of its first ability, but Universal Bonding is WAY too good.

Death Mistress: Too good for 5 points.

Clipshears: Funny, and some good abilities. Could be a contender, but again, even +1 Attack for any figure might be powerful for 5 points.

Arien: Not much to say but

Abini Drall: I don't like Imp Token as a name of a power, but due to the difficulty of using his true strength, I think he's fine at 5 points.

Now I just have to decide who to vote for...

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:13 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
First one to post!

Maybe it's just the nature of a 5-point hero, but with most of these guys, I find myself asking, "Would I put an Order Marker on this guy?" or even, "Okay, but what's the point?". My favorites are those who have bad stats, but can be revived, or otherwise brought back into the game.

Zhothon is great, I love the "quote" abilities. I also like the fact that he can be brought back with no roll or anything else required. I can just see my enemy exclaiming "But I've killed that guy like, five times already!"

Samurai Initiatiate-I'm sorry, but I'd have no reason to put an order marker on this guy. It would be great if he had some sort of bonding ability, But I'd only use him for last-ditch cleanup, where he'd get his own buff because he'd be the only army card left.

Rumare-I like this, but Immobilising word is a tiny bit unclear. When new figures enter engagement, do they have to roll for it? How do you keep track of who has been Immobilised or not? Other than that, a great support figure.

Carrak-Erm...no comment...

Grave Guardain-Not very useful, in my opinion. The 20 to suceed in sudden death seems a bit drastic, and Macabe Countenence is very situational. I can see Putting him in a chokepoint so your range can have an easier time of cutting down clogged enemy figures, or in your opponent's starting zone, then explosioning it. But he would be better off with some extra life and defense, and a little move.

Fortress of curses-Wait, is this even a figure? Jokes aside, it seems solid and hard to detroy, but VERY inconvenient if it's destroyed. And, "allied" seems to mean it only effects "allies", but not your own figures, yes? That's interesting, never seen something like that before.

The Eye-Of Sauron. But seriously, I can see it's uses, just sitting in your start zone and giving figures the ability to attack ANYONE. But I think All Seeing should activate before you declare an attack, because if you "Declair" it, you must attack the figure you declared an attack on.

Drone of Forgotten Times-I like this guy very much. The stylized stat numbers are a nice touch. With Universal Bonding, there's no order markers required here. His stats are decent, but not too good, leading to him being destroyed quickly and being revived by a random opponent. It's like Musical Soulborgs.

Death Mistress-Meh. She's okay, but will get destroyed way too easy. I suppose the 5 points could be points well spent to give Cyprien a boost with his chilling touch, but wouldn't Sonya get jealous? After, and if, Cyprein is destroyed, Death Mistress is mostly useless, and will likely fall to a single attack.

Clipshears-5 points is enough for an extra attack on any figure, and since Clipshears can be brought back, it's reusable. Unfortuanetly, he's destroyed easy, and he can be used by your enemies.

Arein-I find no use in her, actually. Allegiance is too restricting, and Strength of the River is too situational to be of any use. Again, a final, last-ditch figure.

Albini Drall-Awesome! Better than Mindshackle. But he's too easy to destroy. More than one life, he needs.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Pumpkin_King, I don't think you're understanding that these guys only cost 5 points. You supposed to fill out the last 5 points of your army with them, not try to pile orders on them.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
Pumpkin_King, I don't think you're understanding that these guys only cost 5 points. You supposed to fill out the last 5 points of your army with them, not try to pile orders on them.
I was just thinking the same thing. I'm torn between voting for the Samurai Initiate, Rumare, and Arien. They all have some things that could be fixed, but they all seem to fill the requirements of being a good 5 point filler.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Quote:
I understand that they are supposed to be filler, but it's my own personal requirement that I have to justify putting an order marker on them to activate them. If you put an order marker on them in beginning to midgame, a shrewd opponent will target it and destroy most of these guys in a single attack, wasting your marker for that round. Maybe it's just my playing style, but anything that's 5 points need to be support, or have a bonding ability so that you don't waste order markers on them.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King
Quote:
I understand that they are supposed to be filler, but it's my own personal requirement that I have to justify putting an order marker on them to activate them. If you put an order marker on them in beginning to midgame, a shrewd opponent will target it and destroy most of these guys in a single attack, wasting your marker for that round. Maybe it's just my playing style, but anything that's 5 points need to be support, or have a bonding ability so that you don't waste order markers on them.
Some of them make themselves useful in other ways, or only at the endgame. Regardless, I think trying to use them in the midgame is a big mistake. As you said they're easily destroyed (as they should be), and won't accomplish much. Where they shine (as they should) is the very end of the game, giving you one last (5 point) shot at victory.

Try it this way: make a 500 point army using one of these guys and tell me why you would put an order marker on it rather than one of your other units. You shouldn't be able to, because that's not their job. You have 495 points of better units to do your damage with, before these guys take their final shot. If they had more life or move or defense or whatever, they would cost more than 5 points.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Some of them make themselves useful in other ways, or only at the endgame. Regardless, I think trying to use them in the midgame is a big mistake. As you said they're easily destroyed (as they should be), and won't accomplish much. Where they shine (as they should) is the very end of the game, giving you one last (5 point) shot at victory.

Try it this way: make a 500 point army using one of these guys and tell me why you would put an order marker on it rather than one of your other units. You shouldn't be able to, because that's not their job. You have 495 points of better units to do your damage with, before these guys take their final shot. If they had more life or move or defense or whatever, they would cost more than 5 points.
And that was exactly my point. I said that midgame usage is a bad idea, and that Most of these guys (Samurai Initiate, Arein) would only be useful at endgame, but I would have liked some to be useful during midgame. I wanted some inventive abilities that would keep them alive, or not need to move, but would still give help to other units. I guess maybe I was expecting too much out ofa 5-point unit, but I wanted something besides something that's only supposed to be used as the last unit standing.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I guess maybe I was expecting too much out of a 5-point unit,
You were.
Quote:
but I wanted something besides something that's only supposed to be used as the last unit standing.
There are quite a few options like that.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards