Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old July 6th, 2008, 10:13 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Having A Marvelous Time

*cracks knuckles*
Okay, after a few late, late nights of rapid Mountain Dew (aka, Wellspring of Life) consumption and listening to Dr. Steel (aka, the Mad Doctor of music) and Skillet (aka, Christian Hardcore Awesomeness) over and over and over, I present the first chapter of Having a Marvelous Time, being a sequel to the very short HULK SMASH VYDAR (aka, the story sucks, but the Hulk is awesome). There will also be numerous in-jokey references and returning characters from The Rise and Fall of the Pumpkin King (aka, I can't believe how long this sludge is!), so you can read up to get the full effect.

But enough of me. On with the show.

Having a Marvelous Time
By Pumpkin_King

It’s not very well known that, if you are extremely skilled, you can detect someone by hearing the noise they’re not making.
When people especially skilled at sneaking are in “sneak mode”, they actually make so little noise the decibels are measured in negative numbers. They can reduce the amount of natural noise in their immediate area through an aura of non-sound. This, in turn, can cause some people to sense them, not by hearing them, but by not hearing them. It’s almost a separate sense than hearing, if used correctly, and many people can’t. In the history of any given Earth, there are about two dozen people who could. Most are dead, or at least, not on Earth any more.
This was one of those people.
He crouched silently, sweat dripping off his face. The shadows of the rocky ceiling provided a lot of cover, but for how much longer, he didn’t know. He watched in horror as a bead of sweat seeped through his mask and dropped the long, long distance toward the ground. It splashed, making an unnaturally loud noise. He winced as the microscopic echo lasted much longer than it should have had any right to, then waited. Maybe she hadn’t heard--
A blade swished through the air by his shoulder, so sharp he could feel the sting of the air current it created. Almost faster than his attacker could see, he raised his arm toward the opposite wall.
Thwipp.
Spider-Man swung across the cave, landing on all fours vertically on the opposite wall. The green-clad ninja leapt in pursuit, blades flashing unnaturally fast before her. Spider-Man rolled along the wall it was a horizontal surface, causing the ninja to miscalculate her trajectory and land, blades first, into the wall.
She hung there, blades sticking into the rock, trying to catch her breath. She looked at him, panting underneath her mask. Spider-Man looked back, face also masked, trying to decide what to do next.
“We don’t have to fight, you know,” he said cautiously. Neither of them moved for a second. Spider-Man suspected that her arms must be getting tired, and the ground was a long way away. “I can help you get down. I can get beneath you, and you can just drop.” She seemed to agree, but a lifetime of mistrust made her pause.
“How do you know you won’t kill me once I let go of my swords?” She asked.
“Lady, you’re dangling helpless above a thirty-foot drop with almost no way to get down safely. If I wanted to kill you, I’d have left and gravity take care of it.”
“True,” she replied, shrugging as best she could while hanging on for dear life. “I can climb up okay, but I was expecting your corpse to break my fall on the way down.”
“I’m glad to know I was in somebody’s plans for the future.”
Spider-Man shot a web into the ceiling above the ninja’s head and swung to a spot suspended just below her.
“C’mon, jump,” he said.
“No,” the ninja said, suddenly stern. Her voice took on a edge of steely resolve. “A ninja must find her own way. Rely on no one, for everyone always lets you down in the end.”
“But isn’t that what you want? To be let down?”
“No. I will figure a way down.”
She was silent for a moment.
“How, exactly?” Spider-Man asked.
“I…I will attach a grapple line to the wall and rappel down.”
“What grapple line?”
“I will jump off the wall and catch my blades in the rock on that side, then jump again until I can get to the bottom.”
“The other side is about forty feet away. And it’s all smooth rock on that side.”
“I will…I will call my comrades for assistance.”
“You just said a ninja must make her own w--”
“Enough!” the ninja yelled. “I will find a way down. I don’t need help from a man with ropes coming out of his arms.”
“Alright,” Spider-Man said, lowering himself down on his ‘ropes’. “It’s your funeral.”
The ninja looked at the wall, then the ceiling, then at Spider-Man, then caught sight of the distance to the ground, and instantly regretted it. She mumbled something.
“I’m sorry?” Spider-Man asked, stopping.
“I said I need help getting down,” the ninja said.
“You’ll have to speak up.”
“I said I need help!”
“I heard you, no need to shout,” the masked man said disapprovingly. “Okay, I’ll catch you. Just drop.”
The ninja looked down to Spider-Man’s arms, and came to the conclusion that she didn’t have a choice.
She let go of her swords and dropped.
She landed lightly in Spider-Man’s arms, to her pleasant surprise.
As he lowered himself and the ninja down, he said, “So?”
“So what?”
“Usuallly, there’s something people say when their lives get saved,” Spider-Man said, setting the ninja on her feet on the ground. “Or do you not have that on this planet?”
“No, we don’t.”
“Oh, fine then.”
The ninja began to walk away, and Spider-Man followed behind her.
“Why are you following me?” The ninja asked.
“I was hoping I could find out your name,” Spider-Man said, stepping over a branch. They had entered a heavily forested area, and judging by the humidity, there was a swamp nearby. He didn’t know what kind of crazy world he’d landed on, or why there seemed to be some incarnation of the ninja on every single planet, but he was determined to get some answers.
“That’s none of your business.”
“Moriko!”
The ninja cursed and looked in the direction of the new voice. A machete sliced through the thick underbrush, and following closely afterward was a man in a cowboy hat. He had some sort of cloak wrapped about him, and an ancient-looking rifle on his back. The man saw Spider-Man and stopped.
“Uhh…?” he asked.
“He assisted,” Moriko said through clenched teeth, and stepped through the hole in the jungle created by the new man. Spider-Man shrugged and held his hand out to the man.
“Spider-Man, friend. Can I ask where I am? Physically speaking?”
“Erm…” the man said, looking from where Moriko had gone back to Spider-Man. “Y-y-you would p-p-probably have to t-talk to Ullar.”
“Ullar?”
“He’s our g-g-gen-gene….boss.”
“Really?” Spider-Man said. General? There was some sort of war going on? That would explain why he was attacked on sight, actually… “Well, take me to your leader!”
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM

keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Having A Marvelous Time

You have to be the only person on here who can effectivly mix Heroscape and Marvelscape. Well done, like always
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:44 PM

The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetacongoo View Post
You have to be the only person on here who can effectivly mix Heroscape and Marvelscape. Well done, like always

Gee, way to insult my Marvel/classicscape stories.

Good story, Pumpkin King! And I expect an excellent continuation of it.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast"
Ephesians 2:8-9

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" Acts 16:31

PM me if you would like to know more.
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker

VERY well done. I think I'm a fan. May I suggest something though? Try to make Spidey more witty.
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar Gen. View Post
VERY well done. I think I'm a fan. May I suggest something though? Try to make Spidey more witty.
Will do, Einar Gen. This is only the first chapter. Second chapter, coming up.

If Spider-Man hadn’t been raised in New York, he might have been offended by the stares he got. It was a little weird, though. Back home, people worshipped the ground he walked on the few occasions he went out in public. When he saved someone’s life, they panicked trying to thank him, but here…it was all crazy. Vaguely human creatures stared at him as he entered the camp. Snake things lurked in a pool of water nearby, half-seen. And to top it off, there was a dragon. A freakin’ dragon. Just sitting there, curled like a cat, smiling a snaggle-toothed smile, watching him.
“Uhh…” Spider-Man said, catching up to the sniper. “What’s going on here?”
“W-we’re ‘bout to meet up with J-j-Jandar and attack an enemy p-placement,” the man stuttered.
“Uh-huh,” Spider-Man said, getting a particularly nasty look from a particularly large snake. “Who is Jandar?”
“You’ll have t-to ask Ullar,” the sniper repeated.
Soon enough, he got the chance.
Spider-Man was led into a round room that looked as though it was grown from the plants around it. In the center was the table, and seated around it, from left to right, was Moriko, two winged men in rapt discussion, and someone Spider-Man knew very well.
“Cap!”
Captain America looked up and smiled.
“Parker!” he said happily. He stood up and shook Spider-Man’s hand, then offered him a seat like an old friend. The two men looked up. One was blond and wore shining silver plate armor with gold trimmings, and blue pants underneath. He looked Spider-Man up and down and asked Captain America, “So this is your friend?”
“Yes,” Cap said. “I knew he was here, just not where he was. Glad to see you again.”
“Great to be here,” Spider-Man said, leaning back in his chair. He leaned so far back the chair was balanced perfectly on two legs. Then he gave Moriko a look. “I almost wasn’t, you know.”
Moriko slunk further down into her chair, but the other winged man, dressed in green and silver, raised an eyebrow.
“Moriko attacked you?” he said. “Interesting. Usually, she has to tell us she attacked someone, because those she attacks don’t live to say so. Anyway, I don’t think we were formally introduced.”
“Ah, yes,” Cap said. He gestured to the blond man. “This is Jandar, and his friend is Ullar. They are two of the Generals of Valhalla.”
“Hi,” Spider-Man said. “I’m Spider-Man. Wait, Valhalla? Didn’t Thor say something about that? Well, we can just call him up and have him mojo us back home, right?”
“As far as I can tell, this is a different Valhalla,” Cap said, wincing.
“You don’t mean…?”
“I’m ‘fraid so. Alternate universe.”
“Ugh, I hate alternate universes,” Spider-Man said, rubbing his temples. “They always make my head hurt.”
“Anyway, things are a bit complicated. I’ll let Jandar explain.”
“Thank you, Rogers,” Jandar said, standing. He tapped the table, and little lights began to hover above it. Spider-Man looked closer, and saw they were bugs. Like little trained lightning bugs, they assembled themselves into a map like a constellation. Jandar cleared his throat and continued.
“Six years ago a Kyrie named Thormun--”
“Kyrie?” Spider-Man interrupted.
“Native people of Valhalla,” Cap said.
“Yes,” Jandar said. “Thormun stumbled upon what we now call the Wellsprings. They granted him amazing powers, not the least of which was visions. Visions of warriors from other worlds, locked in combat or waging war. He stopped drinking the Wellsprings, and so lost these visions, but others followed his lead.”
He tapped the map again, and two men appeared, standing like colossi on the map, arms folding and staring each other down. One looked like Jandar, but the other was decidedly more sinister.
“Two Kyrie, myself and another named Utgar, drank of the Wellsprings, claiming their power for two very different ideals. I wanted to bring total peace to a land with tribal infighting, and Utgar wanted to conquer it. But these visions plagued us. What were they for, if not a warning, or a sign? A sign that these warriors were to be our armies. And so, we devised ways to summon these warriors from their home worlds on the event of their deaths to Valhalla, to fight for us.”
He tapped the map again, and two armies of little figures crowded around each Kyrie’s feet.
“Three more Generals drank of the Wellsprings, massing their own armies.”
Three more Kyrie appeared on the map, standing so that they all were the same distance away from each other, with their own armies of little figures around their feet.
“For a time, we fought for control amongst ourselves, each not willing to give the other ground, even though the four of us, excluding Utgar, fought for nearly the same goal. Peace.”
The armies massed together, as if waging war.
“But while we did so, Utgar’s power grew to enormous proportions. And then I had another vision. This time, of a number of amulets. Objects of power that, in my vision, allowed Utgar to transport his troops, en masse, to the homeworlds of our warriors. That is why the other Generals and I formed an alliance; to isolate the devastation to one world only. This one.”
Jandar sat and the glowing map disappeared. Then he sighed and rubbed his temple.
“There is no need to make other worlds suffer for our mistakes.”
Spider-Man saw that ‘I’m Captain America and I approve this valiant effort’ look on Cap’s face, and rolled his eyes beneath his mask.
“So you summoned us?” He said, putting out his arms to balance the chair on one leg. “Didn’t you say you only summon people when they’re about to die? Hah. Plenty of times to choose from, eh, Cap? But the thing is, I don’t remember being about to die. In fact, I remember MJ, and a dinner, and a robbery, and some police, and a great evening, but not much else.”
“That’s just it,” Cap said. “Neither do I. Jandar didn’t summon us.”
“Well, who did?”
“No one.”
“So, by some weird cosmic coincidence the two of us are both in a crazy Viking afterlife where all kinds of summoning and war is going on?”
“I’m afraid so.”
“Geez, where’s Strange when you need him, huh?”
“And it’s not just us. I know Banner is here, and I saw Doom.”
“You sure?”
“Yes,” Cap said gravely. “And Banner’s very angry.”
“I don’t like him when he’s angry.”
“Nobody does.”
“If I may interrupt, good sirs,” Jandar said, standing. “Maybe this was a good thing. A child could see you two are great warriors. Why, Rogers has told me of your accomplishments, and you seem to be very able fighters. With only one common enemy from your world, you could easily defeat him and help us win this war!”
“Two problems,” Spider-Man said. “One, Doom’s not stupid enough to just be taken down by the two of us. It’d take Armageddon to shut him down permanently. In fact, I think he took Armageddon in the face once. And B, the Hulk’s here, too. He’s impossible to stop. We’d need to calm him down, and for that, we’d need an empath.”
“This…Hulk,” Ullar said, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. “Is the Banner Rogers mentioned, correct? The large green beast?”
“Yes,” Cap said, leaning on the table and gesturing with his hands. “Normally, he’s a human, and a rather slim one at that. He once was a scientist who was trying to develop a technology that--”
“Oh, technology,” Ullar said dismissively. “I could never understand it. Just skip forward, if you please.”
“Alright. Well, when he gets angry or agitated, he transforms into the Hulk. The only way to get him to transform back is to calm him down, usually with whatever empath was handy back on Earth.”
“An empath…” Jandar said. “We may have an empath here on Valhalla.”
Spider-Man let his chair down on all four legs.
“Why does that not surprise me?” he said. “Where is he? Imprisoned in the Mountains of Doom guarded by the Cyclops of Evil, which is surrounded by the Valley of No Return?”
“No,” Jandar said, staring at Spider-Man, eyebrow cocked. “She is in my fortress. After a very…strange series of events she was promised permanent sanctuary from war. She will not take being called into battle lightly.”
“Well, what are we waiting for?” Spider-Man said. He got to his feet and stretched. “Let’s get to that fortress.”
“I’m not scheduled to leave for a week yet,” said Jandar, rubbing his temples. “After the siege.”
“Siege?”
“Our Valkyrie friends are planning a siege of an enemy fortress,” said Captain America. “Held by Utgar. I was thinking of helping out. I couldn’t ask you to participate in a war you know hardly anything about.”
“You don’t have to, Cap,” Spider-Man said. “I trust your judgment to the ends of the universe. Been there too many times to think otherwise.”
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:14 PM

The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker

Why did I even try to mix marvel and classic in the storyline, when there was already talent out here much more qualified then me to do it???

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast"
Ephesians 2:8-9

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" Acts 16:31

PM me if you would like to know more.
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Akralon has disabled reputation

Excellent work, Pumpkin King. It's coming together nicely. By the way, what's with st-st-stuttering Dan?
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akralon View Post
Excellent work, Pumpkin King. It's coming together nicely. By the way, what's with st-st-stuttering Dan?
I really don't know. We don't know a lot about the nuances and quirks of the characters we play with on a regular basis. I feel the need to fill them in on-the-spot. Like, in my stories, Drake is a little rude, a tiny bit gruff, and smokes like a chimney. He's still the butt-kicking valiant and fearless warrior we know and love, but with some added quirks. I just was about to write Dan when I suddenly said, "He should stutter. I don't know why, but he should."

Anyway, next chapter coming up. Here's a little test. Posrep if you can guess who the 'Empath' is before I reveal her.

“Wine?”
“No, thank you. I’ve stopped drinking.”
Vydar didn’t know why on Valhalla anyone would stop drinking, but he put down the pitcher anyway. He sat in his dining room, at a table fully furnished a for dinner for two. The man across from him was human, as far as he could tell. He was middle-aged, by human standards, with short black hair and a thin moustache.
“Hmm,” the man said as he cut another piece of the meat before him. “This is excellent. I don’t usually get to try off-world cuisine.”
“I’m glad you enjoy, Mr. Stark,” Vydar said. “The jabberwocky, the finest meat in Valhalla. Now, do continue.”
“Yes, I’m sorry,” Stark said politely. “Yes, as I was saying, this all seems very interesting, but I really don’t know what I’m doing here. The last thing I remember is sitting at home. And then I’m…here? Where is here, again?”
“Valhalla,” Vydar told him again.
“Hmm. Valhalla. I seem to remember Thor saying something about that.”
“I don’t know anyone named Thor.”
“No, you’d definitely remember him if you saw him,” Stark said, sipping his water. “Anyway, about these Wellsprings. You say four others have drank of them?”
“Five. We have received reports that another Valkyrie has revealed herself. We do not yet know what part she will play.”
“It’s this Utgar that concerns me,” Stark said.
“As well he should. He as driven his armies with a power-hungry blood rage since the war began. The other Generals and I have expended all our energies to stop him, but he seems to get stronger with each passing month.”
“I’ve fought plenty of power-hungry tyrants in my time. I could help you. For a price, of course.”
Vydar smiled. And what a price it shall be.
“Price? One would think that a warrior would serve a General without question, if that warrior ever wanted to see his home world again.”
“Touché. You are positive you can send me back to my Earth?”
“Not of my own power. You see, there are these amulets.”

“Amulets, you say?”
“Oh, yes. Objects of fantastic power.”
Utgar poured the strong wine into his guest’s cup. His guest lifted the cup and somehow managed to drink through his mask.
“How many of these amulets are known to exist?” His guest asked, after drinking.
“Sixteen,” said Utgar. He leaned back in his expansive padded chair. “I have two in my possession. Another two are held by my enemies. The other twelve remain to be found.”
“What kind of power are we speaking of?”
“The power to create a bridge to another world. When combined with the power of the Wellsprings, they allow mass transport of warriors to other worlds. The exit portal could come out anywhere I like. Inside a fortress, within an armory…”
“Inside the White House, in a nuclear power plant, at a major population center…”
The guest leaned back and steepled his armored fingers.
“The possibilities are intriguing, I must admit. However, I am sensing a ‘but’ in the next sentence.”
“There is an obstacle,” Utgar agreed.
“I am Victor Von Doom. What you call an insurmountable obstacle is mere child’s play to me.”
“Four armies are not mere child’s play,” Utgar snarled. “Nor are they insurmountable. Merely…trouble.”
“Trouble indeed.”
Doctor Doom closed his eyes, his brain running through his choices.
“I will help you in this war. I am sure Red Skull and the Abomination will side with me. Thanos, however, will be a problem. He is not easily swayed by logic and reason.”
“Then we will have to persuade him by other means.”
“I doubt he will stay here long. He is rather extra-dimensional, you see. He’s quite capable of going home himself. It’s probably only a matter of time before he will simply fly away and teleport home.”

“If I could go home, I would have already. Something is blocking my ability to phase through dimensions.”
Einar didn’t know what his shiny friend meant, but he got the general idea.
“You are stuck on this world,” Einar said. He looked out over the balcony rail that the newcomer sat on. His silver craft hovered beside him. “If I were able to send you to your home world, I would.”
“Unless you had power over time, you could not send me back, even if you had the power to transport me to my native dimensional space.”
The Surfer lowered his head and shut his eyes.
“My Zenn-La was destroyed long ago.”
“I cannot pretend to know an alien being’s emotions, but know that I lost many of those near to me. I can feel your pain as freshly as if it were mine. Not long ago, my home village was razed to the ground.” Einar swallowed the lump in his throat. “There were no survivors.”
“We are brothers in loss, then. After thinking, I have no desire to return. What is waiting for me there but another reminder of my Zenn-La?”
He raised his head, and looked over the dry prairie beneath him. Human soldiers dressed in red drilled below. A war, he thought. Another battle, another bout of spilled blood and broken dreams. But could he do some good here? Could he try and right the wrongs he’d caused?
“I will fight for you, Einar.”
“I could not ask you to spill blood for a cause you do not believe in. Are you sure?”
“Yes,” said the Silver Surfer. “Yes I am.”
“You will have a place of honor in my halls. Thank you.”
“No, Einar. Thank you.”
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:34 PM

Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker

Bravo!
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:57 PM

Frank'n'stay Woo who?

Well done Jack! It tis it tis a glorious thing to be a pumpkin king, is it not? Glad to see you're still writing. You are very good at it, to be sure! Keep up the good work!
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank'n'stay View Post
Well done Jack! It tis it tis a glorious thing to be a pumpkin king, is it not? Glad to see you're still writing. You are very good at it, to be sure! Keep up the good work!
Hmm, I think that would would know a lot about that, hmm, Frank'n'stay, if that is your real name? You would know about good writing, considering what I saw of yours, if this is who I think it is.
Old July 12th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Rejoice, one and all. I bring tidings of great fanboyism. Another chapter has been delivered to us. Also, minor note: Deathclaw767, I tried to respond to your PM, but you seem to have disabled your capacity to receive them. Turn it back on and PM me when you do.

“There is a complication.”
“I don’t like complications,” Spider-Man said. “They’re too complicated.”
“Indeed.”
Ullar waved his hand over the magical model of the fortress.
“As I said, it is decrepit and hard to defend. The walls are weak, having been built nearly a century ago. But,” Ullar paused as the fortress was covered by the tiny bugs, arranged as a glowing shield. “The fortress contains an amulet. This particular one has been activated, and it has projected a shield over the entire fortification. It has repelled every arrow, bullet and magic shot we have thrown at it. But we have witnessed the enemy moving in and out through a gap in the shield, here.”
Ullar pointed to a small arch of stone that was set into the fortress at ground level.
“Somehow, it repels the shield in this one spot. Only at this point is it accessible. We need someone to go in and deactivate the shield.”
“Namely, us.”
“Yes,” Ullar said, closing the magical model. “I cannot stress the importance of capturing this amulet. Utgar’s reinforcements are on the move, and if they reach the fortress before we can claim the amulet, it is as good as Utgar’s. We must claim it soon if we are to claim it at all.”
“Okay, let’s go.”
“We can’t just waltz in, Parker,” Cap said, folding his arms. “We’re both pretty easy to see. They’ll see us a mile away.”
“So? We’ve walked through bullets before.”
“This is magic. There are probably lots of worse things than bullets here.”
“Well, then, what’s the plan, bossman?”
“You could fight magic with magic,” Ullar said. “We have ways of making things invisible, or nearly so. Let us talk with Sonlen. He is a powerful wiz--excuse me, Archmage, and he could conceivably come up with a temporary solution. Come.”
Ullar left the room, followed by Captain America and Jandar. Spider-Man started to follow, but was stopped.
“Hey,” Moriko said.
Spider-Man had almost forgotten she was in the room because she was so quiet. But, that was what ninjas did, didn’t they?
“Thank you,” she said reluctantly. “I couldn’t have got down without you.”
“No problem. That’s my job.”
“Ahh…after you come back from the fortress, do you think that--”
“I’m married.”
“What?”
“I’m married. Sorry.”
“Oh, no,” Moriko said. “I’m sorry, I--”
“No harm done. Easy mistake. Not like I wear a ring or anything.”
“So, uh…”
“No awkwardness?”
“No.”
“Friends?” Spider-Man asked, extending a hand.
“Yes,” Moriko said. She shook it and nodded. “Who is she?”
“Girl called Mary Jane. Normally, I wouldn’t tell you that, but you’re from a different Earth, so you seem safe.”
“She’s lucky to have a powerful man like you wrapped around her finger.”
“Is she ever,” Spider-Man grinned beneath his mask. “See you around?”
“Yes.”
Spider-Man turned and slung a web at a run, swinging away into the trees.

