Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth
I am also going to reject Nassik River. The elbow edges being the high ground will favor range and the twisting road will hamper melee. The trees could be positioned better to allow more cover through the middle of the map.
--
Map reviews:

Klomar's Training Ground - Location 7 by geosmores

I played on this map quite a bit already. Being the nominator of the map, obviously I feel it is worthy. The single master build is so rare these days. Aesthetically I find the map to be very pleasing especially considering there is no other expansions used to spruce it up. The footprint of the map is large for a single master build yet there is some rugged terrain. The ruins provide good cover right in the middle of the map. I have found most units and army builds neither prosper nor perish due to map design. It is a good tournament map that has some aesthetic value and it only uses one master set. I vote YES to putting Location 7 in the Battlefields of Valhalla.

Bayou Bridge by T-Bomb

I like the build; it was quick and easy. I got a few games on it last night. The size of the map, while very small, was not a negative. I did find that the hills proved to be impassable on one side for 4 high figures. This dictated game play a little too much for my liking. Basically certain units had to go this way or that way depending on their height or sculpt. I felt it didn’t allow for enough variety in tactics and thus lead to predictable game play. In general, I found it a quick and fun map but felt it bottlenecked a little and dictated game play too much. I enjoyed my games on the Bayou but I am going to have to vote NO to putting it in the Battlefields of Valhalla.
--
I have updated the first page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿchean
Updated 10/2/2007:

Maps pending acceptance for review:

Ashonqurk Fields by geosmores
YES = 3 (Riggler, Rÿchean, Revdyer); NO = 1 (Velenne); Pending = 2 (Eclipse, Elstree)

The Nassik River Pass by Sirpongo
YES = 1 (Revdyer); NO = 2 (Riggler, Rÿchean); Pending = 3 (Velenne, Eclipse, Elstree)

Maps currently being reviewed:

Broken Skyline by Longheroscaper
YES = 4 (Revdyer, Velenne, Rÿchean, Elstree); NO = 0 ; Pending = 2 ( Riggler, Eclipse)

Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh by Rÿchean
YES = 2 (Revdyer, Riggler); NO = 0 ; Pending = 3 (Elstree, Eclipse, Velenne)
*Rÿchean removed from review process per being map creator*

Klomar's Training Ground - Location 7 by geosmores
YES = 1 (Rÿchean); NO = 0 ; Pending = 5 (Riggler, Revdyer, Eclipse, Elstree, Velenne)

Bayou Bridge by T-Bomb
YES = 0 ; NO = 1 (Rÿchean); Pending = 5 (Riggler, Revdyer, Velenne, Eclipse, Elstree, )

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:25 PM

T-bomb has disabled reputation
Rÿchean,

Thanks for reviewing Bayou Bridge! That's good input about short units not being able to get to the second hill. I added a stepping hex with only slight rearrangement, making highly played units like Krav, Nakita, etc.. have access to the hill. Doing this allows both sides to get to the top of each hill in the same number of turns - opening up the map a lot more as far as strategic versatility. Do you think this adds to the competitiveness of the map, or is the bridge issue still too much of a hindrance? Here's a pic of the fix I'm talking about (the step hex is on the lower right side of the img)

Once again, thanks for the feedback.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:30 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Hmm... only one hex? Multiple units of Krav won't be able to go up all at once... then again, that might be a good thing.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Sorry, Sirpongo, I'm going to have to decline on Nassik River too. Bridges too often become a kind of fortified high point on a map, so I like what you're trying to do with the hills. My objection is that it looks like the second RTTFF is used here principally to get a second large tree to balance the symmetry. That doesn't really help when you're setting up for a tournament and road sets are at a premium.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:16 AM

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bomb
Rÿchean,

Thanks for reviewing Bayou Bridge! That's good input about short units not being able to get to the second hill. I added a stepping hex with only slight rearrangement, making highly played units like Krav, Nakita, etc.. have access to the hill. Doing this allows both sides to get to the top of each hill in the same number of turns - opening up the map a lot more as far as strategic versatility. Do you think this adds to the competitiveness of the map, or is the bridge issue still too much of a hindrance? Here's a pic of the fix I'm talking about (the step hex is on the lower right side of the img)

Once again, thanks for the feedback.
This may or may not be necessary; the other judges may well feel the map in its current form is worthy. We need to let the map be reviewed as it is then accept or decline a revision after that point.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:41 AM

Sirpongo has disabled reputation
No prob. Thanks guys. Like I said, it was a recent map I had made that meet the criteria. I like it and we haven't had problems playing on it, but I see your points. I'll work up a new map specificially for this and submit it later. Thanks for the feedback.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:01 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirpongo
No prob. Thanks guys. Like I said, it was a recent map I had made that meet the criteria. I like it and we haven't had problems playing on it, but I see your points. I'll work up a new map specificially for this and submit it later. Thanks for the feedback.
Don't worry about it Sirpongo. Our acceptence rate right now is 1 out of 5 (or 20 %)of maps nominated end up getting accepted.

That's not a formula we go by, that just happens to be our statistics. We could see the next 40 maps nominated not get in. So whatever you do, don't get discouraged and try again.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Another recommendation I would give you, though you did mention it earlier, is that I would make sure the map is tested by you and others that you don't know. I believe that almost all (if not all) of the maps in the BOV have been used in tournaments and have been around for a while.
Though certainly it is not a prerequisite for a map to have been used in a tournament, I think any map that is submitted to the BOV for review should be played on and used by more than just the map creator and his friends.
How is this accomplished, you ask? Beg people! I say it half jokingly, but when I first started making maps I would politely PM people and ask for assistance with playtesting my maps. Honestly, I can't list all the people that I have recieved assistance from because I would be afraid to leave out a name or two. And when you do receive help, mention it in your map threads by name, (even when they rip a map or two apart).
Some people may not have time, and some may just have time to "glance over" your maps, but any and all feedback is valuable. Use it.

Oh yeah,... and keep up the good work.

UPC's Heroscape Strategy Blog (and whatever else the Muse sends my way...)

Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler
Quote:
Don't worry about it Sirpongo. Our acceptence rate right now is 1 out of 5 (or 20 %)of maps nominated end up getting accepted.

That's not a formula we go by, that just happens to be our statistics. We could see the next 40 maps nominated not get in. So whatever you do, don't get discouraged and try again.
Yes and just because I voted no doesn't mean it still can't get through. The other judges may precieve the components I cited for not approving as reasons to approve. Judging, by nature, is subjective and we have a diverse set of judges that are rarely unanimous.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:26 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
... we have a diverse set of judges that are rarely unanimous.
Ain't that the truth! Weirdos....

Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:06 PM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne
Quote:

And you should all feel sorry for Elstree since he plays these maps against me and I give feedback while the poor guy tries to post evaluations.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne
Quote:

I disagree with everything above

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios