Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:55 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Background music/noise

Hi all!

First off, I know there are other threads inquiring about background music for Heroscape. That isn't really the purpose of this thread.

I'm currently working on a very large (12 square feet) canvas painting of a fantasy realm/map, and, to make the hobby more enjoyable, I prefer to have background music/noise. However, I've somewhat run out of things to listen to that help my concentration. Recently I've listened to Dear Esther, various episodes of "The King of Queens," various episodes of anime, and what youtube calls "epic" music.

So my question to you all is this - what do you play in the background when you're doing your hobbies, or when at work or whatever? If you have suggestions for me, I'm open to trying them. For reference, I enjoy almost every genre of music. And I like to listen to comedians (ie: Gabriel Iglesias and Kevin James - nothing too cuss-focused please!).

Thank you!

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:14 PM

HokshilaTo Woo who?
Re: Background music/noise

I like to listen to Leave's Eyes when I'm doing anything Heroscape.
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

For the last 15+ years I've listened to a song by space/drone band called Windy and Carl while sleeping and doing anything that required concentration. It has no vocals and no distracting melodies or rhythms, but it blocks out everything for me.

I calculated that I've listened to this song over 71,000 times (if you count subliminal listenings while asleep).

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old August 8th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
For the last 15+ years I've listened to a song by space/drone band called Windy and Carl while sleeping and doing anything that required concentration. It has no vocals and no distracting melodies or rhythms, but it blocks out everything for me.

I calculated that I've listened to this song over 71,000 times (if you count subliminal listenings while asleep).
That's really nice. Thanks for posting the link.

My favorite ambient musician is Steve Roach. You could set up a Pandora station to get an idea on this type of music (as well as sample similar artists), plus you can find videos on YouTube featuring his music.

The one track I can turn to when I'm stressed or anxious is this selection from Jean Michel-Jarre, which is actually atypical of his regular music.
Old August 8th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I just turn my fan on when I'm playing. Any type of music will distract me too much to focus on the game.
Old August 8th, 2012, 05:54 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

I use a lot of Superhero soundtracks. Hans Zimmer Batman, Watchmen, Kick-Ass, Avengers, Batman TAS, etc...

Plus I have tons of other instrumental stuff I use.
Old August 9th, 2012, 01:28 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
Quote:

My favorite ambient musician is Steve Roach. You could set up a Pandora station to get an idea on this type of music (as well as sample similar artists), plus you can find videos on YouTube featuring his music.

The one track I can turn to when I'm stressed or anxious is this selection from Jean Michel-Jarre, which is actually atypical of his regular music.
Steve Roach is pretty good, thanks for the tip.

@Gulp: Do you know if it's binaural? It sounds like it would be, somewhat. Anyway, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
I use a lot of Superhero soundtracks. Hans Zimmer Batman, Watchmen, Kick-Ass, Avengers, Batman TAS, etc...

I love instrumental music (video game, RPG, film). I just discovered an unofficial Guild Wars 2 music playlist on youtube. It seems to work when I paint.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work

Last edited by 'Scaper94; August 9th, 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: </IMG>
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
Quote:

Steve Roach is pretty good, thanks for the tip.

@Gulp: Do you know if it's binaural? It sounds like it would be, somewhat. Anyway, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post

I love instrumental music (video game, RPG, film). I just discovered an unofficial Guild Wars 2 music playlist on youtube. It seems to work when I paint.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
I doubt it. The band plays this stuff using guitars and basses with a grutload of effects pedals.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Iron & Wine's recent "Kiss Each Other Clean" and Alexi Murdoch's brilliant "Time Without Consequence" are both good ways to fill your head with music which you can tune out, if you have to focus on something. But if you listen, you'll be hearing some of the best music of the past few years.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:48 AM

DrummerScaper97 knows what's in an order marker DrummerScaper97 knows what's in an order marker DrummerScaper97 knows what's in an order marker

I'll listen to a lot of Radiohead. Some of my bigger suggestions (if you're going for calm) are - Kid A from Kid A, Treefingers from Kid A, Morning Bell from Kid A, Exit Music (For a Film) from OK Computer, Karma Police from OK Computer, Fake Plastic Trees from The Bends, Weird Fishes from IN RAINBOWS/, and Faust Arp from IN RAINBOWS/.

Oh boy - grease up those hexagons!
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old September 26th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:

Wow. That is really nice. I should get that for when I'm writing. I'm currently working on a series of linked sci-fi/noir/dystopian short-stories with heavy ESP elements and I've been having trouble concentrating as most music is too full of ups and downs, and no music means all I can hear is the stupid birds, squirrels, and other background noises that constantly invade the act of creation.

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General