“Invisibility’s a tricky proposition,” Sonlen said. He lounged against a tree with his dragon on his hand. He was feeding it some meat with an indifferent expression. “It can go many ways, none of them pleasant. I knew an elf who tried it, and messed up. Only his skin became invisible. Nasty stuff.”
Captain America rubbed his chest nervously. He didn’t like magic. You couldn’t explain it, you couldn’t question it, you couldn’t know how it worked. It was just magic, it worked by magic, and you had to leave it at that.
“Asolofft!” Sonlen called to a nearby elf.
The elf walked up and bowed.
“Yes, Archmage?” he said.
“Go get me the Tome of Illusion. We need to get an invisibility spell up and running yesterday.”
“Immediately, Archmage.”
“Hmm,” Sonlen murmured as the elf ran off. “Asolofft’s name, translated loosely into your tongue, means ‘Kicker of Leaves’. He sculpts these fantastic dioramas of the terrain features back on Feylund.”
“How does that help us, Sonlen?” Ullar asked patiently.
“It doesn’t,” Sonlen sniffed, putting his dragon on his shoulder and standing up. “I just thought it was interesting. Ah, here’s the Tome. Thank you, Asolofft.”
“My pleasure, Archmage.”
“Let’s see, let’s see,” Sonlen said, licking his finger and flipping through the pages of the Tome. “Invincibility, invitation, inviolate…doesn’t seem to be in here…”
Just then Sonlen’s dragon twittered something. Sonlen looked at it and raised an eyebrow, then looked at the book.
“You think? I wouldn’t think so, after the big magic book fire back on Feylund. But I’ll try.”
He carefully turned to the place where the Elven word for ’invisibility’ should have been, and ran a finger over both pages. He seemed to feel something.
“Aha! Clever writers. They made the page itself invisible. I bet they thought they were right comedy geniuses. Oh, well. Simple fix, really.”
He murmured something, and the page became visible. He read it, winced, and looked up.
“Well, I have good news and bad news.”
“Yes?” Ullar said through his teeth, now quite frustrated.
“I can make you invisible, but you can’t talk. Or make any noise at all. Or think too loudly. Really, you won’t be able to communicate between the two of you at all. You’d really have to have it all planned beforehand.”
“What happens if we talk?” Cap said, wincing.
“Well,” Sonlen said, shutting the book and rubbing his chin. “How fast do humans burn?”
“Don’t you have anything else, Sonlen?” Jandar asked angrily.
“Weeelll, either that, or we cover you with leaves and hope they aren’t looking in your general direction.”
“Look, how long does this last?” Spider-Man demanded. “As long as we can get in, we can stay undetected for a long time.”
“As short a time as you need,” Sonlen said. “Thirteen minutes, at maximum.”
“Okay, let’s just get it over with,” Cap said. “Where is the fortress?

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction