Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old March 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven
Yes indeed killercactus. I attribute Heroscape to poker as well because a lot of people say that it's all luck when obviously it isn't. There is professional poker and poker players that win consistently. If you ever play a poker player that's actually good and know what they're doing you will see the difference. You will probably lose most of the time. Sure you will get that straight on the river every now again, but mostly you will lose. The same is with Heroscape. Yes it is a lot of luck, but there's a reason why guys like spider_poison win most of their games, they are just good and a living testament to how Heroscape has a lot of strategy.
I frequently make the same comparison with Hold'em. It is my other gaming passion.

Craig VN said something to me last year at the end of GenCon. We were discussing the results in the different events, and he said it was good to see some of the same players do well each year and across different events. I took this to mean that he thought it spoke well to the strategy and skill that it takes to play the game consistently well. In other words, if it was all luck it wouldn't be the usual faces that do well. I concur. Spider is a prime example of this.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean

Craig VN said something to me last year at the end of GenCon. We were discussing the results in the different events, and he said it was good to see some of the same players do well each year and across different events. I took this to mean that he thought it spoke well to the strategy and skill that it takes to play the game consistently well. In other words, if it was all luck it wouldn't be the usual faces that do well. I concur. Spider is a prime example of this.
You and Spider are prime examples of this.
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Added #18 which is "knowing some statistics". I think it's a worthwhile strategy for young and budding heroscapers to know that some of their math education won't go to waste and that they should actually pay attention in statistics class, as it can benefit them in even more ways than just heroscape.
Old October 15th, 2009, 05:47 PM

LMB knows what's in an order marker LMB knows what's in an order marker
Re: Heroscape Competitive Rules of Thumb

Interesting thread...

On the subject of luck/probability/etc what I try to keep in mind is that things always seem to even out, usually in the course of the same game. I've had games where I've thrown 15 attack dice on a turn and not rolled a single skull, and then on defense I can't get a shield, but I get initiative every time. Then later in the game I can't miss and get miracle defense rolls. I try to minimize reliance on "good luck" by analyzing the probability of a skull vs the probability of a shield and only attacking where probability is in my favor. Of course, it's not always possible - sometimes you have to endure some pain to take out a particularly key opponent figure. But that said, just because it's statistically improbable doesn't mean I don't roll for mind shackle.

On winning/losing gracefully the way I look at it is the game is entertainment. I'm watching a great battle unfold. If it's a good fight it's fun to watch whether I win or not. I love watching an "engagement dance" up a hill, even when I'm the one struggling just to stay on level ground.
Old October 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Yaish knows what's in an order marker Yaish knows what's in an order marker

Here's another rule for your consideration.

Pick your attacking figures and their targets carefully.

If you've got a ranged squad, it's generally advisable to go for the longest range shots first. Why? Because if you kill your target, your other squad members need something to shoot at too. My nephew frequently loses some of his attacks because he uses the figure closest first, and if it kills my figure, then his remaining squad members may be out of range of the rest of my figures.
Same goes for picking match-ups based on height. When several figures in a squad are on different levels, going after other figures on differing levels, pick the best matchups first. For example, if your opponent has a fig on level 3, you have one on level 2, and the rest are all on level one, then use your fig on level 2 to go after the figures on level one. It's the only match up in that encounter that gives you height advantage. The remainder should concentrate on taking out the units on level ground, as they have the best chance of success.

In melee, when multiple figures are engaged pick wisely who attacks first. If you have three figs engaged to two of your opponents figs, start with the guys on the end. That way if you kill that figure your remaining units still have someone to attack.
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Good posts. I like.
Old February 11th, 2016, 03:35 AM

ekoxe1 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post

2. Pay attention to to final placement on your third order marker - This has to do with situations like those you encounter on lava maps. make sure you're not on the magma at the end of your 3rd order marker, you don't want to needlessly have to take damage that could have been avoided if you just were paying attention.

noob question but how does this happen? How can you move a unit onto a bright red tile and need attention to spot this?
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekoxe1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post

2. Pay attention to to final placement on your third order marker - This has to do with situations like those you encounter on lava maps. make sure you're not on the magma at the end of your 3rd order marker, you don't want to needlessly have to take damage that could have been avoided if you just were paying attention.

noob question but how does this happen? How can you move a unit onto a bright red tile and need attention to spot this?
I meant whatever the lava tiles are that you don't have to roll a d20 immediately, but rather the ones that you only roll for damage at the end of round 3.
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

He's saying don't move your squad of Gladiators onto the lava field - not molten lava - with OM 2, when your OM 3 is on Guilty McCreech. You could lose your whole squad.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles